Welcome to the new BlahBlahCafe!

Having trouble registering? You can contact us at the "Contact us" link at the bottom of the page.

Metamorphoses - Test Pressing CD-Rs

Post Posted Thu Oct 08, 2020 6:18 pm
Adam

Likes given: 9
Likes received  : 6

I thought I would start a topic about these.
Whitfield Street test pressing CD-Rs exist of Hey Gagarin, Give me a sign & Isobel (Bells), also an album test pressing.
I have a rip of the Hey Gagarin test pressing and it is a different version, different drums and bass with a different intro, sounds a bit rough around the edges.
Does anyone have any of the others, if so what differences are there to the album versions ?
It is also rumoured that one exists with a studio version of The Sun, but one has never been seen.
They do seem to be highly soughtafter by JMJ fans, so if you see any for sale, post the links here.
Post Posted Thu Oct 08, 2020 6:41 pm
Dr_Jones

Online Now
Likes given: 194
Likes received  : 402

Yeah, those Whitfield Street testpressings are annoying. Hard to get and usually very limited. I have one with 6 C'est La Vie remixes, one of which is never released on CD (Hybrid's Matrix Dub). I'm not a big fan of those ego remixes at all, but for me as a completist it's nice to have. But there are quite some Metamorphoses test pressings, each with different track names and, as some descriptions go, slightly different mixes.

From what I've learned is that Isobel is apparently a different version of Miss Moon (https://www.discogs.com/Jean-Michel-Jar ... se/5091710). The Give Me A Sign pressing has a different vocalist which was rumoured to be the next single from Metamorphoses back in the days when Revolution UK was still active (https://www.discogs.com/Jean-Michel-Jar ... se/5091748). The name Crystal Kay was dropped but if she's the singer of this version is unknown.
Post Posted Thu Oct 08, 2020 6:49 pm
Dr_Jones

Online Now

Also, as far as I know, there's only one person who has these Isobel and Give Me A Sign test-pressings. And as both of these are pressed on a CD-R, you can only wait until these recordables are deteriorated... Like a ticking time bomb.
Post Posted Thu Oct 08, 2020 9:06 pm
Jote

Online Now
Likes given: 55
Likes received  : 68

Dr_Jones wrote: Thu Oct 08, 2020 6:41 pm
From what I've learned is that Isobel is apparently a different version of Miss Moon (https://www.discogs.com/Jean-Michel-Jar ... se/5091710).
I believe that description is bogus. "Isobel" is "Bells" - you can hear it in the lyrics: "Bell... Bell isobel". I'm just not sure whether this was ever officially confirmed.
Post Posted Thu Oct 08, 2020 9:22 pm
Dr_Jones

Online Now

Yes, I agree, that's more plausible.
Post Posted Thu Oct 08, 2020 10:28 pm
Adam

Jote wrote: Thu Oct 08, 2020 9:06 pm
Dr_Jones wrote: Thu Oct 08, 2020 6:41 pm
From what I've learned is that Isobel is apparently a different version of Miss Moon (https://www.discogs.com/Jean-Michel-Jar ... se/5091710).
I believe that description is bogus. "Isobel" is "Bells" - you can hear it in the lyrics: "Bell... Bell isobel". I'm just not sure whether this was ever officially confirmed.
There is a post about this in RDV JMJ fans on Facebook, one of the members has the CD & confirmed it is a different version of "Bells"
Post Posted Fri Oct 09, 2020 2:20 pm
Jote

Online Now

Adam wrote: Thu Oct 08, 2020 10:28 pm There is a post about this in RDV JMJ fans on Facebook, one of the members has the CD & confirmed it is a different version of "Bells"
Oh right, that guy that won't share it. *sigh*
Post Posted Fri Oct 09, 2020 2:32 pm
Finaero

Likes given: 186
Likes received  : 54

Now, to discover the test pressing of the cancelled 2003 PLD DVD (or the 1990s LD) next ;)
Post Posted Fri Oct 09, 2020 2:36 pm
Adam

Jote wrote: Fri Oct 09, 2020 2:20 pm
Adam wrote: Thu Oct 08, 2020 10:28 pm There is a post about this in RDV JMJ fans on Facebook, one of the members has the CD & confirmed it is a different version of "Bells"
Oh right, that guy that won't share it. *sigh*
Yup, he has Give me a sign, Isobel and Hey Gagarin & won't share.
I have a rip of Hey Gagarin anyway, but it is the other 2 I am most interested in.
Link to the post on FB
Post Posted Fri Oct 09, 2020 2:49 pm
Dr_Jones

Online Now

It's a closed group, I can't read it :-(

Not sharing these is pretty lame. These CDs are extremely limited and these tracks probably won't ever be released. What's the joy in having them then?

I do remember a studio version of The Sun was going around the internets a few years ago. That must have come from one of these CDs.
Post Posted Fri Oct 09, 2020 3:02 pm
Jote

Online Now

Dr_Jones wrote: Fri Oct 09, 2020 2:49 pm It's a closed group, I can't read it :-(
Nothing interesting. You-know-who showing off a photo of the CD-R and confirming that "Isobel" is a different version of "Bells".
Not sharing these is pretty lame. These CDs are extremely limited and these tracks probably won't ever be released. What's the joy in having them then?
I guess he wants to have a "Music for supermarkets" of his own.
I do remember a studio version of The Sun was going around the internets a few years ago. That must have come from one of these CDs.
Wait, then how come you don't have it?! :)
Post Posted Fri Oct 09, 2020 3:13 pm
Adam

If I had those CDs I would share them.
And how much will they be worth when they have deteriorated ?
If a studio version of The Sun was ever found it would make a lot of fans very happy.
Give me a sign is rumoured to be the Crystal Kay version, which supposedly was recorded for a single release but never saw the light of day.
The guy that sold one on Facebook said it has a different intro and different vocalist.
There is also a promo CD on that Facebook post, but nobody is sure if it is genuine or not.
https://www.discogs.com/Jean-Michel-Jar ... se/7193465
Post Posted Fri Oct 09, 2020 3:24 pm
Jote

Online Now

So would I. He's been approached him several times, a friend of mine offered him decent money for making a mere copy of the CD, no luck. He just says "it's not for sale" and ignores the requests for a copy.
Post Posted Fri Oct 09, 2020 4:21 pm
Dr_Jones

Online Now

Jote wrote: Fri Oct 09, 2020 3:02 pmWait, then how come you don't have it?! :)
Because Suns Have Gone.... :lol2:

I will do a search on my archive when I'm back home. Can't find it on my NAS here. If I have it....
Post Posted Fri Oct 09, 2020 4:21 pm
Adam

I have a flac copy of Hey Gagarin, if anyone wants it just send me a PM.
It's not a fantastic version but interesting to hear the original idea.

• 2020 Zoolook.nl