Welcome to the new BlahBlahCafe!

Having trouble registering? You can contact us at the "Contact us" link at the bottom of the page.

Equinoxe Infinity - 16 November 2018

Post Posted Sat Sep 29, 2018 5:46 pm
plate of chips

Likes received  : 21

Jarreshair wrote: Also it reminds me of the Terminator theme a little.
Terminator theme inspired from Nights In Shanghai JmJarre 1982 Concerts in China 7min+ version.
3min27 Cello Nights in Shanghai slowed down a little : its the Terminator motif.

Heavy metallic percussion Terminator theme similar 4min13 Nights in Shanghai heavy percussion.
Post Posted Sat Sep 29, 2018 7:22 pm
Phil

toman wrote:
Phil wrote:
Jarreshair wrote:Just listened to it, thanks to Toman.

Very nice., But not very Equinoxe I think.
As other have said a bit Vangelis. A bit Ind Rev Part 2.
Also it reminds me of the Terminator theme a little.
..and a lot Kebu. :idea: (-> "To Jupiter and Back")
Yes ! Too much ... :roll:
Too much ? For me the result is as good as 'The Watchers" (nice movie music, but with a little too many references to the past and others musicans). But here i think there is "a tribute".. And it was well earned (i saw that on his facebook page) : Kebu had an episode of heart arrhythmia in August, he seems to be recovering. ;-)
Post Posted Sat Sep 29, 2018 8:07 pm
GeeJee
The GUV'NOR

Likes received  : 1

Jote is a musician and so am I.

There is very little resemblance between the mentioned Kebu track and JMJ's "Flying Totems".

You just said you are not a musician, so don't pretend you are and claim to be able to tell that the chord progressions and melodies are similar. They are not.

JMJ using a brass sound w/ long attack on the vcf and vca does not make the music sound like Vangelis. A real brass instrument has a relatively long attack on both sound and volume contour.

Btw. Kebu did not have a heart attack but had an episode of heart arrhythmia. Also two very different things.

Case closed, I guess? :robertdugenou:
:mrgreen:
Post Posted Sat Sep 29, 2018 8:27 pm
Phil

I claim nothing more than to hear two melodies that (*for me*) are very similar. And I asked what other people thought. And many seem to be agree with me. What is the problem ? I do not know the technical terms to say that I think I hear the same "melodies" (especially in English), so I say it like that. Sorry.

What do you both claim? That there is nothing to hear? These similarities fell from the sky?

I think not... So, are we in disagreement ? :?
GeeJee wrote:Btw. Kebu did not have a heart attack but had an episode of heart arrhythmia. Also two very different things.
Yes I did not take the time to translate well. (I often had arrhythmia and have never been in this state.)
Post Posted Sat Sep 29, 2018 8:42 pm
GeeJee
The GUV'NOR

Phil wrote:I feel like I'm reading a 5-year-old kid, pretentious and arrogant.
This mentality quite proves that you do claim to know it better than a musician.

A similarity or resemblance is not a matter of opinion or disagreement, it's a factual, objective thing. There is very little resemblance (only at the start, but like Jote pointed out, arpeggiated bass w/ delay is very common in electronic music).

The main melody is not the same. It's not even similar. Play it along on a keyboard (or app) and you will notice. Just accept it if someone who knows what he talks about tells you you are wrong.

The problem is that you are stubborn :mrgreen: Don't take it personally, I don't know you, so it can't be personal.

Also, I have counted a huge amount of people who disagree with you. (three)
Post Posted Sat Sep 29, 2018 8:56 pm
Phil

I don't know who is musician on this forum. But no matter, the similarities (if you accept this term) are present and are not only at the beginning. Yes I am stubborn ;-), it is the reputation of the people of Brittany (in France).

You are 3, and I am not alone either. :P (And I think both sides agree that it has at least a "bit" of "To Jupiter and Back" in "Flying Totems".)

I often frequent scientific and technical blogs to not appreciate Jote's reflections. Technically you're right, but I did not put myself on the technical side and if you understood it like that, I'm sorry.
Post Posted Sat Sep 29, 2018 9:25 pm
GeeJee
The GUV'NOR

So what you are saying is that you are feeling an emotional connection between the two tracks.

That's totally allright, man. But it's subjective, right?

No need to call someone who thought you meant it objectively a "5-year old arrogant kid."

Now make amends and it will be the start of world peace, myes? :peacemaan:

(Offtopic: do you speak Brezhoneg? I love that language and want to learn it one day!)
Post Posted Sat Sep 29, 2018 9:40 pm
Phil

I don't know if you are 100% objective, but yes of course, you can consider what I wrote as 100% subjective. :fine:

(I can't imagine JMJ to be inspired without personalizing)
GeeJee wrote:(Offtopic: do you speak Brezhoneg? I love that language and want to learn it one day!)
Alas no, especially that in this part of Brittany it was rather the Gallo. :)
Post Posted Sat Sep 29, 2018 9:58 pm
Velodynamic

Likes given: 2
Likes received  : 7

I don't even know how you guys are able to listen to this "Flying Totem" track. Is it on iTunes or what? :? :P
"The worst thing in any form of art is to be betrayed by your own habits."
- JEAN MICHEL JARRE
Post Posted Sat Sep 29, 2018 10:10 pm
Oxynoxe

Velodynamic wrote:Is it on iTunes or what?
It's here: http://www.zoolook.nl/forum/viewtopic.p ... 444#203444 .
Post Posted Sat Sep 29, 2018 10:35 pm
Velodynamic

Ok so I downloaded from the link earlier in this thread onto my Sammy S9. :)

People refering to Vangelis are probably strucked by the sounds alone.
I've heard Kebu's TJAB probably hundred of times or so and I can probably (with the best of will) make out some similarity in the rythmics of Flying Totems but that's pretty much where it all ends.
I'm with GeeJee (and Jote) that on a composing level we are at a completely different boll park here.
And if this by some reason isn't made by JMJ himself I'll have to eat my old hat. :robertdugenou:
- JEAN MICHEL JARRE
Post Posted Sat Sep 29, 2018 11:43 pm
Velodynamic

kubrick wrote:Sounds like Kebu track and also like Pokémon.
Wtf is this "Pokémon" stuff you keep bringing up?
Can you show a link or something to support your suggestion?
I'm curious. :)
- JEAN MICHEL JARRE
Post Posted Sun Sep 30, 2018 8:21 am
Phil

Velodynamic wrote:People refering to Vangelis are probably strucked by the sounds alone.
I've heard Kebu's TJAB probably hundred of times or so and I can probably (with the best of will) make out some similarity in the rythmics of Flying Totems but that's pretty much where it all ends.
I'm with GeeJee (and Jote) that on a composing level we are at a completely different boll park here.
And if this by some reason isn't made by JMJ himself I'll have to eat my old hat. :robertdugenou:
I may surprise some but i'm with them too. What I'm trying to say since yesterday, is that for a non musician like me, a part of the "composition-variation" between 00:12 <-> 02:00 + 02:32 <-> 03:12 (if i exagerate !) seems to take its source in TJAB. (in TJAB there is only that for me)

So a musician can say it's simply "arpeggiated synth bass" (so TJAB is just "arpeggiated synth bass" , i'm ok with that), but some (like me) can see it differently, when this "arpeggiated synth bass" is in the track for minutes for me it's not nothing, it's a very important part, if you remove it (in TJAB and in Flying totems) what remains ? For me it would change everything.

I don't know if it's clearer said like that (sorry for my English). :|

Now, I stop there. :wink: :mrgreen:
Post Posted Sun Sep 30, 2018 11:37 am
Jarreshair

Let's face it Electronic music is everywhere now. In TV shows, in movies.
Is it any surprise that the untrained ear one piece of music sounds similar to another?

I sometimes think that Blake Neely, who does a lot of music for TV Shows often has Jarre-like sounds, but I'd be surprised if there weren't any TV/Movie composers who aren't a little influenced by at least Oxygene.
Post Posted Mon Oct 01, 2018 11:04 am
Analog-Umph

Likes given: 3

toman wrote:I found that link but I'm not sure that's really JMJ ... :?
https://www.pesnityt.net/download_song-306260.html
It occured to me when listening to all of his recent music that it really hasn't been "tape-ified" as his 70's music was.

It's too "live", i.e. as if it's coming from the synths live to my speakers. So the sound itself is too raw and uncompressed. It really needs a better mixing and mastering. Otherwise the ear fatigues quickly. Combine that with the fact that the melodies and harmonies are ultra forgettable and non-mature, it helps one completely forget that anything of worth is being done here.
Without faith nothing is possible. With it, nothing is impossible.

• 2020 Zoolook.nl