Welcome to the new BlahBlahCafe!

Having trouble registering? You can contact us at the "Contact us" link at the bottom of the page.

Amazonia

Post Posted Fri Sep 24, 2021 7:26 am
Kanta
English Moderator & Miss News

Likes given: 79
Likes received  : 311

New interview published on 23/09/2021

Jean-Michel Jarre Redefines Music to Picture in Crafting an Immersive Score for Famed Photographer Sebastião Salgado

Source: https://variety.com/2021/artisans/news/ ... 235072981/
Jarregirl YouTube
Concerts attended:
Théâtre Marigny, Paris - 2007
Symphony Hall, Birmingham - 2008
RAH, London - 2008
Wembley Arena, London - 2009
NIA, Birmingham - 2009
POP Bercy, Paris - 2010
NIA, Birmingham - 2010
O2 Arena, London - 2010
Zénith Aréna, Lille - 2010
Port Hercule, Monaco - 2011
TUI Arena, Hannover - 2011
Festival International de Carthage - 2013
Barclaycard Arena, Birmingham - 2016
Post Posted Thu Sep 30, 2021 3:01 pm
rinogurr

Likes received  : 47

Preparations for Amazônia Exhibition at Maxxi Museum in Rome

Post Posted Tue Oct 19, 2021 6:18 pm
Richard-Eastham

Likes given: 160
Likes received  : 44

There are only so many ways to say these things, and only so many times a poor mortal can hear them. On the face of it, Salgado’s enormous exhibition, set to an immersive soundscape by Seventies new-age pioneer Jean-Michel Jarre, sounds more impressive than impactful. Salgado is everyone’s idea of an engaged artist -- his photographs of workers at the Serra Pelada gold mine in Brazil are world-famous -- but is it even in us, now, to feel any more concerned about the rainforest? Turns out that it is. Jarre’s music plays a significant part in this show, curated and designed by Sebastião’s wife Lelia Wanick Salgado. Assembled from audio archives in Geneva, it manages to be both politely ambient and often quite frightening in its dizzying assemblage of elemental roars (touches of Jóhann Jóhannsson, there), bird calls, forest sounds and human voices. And Salgado’s epic visions of the Amazon more than match such Stürm und Drang.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/art/reviews ... inspiring/
--
01.09.93 Manchester / 07.06.97 Manchester / 30.03.08 London / 22.05.09 London / 10.10.10 London / 01.07.11 Monaco / 04.05.16 London / 23.07.16 Macclesfield / 06.10.16 Brighton / 07.10.16 London.
Post Posted Tue Oct 19, 2021 6:20 pm
Richard-Eastham

Likes given: 160
Likes received  : 44

Also, I attended the opening day of the Amazonia exhibition in London on 13th October 2021 .... I'll try and post a report soon. It was definitely worth seeing the images with the music and listening to the music with the images - as intended by both SS and JMJ.
--
01.09.93 Manchester / 07.06.97 Manchester / 30.03.08 London / 22.05.09 London / 10.10.10 London / 01.07.11 Monaco / 04.05.16 London / 23.07.16 Macclesfield / 06.10.16 Brighton / 07.10.16 London.
Post Posted Tue Oct 19, 2021 6:39 pm
Dr_Jones

Likes given: 194
Likes received  : 402

Ha, I just visited the one in Paris today. It's in the last two weeks but there were still a lot of people.

The music is the full album. I stayed to hear the end of the album, which was a fade-out and then track 1 startes again. To be sure I made a recording with a simple mp3 player, but in the end that wasn't needed.

The music works perfectly with the exhibition. The photos are as impressive as ever. The big format really brings the photos to life.

Merchandising was sparse: the book was for sale for 100 euro, there was a very exclusive version of the book that was 4x the size of that which was 3000 euros! The huge posters of the exhibition were sold out.
Post Posted Tue Dec 07, 2021 11:30 pm
Dr_Jones

Richard-Eastham wrote: Tue Oct 19, 2021 6:20 pm Also, I attended the opening day of the Amazonia exhibition in London on 13th October 2021 .... I'll try and post a report soon. It was definitely worth seeing the images with the music and listening to the music with the images - as intended by both SS and JMJ.
What were your impressions? I'm curious to know.
Post Posted Sun Jan 09, 2022 1:05 pm
rinogurr

As part of the Amazonia exhibition and the release of the album of the same name. Jean-Michel Jarre answers questions from the curator of the MEG. Registration of June 14, 2021.

Post Posted Sun Jan 09, 2022 9:25 pm
Kanta

rinogurr wrote: Sun Jan 09, 2022 1:05 pm As part of the Amazonia exhibition and the release of the album of the same name. Jean-Michel Jarre answers questions from the curator of the MEG. Registration of June 14, 2021.

Official video was shared here: https://www.ville-ge.ch/meg/collections_09.php
Jarregirl YouTube
Concerts attended:
RAH, London - 2008
NIA, Birmingham - 2009
POP Bercy, Paris - 2010
NIA, Birmingham - 2010
O2 Arena, London - 2010
Post Posted Fri Jan 28, 2022 9:02 am
Kanta

Amazônia Exhibition in Brazil - 15 February - 10 July 2022

Source: https://www.e-flux.com/announcements/43 ... doamaznia/
Jarregirl YouTube
Concerts attended:
RAH, London - 2008
NIA, Birmingham - 2009
POP Bercy, Paris - 2010
NIA, Birmingham - 2010
O2 Arena, London - 2010
Post Posted Sun Feb 13, 2022 8:48 pm
rinogurr

Post Posted Wed Mar 30, 2022 9:07 pm
Kanta

THE SCIENCE AND INDUSTRY MUSEUM IN MANCHESTER IS OPEN. BOOK YOUR FREE TICKETS NOW.

Sebastião Salgado, winner of the 2021 Praemium Imperiale award for painting, presents Amazônia, a breath-taking photography exhibition that celebrates the indigenous peoples and varied landscapes of the Brazilian rainforest.

For seven years, Salgado worked with twelve indigenous communities to create this magnificent photography exhibition. The result is an incredible collection of powerful black-and-white photographs that reveal Salgado’s vision of the Amazon when the forest is approaching a crucial tipping point in the fight against climate change.

Feel immersed in the Amazon rainforest as you delve into dramatic landscapes and sweeping aerial shots of immense waterfalls and stormy skies and discover the stunning portraits of indigenous leaders and their communities, accompanied by a soundtrack evoking the sounds of the forest by renowned composer Jean-Michel Jarre.

Source: https://www.scienceandindustrymuseum.or ... d=Amazonia
Jarregirl YouTube
Concerts attended:
RAH, London - 2008
NIA, Birmingham - 2009
POP Bercy, Paris - 2010
NIA, Birmingham - 2010
O2 Arena, London - 2010
Post Posted Wed Apr 06, 2022 9:22 am
Kanta

New interview with Jean-Michel Jarre via Strumenti Musicali .net - 02/03/2022
Jean-Michel Jarre: a journey through the sounds of the Amazon forest
Amazônia is the title of the latest work by Jean-Michel Jarre, the soundtrack of the extraordinary photographic exhibition of the same name by the Brazilian Sebastião Salgado, this time dedicated to nature and to the communities that live in that strip of Brazilian land that occupies the southern part of the Amazonia.
The Amazônia exhibition, set up last April at the Philharmonie De Paris museum and arriving in Italy in October, is made up of over 200 works created by Salgado in six years of stay in those areas. These impressive photos inspired the musical composition that Jean-Michel Jarre recorded for Sony Music on CD, vinyl and in a special binaural version, which immerses the listener in the sound universe of the forest, in a mix of concrete and electronic music at rhythmically pressing strokes, between the cries of animals, the songs of birds and the roar of waters that flow or that descend from the sky in copious downpours. A composition rich in atmospheres, far removed from the stereotypes of ambient electronic music or world music usually used to comment on ethnographic representations.
PC How did this collaboration for Amazônia start and how much did you know about Salgado's work?
Jean-Michel JarreI have always been a great admirer of Salgado's works. The of it are always very hard and crude displays. I remember his wonderful Gold mine exhibit and his spectacular Genesis project of images on the origins of our planet. When I was called by the Philharmonie De Paris, where the premiere of Amazônia was set up simultaneously with San Paolo in Brazil (before moving to Rome, London, Tokyo and New York) I was immediately intrigued by the proposal to make the soundtrack, because it is always very stimulating to compose music for a photo exhibition, as it is a challenge full of traps. You can fall into the trap of composing ambient music as if you were in a Spa or creating word music in an ethnomusicological key, which I don't like or, again, compose something too distant from the contents of the photos ... not to mention the problem of where to place the audio diffusion system within the exhibition path. On the other hand, it was also interesting to celebrate a place like the Amazon at a time when people have little interest in ecological problems because they are so obsessed with the pandemic.
PC It is interesting that this work of yours is somehow equidistant from all genres of electronic music. He understands them all and the elements of concrete music act as a binder.
JMJ For me this is a very special project for the kind of approach I had in composing it. It is an electronic music composition that takes into consideration the fact that the forest is a very noisy place full of ambient sounds that have nothing to do with each other. It's a kind of messy orchestra in which every element, the chirping of birds, the sound of rain, the songs of men and women, are completely separate from each other, but at the end of the day all these sounds make up the great harmony of the forest. It was a very interesting challenge to explore ....
PC You have divided the composition into nine parts, but I would like to know which scenarios each of them refers to, because I found it difficult to understand ...
JMJ You're right and I understand how you feel, because these nine parts are actually one composition. It's all the fault of the fucking streaming platform we have to undergo today. My friends at Sony Music, whom I love and whom I thank, have asked me to divide the composition into shorter parts because otherwise it would have been technically impossible to load it. Today the platform decides how our music should be ... I actually officially communicate to you and your readers that they can forget about the 9 parts!
PC There are a lot of distorted and saturated sounds in the composition with very loud ambient sounds. The electronic parts move from one side of the soundstage to the other as if to represent civilized man walking within a primitive natural environment.
JMJ This description of yours is very interesting. I would start from the aspect that concerns the distortion. I have always been interested in the fact that in nature there are a lot of sounds that are distorted for us only because it is the limit of our ear that identifies them as such. Sometimes the sound of birds is so violent that it seems distorted to our ear, but certainly not to that of the birds themselves. And anyway, I also really like to mistreat the typical new age or world music approach by creating tensions and "incidents" that create different dynamic levels.
PC How did you choose the musical instruments to use for this project?
JMJI often quote Federico Fellini, who said he was not as interested in filming the sea as he was in recreating the idea of the sea in our minds. This is my own dream approach to electronic music. For me it is more interesting to recreate the sound of the wind or the sound of birds using electronic instruments such as analog synthesizers with a hyper-realistic approach, perhaps mixing these sounds with the real ones. I used the ARP 2600 a lot, the same one I used on the old Oxygen record, to recreate the sounds of wind and birds. I also used the EMS VCS3 along with other modular synths, some samplers and also some software plug-ins for granular synthesis sounds. I got a lot of inspiration from films like Werner Herzog's Fitzcarraldo and Alfred Hitchcock's Birds, where a lot of fake bird sounds were used.
PC Where did you get the real sounds instead, for example of monkeys and human songs?
JMJ I had a lot of help from the Ethnographic Museum of Geneva to which the Philharmonie De Paris is connected. The concept of the exhibition envisaged the use of audio materials from this museum and so I used them to create the sound link with the contents of Salgado's photos. Then I avoided keeping this didactic link to move on to the oneiric approach I was telling you about earlier.
PC How was the binaural mix created?
JMJHonestly, I am not obsessed with binaurality or surround sound, just as I believe that the evolution of modern music in stereo was an artificial process started in the 50s / 60s to expand monophonic listening. Stereo does not exist in nature because every sound is generated in mono. We have our ears with a multi-channel sound environment around us. If you're producing a techno track, probably the most suitable mix is all mono with just a few left and right sounds. The binaural microphone recording is done to simulate listening to a person in real space, but in an electronic music project you don't have to recreate a real environment. For Amazônia I created an environment with several independent sound sources positioned in different points of the space. I went to produce it in Radio France's immersive studio in Paris using a special IRCAM software with which I positioned the pre-recorded sources in space. I am very happy with the result because usually binaural mixes seem like a game, while in this case the feeling is that of being right in the middle of a sound environment.
PC Perhaps precisely because in this case the binaural process is an integral part of the production ...
JMJ I think that creating a binaural or surround listening of a symphony orchestra is a contradiction because we have spent centuries to create a logic in the positioning of the instrument sections within the orchestra and it makes no sense to twist it. On the other hand, it is more interesting to work dynamically on the sounds of the different instruments while preserving their position within the orchestra, which must remain a single voice.
PC Your reality, on the other hand, is completely rebuilt. Not true but likely ...
JMJ And the composition process was quite different from how I've worked in the past. It was like painting for images in an impressionistic way, not with a beginning and an end, but as if I had a canvas to paint on randomly. I tried to imagine sounds in space without thinking of the composition in a linear or vertical way as if it were a score, but of objects in space. It was very interesting because it's a very cool way to approach composition.
PC This is also the reason why the composition frequently changes mood, moving from one theme to another without lingering too long on a scene.
JMJ On the one hand, I wanted to create the condition of nomadism through sounds that appear and disappear within the forest along the way. In addition there is the idea that in nature there is the sensation of a consistency that is not linear. For example, if you are on a beach, you can watch the waves and hear children playing on one side and the wind blowing on the other side. They are random elements that come from the surrounding environment. But you can also focus on the waves that only apparently always look the same. If you sample two minutes of waves and repeat them in a loop, after ten minutes you get bored ... you immediately understand that they are not reality. For this reason I wanted to create something that changes over time, through surprises, accidents and unexpected aspects of life.
Amazônia is a photographic exhibition created in collaboration with the Ethnographic Museum of Geneva. The curator and set designer of the exhibition is Lélia Wanick Salgado.

Source: https://www.strumentimusicali.net/news/ ... 02122.html
Jarregirl YouTube
Concerts attended:
RAH, London - 2008
NIA, Birmingham - 2009
POP Bercy, Paris - 2010
NIA, Birmingham - 2010
O2 Arena, London - 2010
Post Posted Wed Apr 06, 2022 9:36 am
Dr_Jones

great interview
Post Posted Thu Apr 07, 2022 9:24 pm
jeanbatman

Likes given: 10
Likes received  : 15

JMJ being rude "fucking streaming platform" Wow.
Post Posted Thu Apr 07, 2022 10:10 pm
Dr_Jones

jeanbatman wrote: Thu Apr 07, 2022 9:24 pm JMJ being rude "fucking streaming platform" Wow.
Something got lost in translation :D

• 2020 Zoolook.nl