Welcome to the new BlahBlahCafe!

Having trouble registering? You can contact us at the "Contact us" link at the bottom of the page.

Amazonia

Post Posted Sun Mar 07, 2021 12:43 pm
Kanta
English Moderator & Miss News

Likes given: 79
Likes received  : 311

Jean-Michel Jarre creates symphonic soundtrack for immersive exhibition

‘I wanted to avoid the ethnomusicological approach, or creating background music. So I conceived a sort of toolbox containing musical elements – orchestral and electronic – intended to recreate or evoke the timbre of natural sounds, to which I added sounds from the environment and finally ethnic sources (voices, songs, and instruments) from the sound archives of the Ethnography Museum of Geneva (MEG). I approached the Amazon with respect, in a poetic and impressionistic way. I chose the vocal and sound elements in their evocative dimension, rather than trying to be faithful to a particular ethnic group. It seemed interesting to me to fantasize the forest. It carries with it a powerful imagination; for both Westerners and Amerindians. This music also evokes a form of nomadism, as if sounds appear and disappear during a migration. It was necessary to go back to the principles of orchestration of the sounds of nature, to work from sounds which follow one another randomly, but which can compose a harmony or a dissonance. As in any symphony, the work has moments of clarity or tension.’

Source: https://weraveyou.com/2021/03/jean-mich ... xhibition/
Jarregirl YouTube
Concerts attended:
Théâtre Marigny, Paris - 2007
Symphony Hall, Birmingham - 2008
RAH, London - 2008
Wembley Arena, London - 2009
NIA, Birmingham - 2009
POP Bercy, Paris - 2010
NIA, Birmingham - 2010
O2 Arena, London - 2010
Zénith Aréna, Lille - 2010
Port Hercule, Monaco - 2011
TUI Arena, Hannover - 2011
Festival International de Carthage - 2013
Barclaycard Arena, Birmingham - 2016
Post Posted Sun Mar 07, 2021 1:05 pm
Robi83

Likes given: 3
Likes received  : 14

shadow wrote: Fri Mar 05, 2021 10:45 pm Terrific, ordered the CD. Maybe some day I'll get the LP, but for now the CD will suffice. Especially considering the 5.1 mix comes with either.
Jote wrote: Thu Mar 04, 2021 10:07 pm LP 2 - Side 1:
01. Amazonia - Part 6 (3:33)
02. Amazonia - Part 7 (4:18)
03. Amazonia - Part 8 (3:19)
04. Amazonia - Part 9 (6:26)

LP 2 - Side 2: BLANK!
Well that's... Kind of illogical...
Blank? :o Never heard of such a blank side for a record!?
Post Posted Sun Mar 07, 2021 1:56 pm
Dr_Jones

Likes given: 194
Likes received  : 402

Robi83 wrote: Sun Mar 07, 2021 1:05 pm Blank? :o Never heard of such a blank side for a record!?
The What You Want 7" is one sided, Exit 7" too iirc.
Post Posted Sun Mar 07, 2021 4:46 pm
Chrono93

Likes received  : 3

Blank sides on vinyl are becoming more common these days. Justice WomanWorldWide vinyl is one I have in my collection with a etched picture blank side.
Blank sides are useful for people who want to check the anti-skate settings on their turntable if it has one. For this reason I am tempted to buy both CD and the vinyl releases if the vinyl truly has a blank side and not a etched image or anything.
As for the 5.1 download I will most likely back that up in multiple places and also burn a version of it onto a DVD like I did for the Planet Jarre 5.1 files but hopefully my setup will play the files this time without me having to convert them beforehand. The binaural version I will most likely keep on a personal music player if I like the sound of it.
Post Posted Sun Mar 07, 2021 9:49 pm
shadow

Likes received  : 35

Robi83 wrote: Sun Mar 07, 2021 1:05 pmBlank? :o Never heard of such a blank side for a record!?
I have, I own one or two with a blank side. But seems to me that spreading nearly 18 minutes across two sides makes more sense. The closer you get to the center, the worse it is. Yeah sure, it's not nearly close enough to the 25 minutemark, but still :P
27-11-10: Ahoy Rotterdam
22-11-16: Heineken Music Hall Amsterdam
Post Posted Sun Mar 07, 2021 9:54 pm
Dr_Jones

Chrono93 wrote: Sun Mar 07, 2021 4:46 pm As for the 5.1 download I will most likely back that up in multiple places and also burn a version of it onto a DVD like I did for the Planet Jarre 5.1 files but hopefully my setup will play the files this time without me having to convert them beforehand.
Yeah, I did that with Planet Jarre too, I made a DVD out of it. I played it yesterday, some tracks work pretty good.
Post Posted Sun Mar 07, 2021 10:43 pm
shadow

It's a shame we went to a soundbar here, such a huge downgrade :(
Post Posted Mon Mar 08, 2021 12:35 am
Jote

Likes given: 55
Likes received  : 68

Dr_Jones wrote: Sun Mar 07, 2021 9:54 pm Yeah, I did that with Planet Jarre too, I made a DVD out of it. I played it yesterday, some tracks work pretty good.
They are not "true" 5.1 though - they are stereo upmixes. I can produce their rear/center channels from an ordinary stereo mix and they will sound 99% the same as the 5.1 download (obviously algorithm differences, but the principle is the same). I wouldn't expect anything superior from Amazônia.
Post Posted Mon Mar 08, 2021 12:47 am
SF01

Likes received  : 2

Jote wrote: Mon Mar 08, 2021 12:35 am
Dr_Jones wrote: Sun Mar 07, 2021 9:54 pm Yeah, I did that with Planet Jarre too, I made a DVD out of it. I played it yesterday, some tracks work pretty good.
They are not "true" 5.1 though - they are stereo upmixes. I can produce their rear/center channels from an ordinary stereo mix and they will sound 99% the same as the 5.1 download (obviously algorithm differences, but the principle is the same). I wouldn't expect anything superior from Amazônia.
If there is a decicated Binaural mix and Aero had a dedicated 5.1 surround mix, then maybe, just mabybe Amazonia will also be a true 5.1 mix.
Post Posted Mon Mar 08, 2021 8:14 am
Robi83

Likes received  : 14

Wonder if there is any collaborators to the album.
Apart from David Perreau... :D
Post Posted Mon Mar 08, 2021 9:17 am
Jote

SF01 wrote: Mon Mar 08, 2021 12:47 am If there is a decicated Binaural mix and Aero had a dedicated 5.1 surround mix, then maybe, just mabybe Amazonia will also be a true 5.1 mix.
I wouldn't put much faith into this "dedication" of binaural mix. Odds are it's just a fancy post-process as well. Much easier and the public will not know either. Most people are convinced that PJ 5.1 is true 5.1 (even despite "scientifically" explaining to them that it isn't) so why bother?
Post Posted Mon Mar 08, 2021 10:47 am
Dr_Jones

Jote wrote: Mon Mar 08, 2021 9:17 am Most people are convinced that PJ 5.1 is true 5.1 (even despite "scientifically" explaining to them that it isn't) so why bother?
It does explain the amazingly odd Equinoxe 5 5.1 version.
Post Posted Mon Mar 08, 2021 11:01 am
shadow

Even if they're not true 5.1, they sound really good in the format they're in. It's no Aero or Oxygene LIYLR, but it's really nice non the less.
Post Posted Mon Mar 08, 2021 12:02 pm
SF01

Likes received  : 2

Jote wrote: Mon Mar 08, 2021 9:17 am
SF01 wrote: Mon Mar 08, 2021 12:47 am If there is a decicated Binaural mix and Aero had a dedicated 5.1 surround mix, then maybe, just mabybe Amazonia will also be a true 5.1 mix.
I wouldn't put much faith into this "dedication" of binaural mix. Odds are it's just a fancy post-process as well. Much easier and the public will not know either. Most people are convinced that PJ 5.1 is true 5.1 (even despite "scientifically" explaining to them that it isn't) so why bother?
What would that post processing be, isolating bands in EQ, diminishing attenuating them in one channel and amplifying in the other to increase stereo width?
It's easier to upscale stereo source to 5.1 or mono source to fake stereo, but to change how the tracks are panned in stereo mix to widen it to diffrent double mono, I can't imagine that, or I just might not have eough experience in mixing multitrack-recordings.
Post Posted Thu Mar 11, 2021 2:32 pm
Jote

SF01 wrote: Mon Mar 08, 2021 12:02 pm What would that post processing be, isolating bands in EQ, diminishing attenuating them in one channel and amplifying in the other to increase stereo width?
It's easier to upscale stereo source to 5.1 or mono source to fake stereo, but to change how the tracks are panned in stereo mix to widen it to diffrent double mono, I can't imagine that, or I just might not have eough experience in mixing multitrack-recordings.
Usually it's multi-band stereo widening and moving those bands around the stereo field (randomly or not). That's what those plugins do, and that's what I'd expect, as frankly, "going the extra mile" is not Jarre's forte. Granted he's very nice to fans in person, but he doesn't seem to think about them that much while in the studio, when they are just some unidentified mass far far away.

• 2020 Zoolook.nl