Welcome to the new BlahBlahCafe!

Having trouble registering? You can contact us at the "Contact us" link at the bottom of the page.

AOR Ballet

Post Posted Mon May 21, 2018 4:52 pm
Vozdelosvientos

Talking about Igor Wakhevich, I've just read an interesting interview where he talks about JMJ and their friendship in the GRM era...

http://www.psychedelicbabymag.com/2018/ ... w.html?m=1

Crazy guy and crazy interview... :shock:
Post Posted Mon May 21, 2018 7:23 pm
Dr_Jones

Likes given: 193
Likes received  : 402

Wow, what a brilliant anekdote!
After few months plunged in this strange ambiance, Jean-Michel and myself decided together to leave the G.R.M. at the same moment in order to imprint our mark on the minds. Making a last scandal, we slammed the door using for that our best oscillator-generator’s envelop without any filter and any delay. But a big big big reverberation at 100%. A monumental electronic fart that you can find in the INA and GRM archives. “Jarre-Wakhévitch” are the coauthors of a “plug-in” known as “Wakhévitch-Jarre’s scandalous behavior”. We earned a lot of money with our plug-in; we still share the royalties of our tonitruant departure from the G.R.M.
and... is he indicating that he and JMJ were lovers??
Post Posted Mon May 21, 2018 7:29 pm
Finaero

Likes given: 186
Likes received  : 54

Funny how amidst the long paragraphs of philosophy there's:
Is there any unreleased material?

I.W.: Yes.
;)
Post Posted Mon Jun 18, 2018 1:28 pm
Analog-Umph

Likes given: 3
Likes received  : 1

Vozdelosvientos wrote:Talking about Igor Wakhevich, I've just read an interesting interview where he talks about JMJ and their friendship in the GRM era...

http://www.psychedelicbabymag.com/2018/ ... w.html?m=1

Crazy guy and crazy interview... :shock:
Just read that long interview. I'm quite familiar with what he is saying, much of the "cosmic" or "out there" cosmology and spiritual philosophy he is espousing as "the ultimate truth" is actually of Satanic origin. (Even though he immediately makes sure to tell you in his answer that he doesn't worship Satan.) The exact same concepts and teachings about reality are taught in various schools of Satanism and occultism. The new age movement and Eastern religions also teach the same false concepts, because they all come from the same source. The usual result of study of these deceptive doctrines is that individuals begin to perceive themselves as highly enlightened/evolved in comparison to everyone else, they believe they are in tune with the so-called "real" truth which is hidden from everyone, but what they are really in tune with, is real evil - masquerading as good. In these vast false teachings, all kinds of concepts are thrown about, with snippets of vague truth intertwined with unverifiable information and outright lies/deceptions. As all Satanic knowledge: it is meant to shock you into awe and acceptance, so that you ask for more. It's all about converting/changing you gradually. Making you believe it's a path of self-development, beneficial in every way, yet it's precisely the opposite of that: the path to self-destruction.

Anyhow, that explains the guy's weird nature and outlook. It's quite sad seeing what human beings do to themselves, going down these paths. This guy's just one amongst millions.
Without faith nothing is possible. With it, nothing is impossible.
Post Posted Mon Jun 18, 2018 3:20 pm
Finaero

Speaking of AOR, I remember when Jarre.net had some excerpts of it available for download. And I still remember this one (at 3:56) the best due to thinking "You know, that really sounds like one of the Ethnicolor samples".

(Well, it still does... and probably is?)

But now, roughly 15 years later, it got me thinking of how crisp and clean those Jarre.net AOR recordings sound. In fact, the AOR track performed at Bourges in 2002 also sounded quite slick (now, if I remembered anything about the synths he used in that performance, maybe it was just "easy" to be recreated or some such).

So... what do you people think, did JMJ re-create (all) AOR tracks for the Jarre.net downloads or did he use the original recordings?
Post Posted Mon Jun 18, 2018 8:26 pm
Dr_Jones

Those were the original recordings. They got those snippets from JMJ.
Post Posted Sat Oct 10, 2020 4:23 pm
Dr_Jones

Bumping an old topic: French newspaper Le Monde has an archive now. Archives are cool. Their review of the AOR ballet is there too:
https://www.lemonde.fr/archives/article ... 19218.html
47% of the article is readable, the rest is for subscribers :-(
Here [the Paris Opera] is enriched with a creation called "Aor", entrusted to Norbert Schmucki, a child of the house (he left it barely a year ago to go to Zurich to support Michel Descombey). This boy with the fine mustache, with long hair, who made a lot of talk about him at the last festival in Avignon, offers us here, on the immense stage of the Opera, a sumptuous, completed work of a richness, of an unsuspected rigor, an outburst. How will the subscribers, the "old" ones, react to the stridencies, to the "spatialized" dullness by Igor Wakhévitch and Jean-Michel Jarre (Maurice's son)? One may ask. The "modern", the young, will surely see the opportunity to venture out, often for the first time, to the henhouse of our venerable academy.
There the article stops though :-(
Post Posted Sun Oct 11, 2020 12:04 am
shadow

Likes received  : 35

Still waiting for the day more gets released rather than just the short pieces and AOR Blue.
Doubt it's anything great, but it's been such an interesting piece of obscure stuff I want to hear.
27-11-10: Ahoy Rotterdam
22-11-16: Heineken Music Hall Amsterdam
Post Posted Tue Oct 26, 2021 12:52 pm
Dr_Jones

Found a 50 year old(!) newspaper, Le Monde, from 23 october 1971. 50 years old...

I mentioned it a few posts before, this is the full article:
19711023.Le Monde.p27.jpg
Post Posted Sun Oct 31, 2021 6:56 pm
shadow

Unfortunately my French isn't great, but I'm really curious if (and when) we do get to hear these tracks. We got one and those snippets, I'd love to hear the full thing some day.
Post Posted Mon Nov 01, 2021 12:29 am
Dr_Jones

I was hoping for a 50th anniversary announcement or something, but alas.
Post Posted Mon Nov 01, 2021 3:09 pm
Finaero

shadow wrote: Sun Oct 31, 2021 6:56 pm Unfortunately my French isn't great, but I'm really curious if (and when) we do get to hear these tracks. We got one and those snippets, I'd love to hear the full thing some day.
I wonder how much reworking had gone into those Jarre.net snippets from 2003, I remember one of them having a very Ethnicolor-like scream in it
Post Posted Tue Nov 02, 2021 6:25 pm
Jote

Likes given: 55
Likes received  : 68

Yup, but for all we know this Ethnicolor scream could have been done for AOR and then reused on Zoolook.
Post Posted Wed Nov 03, 2021 10:49 am
Richard-Eastham

Likes given: 160
Likes received  : 43

Jote wrote: Tue Nov 02, 2021 6:25 pm Yup, but for all we know this Ethnicolor scream could have been done for AOR and then reused on Zoolook.
I often wonder how many elements of Equinoxe were developed or prepared during or before Oxygene, or even earlier, but then were put to one side for another time. Sequences, melodies and rhythms that perhaps did not fit with the Oxygene concept but were worth holding onto.
--
01.09.93 Manchester / 07.06.97 Manchester / 30.03.08 London / 22.05.09 London / 10.10.10 London / 01.07.11 Monaco / 04.05.16 London / 23.07.16 Macclesfield / 06.10.16 Brighton / 07.10.16 London.
Post Posted Wed Nov 03, 2021 4:56 pm
shadow

We know that Part 5 was composed before Oxygene, there was an older version floating about but I can't find it anywhere. Was quite the interesting listen!
(If anyone still has this, I'd love to hear it again)
Finaero wrote: Mon Nov 01, 2021 3:09 pmI wonder how much reworking had gone into those Jarre.net snippets from 2003, I remember one of them having a very Ethnicolor-like scream in it
This sound was on AOR Final (the fifth snippet) iirc, and it's entirely possible it was recorded/created for AOR and reused for Zoolook. Same as the sample on Erosmachine which was later reused in Chronologie Part 2. Jarre has lifted sounds, samples and motives for verbatim in later pieces more than once, so who knows.

• 2020 Zoolook.nl