Welcome to the new BlahBlahCafe!

Currently, we are experiencing some DNS problems. We hope to fix this as soon as possible.

We have migrated to a new server. As with every migration, some things might have been lost in translation (at least, that's my experience in software development). The main problem is logging in into the boards. These could be caused by several reasons:

- Your browser cache & cookies need to be cleared because we moved to a new server. If you get the error message whilst logging: "The submitted form was invalid. Try submitting again.", you need to clear your cache & cookies. You can find a "Delete cookies" option at the bottom of this page.

- There is also a chance that your password is not correctly converted to the new system. This is a known bug with migrating the system. The only solution is to request a new password, there's a link on the form that will send an email to you to create a new password. If that fails, I can set a password for you, you can contact us at the "Contact us" link at the bottom of the page.

Amazonia

Post Posted Sat Apr 10, 2021 6:28 pm
Jote

Likes given: 18
Likes received  : 22

Synner wrote: Sat Apr 10, 2021 4:55 pm OK, sleeves are rolled firmly up - I'm trying to re-encode the 5.1 WAV to a 5.1 M4A file using Audacity - I'm assuming the tracks are in the order of the file name L_R_C_LFE_Ls_Lr - and when exporting them - I export straight across - using the default multi channel mapping - left - channel 1, right - channel 2, centre - channel 3, LFE - channel 4, RR - Channel 5 and RL - Channel 6?

Tried that, and it sounds odd - like the mix has been rotated counter clockwise by one speaker.

Or is 6 the LFE ?
AFAIK the correct channel order for a 5.1 m4a is C, FL, FR, RL, RR, LFE. (I'm fairly sure ffmpeg would arrange them automatically for you when converting from WAV)
Post Posted Sat Apr 10, 2021 11:08 pm
Chrono93

Likes given: 2

Jote wrote: Sat Apr 10, 2021 6:28 pm
Synner wrote: Sat Apr 10, 2021 4:55 pm OK, sleeves are rolled firmly up - I'm trying to re-encode the 5.1 WAV to a 5.1 M4A file using Audacity - I'm assuming the tracks are in the order of the file name L_R_C_LFE_Ls_Lr - and when exporting them - I export straight across - using the default multi channel mapping - left - channel 1, right - channel 2, centre - channel 3, LFE - channel 4, RR - Channel 5 and RL - Channel 6?

Tried that, and it sounds odd - like the mix has been rotated counter clockwise by one speaker.

Or is 6 the LFE ?
AFAIK the correct channel order for a 5.1 m4a is C, FL, FR, RL, RR, LFE. (I'm fairly sure ffmpeg would arrange them automatically for you when converting from WAV)
If I recalled correctly Audacity goes
channel 1 front left,
channel 2 front right,
channel 3 center,
channel 4 LFE,
channel 5 rear left and
channel 6 rear right.
Not sure if the file type makes any difference.

Also does anyone have the vinyl and if so they can confirm if there is a blank side and it's a smooth blank side with no etchings or anything like that? I would buy it just so I can use it to check the anti-skate on my turntable.
Post Posted Sat Apr 10, 2021 11:12 pm
nexxxus

Likes received  : 1

After careful listening stereo vs binaural mix, I prefer the latter. All sounds seem less "congested".
After all it is also a stereo mix and therefore it must be able to be listened to on speakers as with headphones while keeping all the details but with a different distribution. Binaural sound is unusual for our ears, yet it is natural, as we perceive all the sounds in our environment without headphones.
Also listening to the binaural version, part 2 at 7min 27sec I heard a slight saturation of the voices passing from right to left. By comparing with the stereo version this is where I realized that these voices (only on the right) were more contained, cramped, and without saturation on the other hand.
Definitely the binaural version is the benchmark for me.

As for the 5.1 mix, it's always the same thing... an inappropriate format that requires tweaking to enjoy it. It's a shame that this mix was not considered in dolby digital or DTS included in a video format.

This album is really good overall, immersive and made to be listened to at once.
I don't have any favorite songs because of this.
Post Posted Sun Apr 11, 2021 7:35 am
Kanta
English Moderator & Miss News

Likes given: 6
Likes received  : 9

Jean-Michel Jarre Releases Stunning Soundtrack for ‘Amazônia’ Exhibit

Source: https://edmidentity.com/2021/04/10/jean ... -amazonia/
Jarregirl YouTube
Concerts attended:
Théâtre Marigny, Paris - 2007
Symphony Hall, Birmingham - 2008
RAH, London - 2008
Wembley Arena, London - 2009
NIA, Birmingham - 2009
POP Bercy, Paris - 2010
NIA, Birmingham - 2010
O2 Arena, London - 2010
Zénith Aréna, Lille - 2010
Port Hercule, Monaco - 2011
TUI Arena, Hannover - 2011
Festival International de Carthage - 2013
Barclaycard Arena, Birmingham - 2016
Post Posted Sun Apr 11, 2021 11:36 am
Jote

Likes given: 18
Likes received  : 22

Chrono93 wrote: Sat Apr 10, 2021 11:08 pm Not sure if the file type makes any difference.
It does. WAV standard (FL, FR, C, LFE, RL, RR) is different than M4A (C, FL, FR, RL, RR, LFE)
Post Posted Sun Apr 11, 2021 12:37 pm
Spiral995

Jote wrote: Sun Apr 11, 2021 11:36 am
Chrono93 wrote: Sat Apr 10, 2021 11:08 pm Not sure if the file type makes any difference.
It does. WAV standard (FL, FR, C, LFE, RL, RR) is different than M4A (C, FL, FR, RL, RR, LFE)
Can`t you use Foobar to convert the file? I used it convert the multi-channel wav-file to a multi-channel FLAC file.
Post Posted Sun Apr 11, 2021 1:35 pm
Chrono93

Jote wrote
[/quote]

I have never used a surround M4A file so I couldn't speak about that but I forgot to add that you are correct about ffmpeg arranging the channels since no matter what surround files I load into Audacity I always seem to get the same order for each channel regardless of the file format.
Audacity does not comes with ffmpeg included, it has to be downloaded separately due to patents so it may be worth checking that.
https://manual.audacityteam.org/man/faq ... brary.html
That should sort the problem out but failing that I'm sure there are plenty of software that can do the conversion for free. Sorry I can't be any more help.

As for the album it kind of reminds me a little bit of the Volcanic Dance track from the Legends of the Lost City shows.
Post Posted Sun Apr 11, 2021 5:47 pm
Kanta

Jean-Michel Jarre: “Without music, confinement had been a desert”

Decades after the mythical album “Oxygène”, Jean-Michel Jarre continues to make music to breathe. Challenged by Brazilian photographer Sebastião Salgado, the French artist created the soundtrack for the exhibition “Amazônia”

Source: https://expresso.pt/cultura/2021-04-11- ... o-24ddcaf3
Jarregirl YouTube
Concerts attended:
RAH, London - 2008
NIA, Birmingham - 2009
POP Bercy, Paris - 2010
NIA, Birmingham - 2010
O2 Arena, London - 2010
Post Posted Sun Apr 11, 2021 6:08 pm
Antonuzzo

Spiral995 wrote: Sun Apr 11, 2021 12:37 pm
Jote wrote: Sun Apr 11, 2021 11:36 am
Can`t you use Foobar to convert the file? I used it convert the multi-channel wav-file to a multi-channel FLAC file.
The way I did it was to load the .wav into Final Cut along with a 1080p 16:9 image of the album cover, and export that as a .MOV file.

Then I used Handbrake to convert it into a .M4V.
Post Posted Mon Apr 12, 2021 7:39 am
Kanta

“Amazônia” by Jean-Michel Jarre: nature, electronics and binaural sound

Source: https://noesfm.com/amazonia-de-jean-mic ... aural/amp/
Jarregirl YouTube
Concerts attended:
RAH, London - 2008
NIA, Birmingham - 2009
POP Bercy, Paris - 2010
NIA, Birmingham - 2010
O2 Arena, London - 2010
Post Posted Mon Apr 12, 2021 4:46 pm
shadow

Likes received  : 11

Got my copy in... Is the spine everywhere printed the other way around, or is it because I imported it from Germany?
27-11-10: Ahoy Rotterdam
22-11-16: Heineken Music Hall Amsterdam
Post Posted Mon Apr 12, 2021 4:47 pm
Dr_Jones

Likes given: 28
Likes received  : 44

shadow wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 4:46 pm Got my copy in... Is the spine everywhere printed the other way around, or is it because I imported it from Germany?
JMJ has been doing this since Oxygene 3.
Post Posted Mon Apr 12, 2021 5:05 pm
shadow

Likes received  : 11

That would explain why I never noticed that before, I got the boxsets of Oxygene 3 and Equinoxe Infinity. So I never put those discs in the rack with the rest of the CD's and just kept them in there. That kind of blows they went with the German printing scheme, for whatever reason, they're the only country I personally know off that do it this way.

Edit: Also, those DR values on the CD and Binaural versions... It's not a pretty sight...
The 5.1 mix though, fairs rather good!

Edit 2: Holy shit, that Laura Palmer music in Part 7 :nod:
27-11-10: Ahoy Rotterdam
22-11-16: Heineken Music Hall Amsterdam
Post Posted Mon Apr 12, 2021 6:27 pm
Dr_Jones

Likes received  : 44

My OCD was triggered when I placed Oxygene, Oxygene 7-13 and Oxygene 3 next to eachother. Apparently, it's the French way for the spine, French books have it too. I had an interesting discussion with 1906 a few days ago about it.
Post Posted Mon Apr 12, 2021 8:13 pm
Richard-Eastham

Online Now

All JMJ photo books - CPLT, EIC, PLD - also have the spine writing right way up when the book is face down. It's a French thing.
--
01.09.93 Manchester / 07.06.97 Manchester / 30.03.08 London / 22.05.09 London / 10.10.10 London / 01.07.11 Monaco / 04.05.16 London / 23.07.16 Macclesfield / 06.10.16 Brighton / 07.10.16 London.

• 2020 Zoolook.nl