Welcome to the new BlahBlahCafe!

Having trouble registering? You can contact us at the "Contact us" link at the bottom of the page.

#PlanetJarre

Post Posted Fri Mar 26, 2021 2:44 pm
nexxxus

Likes given: 99
Likes received  : 23

yesterday I finalized my own stereo mix of MFS... a restoration from the single recording of the radio broadcast in mono.
The question I ask myself when I go to discogs => https://www.discogs.com/fr/Jean-Michel- ... se/3289568 , I see 34'16 "total but we hear only 30 min.
What are these missing 4 minutes?
Post Posted Fri Mar 26, 2021 3:18 pm
Dr_Jones

Online Now
Likes given: 194
Likes received  : 402

Maybe the start of side B where the presenter is talking through the track?
Maybe you can compare the times with these:
Side A total duration: 18:24
Side B total duration: 15:52

And the tape recording might be too fast.
Post Posted Fri Mar 26, 2021 3:37 pm
Jote

Likes given: 55
Likes received  : 68

Yes, many recording that are floating around are playing at about 5% too fast (which results in music being pitched one semitone higher than it should be - this can be easily evidenced by comparing MPS tracks to Diva, RV5.3, Blah Blah Cafe or even the MPS from Planet Jarre)
Post Posted Fri Mar 26, 2021 3:59 pm
nexxxus

Jote wrote: Fri Mar 26, 2021 3:37 pm Yes, many recording that are floating around are playing at about 5% too fast (which results in music being pitched one semitone higher than it should be - this can be easily evidenced by comparing MPS tracks to Diva, RV5.3, Blah Blah Cafe or even the MPS from Planet Jarre)
yes precisely I used the known pieces included in MFS for restoration but I was wondering why 4 more minutes on the Discogs referencing of the Official LP edition?

I have a result of 30 minutes because if I stretch the tracks I have the feeling of a downtempo or the pitch/tone is different
Post Posted Fri Mar 26, 2021 4:30 pm
nexxxus

Dr_Jones wrote: Fri Mar 26, 2021 3:18 pm Maybe the start of side B where the presenter is talking through the track?
probably

I find this
https://aerozonejmj.fr/musique-pour-supermarche/
Post Posted Fri Mar 26, 2021 7:51 pm
shadow

Likes received  : 35

It's 2021 and still no high quality recording of the record out there... Blegh :(
27-11-10: Ahoy Rotterdam
22-11-16: Heineken Music Hall Amsterdam
Post Posted Fri Mar 26, 2021 9:30 pm
Jote

I just want the Overture. JMJ dropped the ball not putting it on PJ instead of P1.
Post Posted Fri Mar 26, 2021 11:19 pm
shadow

Likes received  : 35

I can kind of see why it was left out, it's without a doubt the standout track of the bunch. All the later reused (and now the demo) aren't really that worth noting. Yeah it's awesome they were reused, but we can all agree that the one track we all want is the Overture, and it's without a doubt the one track I doubt we'll ever get. It's (to me anyway) the standout piece on the album.

I don't mind that it was never re-released, it's just a shame that the only recording available is absolute garbage and that (unless I've missed it) the current owner is still unknown. So a high quality rip isn't likely to happen any time soon.
27-11-10: Ahoy Rotterdam
22-11-16: Heineken Music Hall Amsterdam
Post Posted Sat Mar 27, 2021 1:17 am
nexxxus

Jote wrote: Fri Mar 26, 2021 9:30 pm I just want the Overture. JMJ dropped the ball not putting it on PJ instead of P1.
what do you mean by Overture?
no part 1? and part 2 on PlanetJarre?

so, could you give me your opinion about this version?
https://we.tl/t-iOpRuzjH1S
Post Posted Sat Mar 27, 2021 2:21 pm
Synner

Likes given: 3
Likes received  : 8

I've always thought of Supermarkets as a time-warped version of 'The Essential' compilation - a best of featuring music still to come - and that Jarre DID reuse the MFS Overture too - as the basis of Chronologie 2 - although he upped the tempo.
Post Posted Sat Mar 27, 2021 2:28 pm
Jote

nexxxus wrote: Sat Mar 27, 2021 1:17 am what do you mean by Overture?
no part 1? and part 2 on PlanetJarre?
There are two numbering schemes of the MPS album floating around
1. overture + parts 1-7
2. parts 1-8

1 is the correct one according to discogs and Wikipedia.
so, could you give me your opinion about this version?
https://we.tl/t-iOpRuzjH1S
Tempo seems to be correct, however whatever stereoizing effect you used the delay makes it sound metallic/robotic. Too much reverb IMO, makes the track lose details.
Synner wrote: Sat Mar 27, 2021 2:21 pm and that Jarre DID reuse the MFS Overture too - as the basis of Chronologie 2 - although he upped the tempo.
Hardly. If anything it served as a prototype for Zoolookologie (which makes sense given Diva and BBC). The drum loop is very similar, the tempo is similar, the rhythm of the chords is exactly the same as in the chorus of Zoolookologie (can be easily proven). Chrono 2... no, not really, unless we just consider two chords ;)
Post Posted Sat Mar 27, 2021 4:28 pm
nexxxus

Jote wrote: Sat Mar 27, 2021 2:28 pm o seems to be correct, however whatever stereoizing effect you used the delay makes it sound metallic/robotic. Too much reverb IMO, makes the track lose details.
I did my best with an original recording.
The metallic effect is already present I would say in the mono record but certainly amplified with the "stereo effect". However, I really tried to moderate that unlike some remaster where there is too much reverb still making the listening even more confusing, I think.

And the Opening is particularly delicate to work
Post Posted Sat Mar 27, 2021 6:14 pm
Jote

nexxxus wrote: Sat Mar 27, 2021 4:28 pm The metallic effect is already present I would say in the mono record but certainly amplified with the "stereo effect".
Doubt it. Either you have a bad copy then or we're talking about different things.

This guy has done a pretty good job

http://www.jeromeglick.net/audio/remaster-jmj-mps.html
Post Posted Sat Mar 27, 2021 8:41 pm
nexxxus

Jote wrote: Sat Mar 27, 2021 6:14 pm Doubt it. Either you have a bad copy then or we're talking about different things.

This guy has done a pretty good job

http://www.jeromeglick.net/audio/remaster-jmj-mps.html
It is precisely this link that decided me to do my own master.
Certainly it sounds different and it's good work, enlightened. But I found that it lacked dynamic and some background noise yet.
I used the same original recording quality as if there was one from somewhere else.

it can't be like the original
Post Posted Sat Mar 27, 2021 9:59 pm
Jote

Well, then the metallic effect that I mentioned is (as suspected) the result of your processing, likely stemming from a very short delay used by the stereoization process.

• 2020 Zoolook.nl