Welcome to the new BlahBlahCafe!

Having trouble registering? You can contact us at the "Contact us" link at the bottom of the page.

Jean-Michel Jarre: People need to pay for arts online

Post Posted Mon Feb 01, 2021 9:18 pm
Kanta
English Moderator & Miss News

Likes given: 79
Likes received  : 311

Jean-Michel Jarre: People need to pay for arts online

The musician Jean-Michel Jarre says people should stop considering music "to be as free as the air we breathe" and pay for art and entertainment online in the same way as if they were attending a real event.
He told BBC World News that 30% of artists were now out of work and it was "unacceptable" for the British government to tell artists struggling to survive to find another job.

Source and video: https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/av/entertain ... s-55891876
Jarregirl YouTube
Concerts attended:
Théâtre Marigny, Paris - 2007
Symphony Hall, Birmingham - 2008
RAH, London - 2008
Wembley Arena, London - 2009
NIA, Birmingham - 2009
POP Bercy, Paris - 2010
NIA, Birmingham - 2010
O2 Arena, London - 2010
Zénith Aréna, Lille - 2010
Port Hercule, Monaco - 2011
TUI Arena, Hannover - 2011
Festival International de Carthage - 2013
Barclaycard Arena, Birmingham - 2016
Post Posted Mon Feb 01, 2021 11:31 pm
Robi83

Likes given: 3
Likes received  : 14

His English is hardly bearable....
Post Posted Tue Feb 02, 2021 9:38 am
SF01

Likes received  : 2

He needs to release all those remixes since T&T on CD singles, then people will start buying stuff. I want CD singles with the remixes he released only digitally, or on limited EPs and the Alone Together and WttOS on Blu-Rays and older concerts on BDs too, especially the ones from VHS.
Streaming doesn't pay musicians, only physical merch does, so crowdfund a new album, crowdfund a livestream concert, release that concert on VHS and BD then, this is how musicians can earn money from their music.
He says that people don't pay artists for listening music online, it's true, from a certain point of view, from the point of view of the people, they do pay, but that money doesn't go to musicians, this is what those people don't realize, in their opinion if they pay for spotify subsciption, it's all fair and square, but they don't know how this money is distributed and majority of it stays in the pocket of spotify, same applies to other streaming services.
Post Posted Tue Feb 02, 2021 10:29 am
Dr_Jones

Likes given: 194
Likes received  : 402

Actually, doing concerts is where the money is nowadays. The CD single format is as good as dead, sadly. Only a few bands still release those. It is more convenient to release digital only. But I totally agree with you. Physical is still my preferred format.

Another side-effect from releasing digital: look at the Vintage extended mix, Bourges tracks, even Remix EP1 and 2, they are all hard to get because digital amnesia is a thing.
Post Posted Tue Feb 02, 2021 2:34 pm
SF01

Vintage disappeared from Virgin France ages ago, it wasn't even available lossless.
Remix1 is available, but Remix2 was dead on arrival, quickly removed and the last store that had it was 20$, USA exclusive and removed fairly recentely.
Meanwhile CD can always be found on second-hand market... Bourges were never available lossless either, which is a shame, because ti was a good concert.

Look at WttOS, someone made a stunningly looking bootleg, even with a fake barcode, it shows there is still potential. Better, look at Radiophonie 1000 copies sold out on a fly, press 1000 CDs of a single with the concert, or remixes and people will buy every last copy of it, while at the same time not investing much in millions of copies of the single.
Post Posted Tue Feb 02, 2021 3:04 pm
shadow

Likes received  : 35

Record companies have fucked the artists over since the beginning of time and when streaming came around, they did so once again and even worse this time by gaining nearly all revenue for themselves instead of finally having a chance to give the artists their fair share. If anything, those big companies need to be thrown to the side already. Seeing some indie artists thrive is great, but with the current lockdown, they're struggling as well and it's rough. Oh well, maybe some day...
Dr_Jones wrote: Tue Feb 02, 2021 10:29 amAnother side-effect from releasing digital: look at the Vintage extended mix, Bourges tracks, even Remix EP1 and 2, they are all hard to get because digital amnesia is a thing.
There's a reason I have zero problems (illegally) downloading digital only releases. You have zero guarantee that you can still redownload it down the line. I've purchased a couple of albums on Google Play Music, since I could not find them online anywhere else. Now that service is killed in favour for YouTube Unlimited, the problem? I can transfer the license to stream the music to that service, but the download option is gone. All those albums are just gone as an option on my PC.

And while CD is a small business these days, records are doing pretty good and are often offered as multiple editions with coloured variants being the limited ones and selling out more often than not within no time. There's still a (small) market for physical goods, but the question is also, can you offer a enticing enough product that people are willing to spend the time, money and these days more importantly, space on.
27-11-10: Ahoy Rotterdam
22-11-16: Heineken Music Hall Amsterdam
Post Posted Tue Feb 02, 2021 3:17 pm
SF01

Not to mention Indie artists NEED a third party to have their content placed in streaming services, it's a requirement and they obviously have to pay them.

Same with me, no problem whatsoever, especially that say beatport does not have your downloads tied to your account, you can't redownload it, if your HDD is broken. Even on bandcamp albums can be removed so there is nothing you can redownload.

• 2020 Zoolook.nl