Welcome to the new BlahBlahCafe!

Having trouble registering? You can contact us at the "Contact us" link at the bottom of the page.

AOR Ballet

Post Posted Thu Nov 18, 2010 6:34 pm
shadow

Likes received  : 35

I couldn't find a thread this concert, but I was wondering what was this concert exactly, I can't really find much information about it, and I can't find any recordings atall with exception of Metallic Souvenir.
And that was from the " Live Printemps de Bourges 2002" Itunes exclusive, so it's still not really the AOR ballet...

Couldn't someone fill me in :)
27-11-10: Ahoy Rotterdam
22-11-16: Heineken Music Hall Amsterdam
Post Posted Thu Nov 18, 2010 7:14 pm
Phil J.

shadow wrote:I couldn't find a thread this concert, but I was wondering what was this concert exactly, I can't really find much information about it, and I can't find any recordings atall with exception of Metallic Souvenir.
And that was from the " Live Printemps de Bourges 2002" Itunes exclusive, so it's still not really the AOR ballet...

Couldn't someone fill me in :)
From Wapedia-
October 21, 1971
Opéra De Paris, Palais Garnier, Paris, France
Audience: 2,000
The first electro-acoustic opera called "AOR". Jarre became the youngest producer to see one of its works played at the Paris Opera, at its reopening in 1971. It was the first time that electronic music had been allowed to be used, and Jarre even had to paint his speakers gold to match the decor of the opera house. There he performed with the Paris Opera Ballet and choreographer Norbert Schmucki. Jarre composed the music for two additional ballets: Le Labyrinthe (1972) and Dorian (1975), but it is currently unknown if he performed there as well
Post Posted Fri Nov 19, 2010 2:39 pm

Likes given: 1
Likes received  : 9

It's not mentioned that AOR was done together with Igor Wakhévitch, another guy working at the GRM in the early 70s. Wakhévitch produced a couple of strange avant-garde albums on the EMI Pathé label. One of these albums, Logos, was recorded together with French band Triangle (for which Jarre contributed later aswell). The percussion on Logos really sounds like the percussion on La Cage.

Post Posted Fri Nov 19, 2010 8:20 pm
Pat1982

5 fragments have been posted on Jarre's old site in december 2000:
http://rapidshare.com/files/431877060/1969_Aor.zip

see http://www.questbbs.fsnet.co.uk/december2000.htm
DECEMBER 10TH: Jean Michel Jarre has, for the first time, exclusively released extracts from his highly-acclaimed Ballet Score 'AOR' on his NEW Official Web-Site (http://www.jarre.net/).

Previously unreleased, 'AOR' (meaning Light) was written for the inaugaration of Chagall's New Painting of the Ceiling of the Opera Garnier in Paris in 1971.

Extracts from the Five Movements, named after the Colours that make up Light, 'MAUVE', 'BLEU', 'JAUNE', 'ROUGE' and 'THE FINAL', are available in MP3 Format, but only for a limited time. Further plans to release 'AOR' in it's entirety, are already under consideration.
AOR Bleu = Metallic Souvenir on Bourges 2002.
Post Posted Fri Nov 19, 2010 9:12 pm
shadow

Thank you very very much for the download, I own you one!
After listening to it, it sure is one hell of a very weird piece of music and it somewhat reminds me of the first piece Jarre played on the Aero concert with the roughness compared to other works, but I digg it though :peacemaan:

Also am I really hearing the same weird scream as at the beginning of "Ethicolor 1" in "AOR Final"?
Post Posted Sat Nov 20, 2010 3:36 am
GeeJee
The GUV'NOR

Likes received  : 1

shadow wrote:I own you one!
Are you sure? :punch:
Also am I really hearing the same weird scream as at the beginning of "Ethicolor 1" in "AOR
Yess. That, my friend, is an orgasm. Elephant. Errr. Something. :fine:
:mrgreen:
Post Posted Sat Nov 20, 2010 9:50 pm
LaDefense

There are two more excerpts of Aor: one from the Rarities 3 bootleg and one from the biography section of the old Jarre.net website. I have uploaded them in a zip file...
Aor Excerpts
LaDefense -
"Vorsprung durch Technik"
Post Posted Sun Nov 21, 2010 4:42 pm
Pat1982

shadow wrote:it somewhat reminds me of the first piece Jarre played on the Aero concert
The track "Aero" (before RV4) = "Bourges 2", so that explains the similarity. But it is not AOR.

Also an mechanic sound of AOR was used in Industrial Revolution part 1, at around 1:50.

Didn't Dr. Jones have a full copy of AOR (which he could not release because he received it from an insider at INA)?
Post Posted Sun Nov 21, 2010 4:55 pm
Dr_Jones

Likes given: 193
Likes received  : 402

Pat1982 wrote:Didn't Dr. Jones have a full copy of AOR (which he could not release because he received it from an insider at INA)?
I wish.
Post Posted Sun Nov 21, 2010 5:56 pm
Pat1982

Dr_Jones wrote:
Pat1982 wrote:Didn't Dr. Jones have a full copy of AOR (which he could not release because he received it from an insider at INA)?
I wish.
Sorry I'm was confused with Dorian ;)

Although you once found an interesting snippet on France 2:
We all know the guy on the left! :mrgreen:

Here's a site with some additional info:
http://oxygenejmj.free.fr/magazine/aor.html
Google translated to English
Post Posted Sun Nov 21, 2010 6:10 pm
Dr_Jones

I once read a report of a guy who was at the ballet. He said it was surreal, lots of industrial sounds. He liked it. I really need to find it again, it was somewhere on the internet.
Post Posted Sun Nov 21, 2010 6:13 pm
Dr_Jones

And he was a dancer at the ballet:
http://www.sipario.it/cyrilatanassoff.htm
Post Posted Sun Nov 21, 2010 6:17 pm
Pat1982

Dr_Jones wrote:I once read a report of a guy who was at the ballet. He said it was surreal, lots of industrial sounds. He liked it. I really need to find it again, it was somewhere on the internet.
That link is dead :(
http://le-club.mabulle.com/index.php/20 ... rseverance

However, I found it with the Web Archive:
Tonight, I return to show business, for an image that dates back to 1974 I believe. I had the opportunity to see this year is a ballet called "contemporary" special order at very young artists. The ballet was built on the theme of the dance of seven veils in seven tables, therefore, with sets of lights, costumes, very simple music and "avant-garde." I am unable to describe the work, although I keep the impression of something pleasant. It is still not so old, and since then has seen other, so to speak, but for the time it was modern, very modern!
3 / 4 of an hour of dancing in a polite silence and anticipation, the curtain closes, then reopens for the greetings. And the chaos begins!
Not worthy of the celebrated rite of spring, but a beautiful ruckus nonetheless. Ballet salutes, stoic, and then turn it is the trio responsible, namely the choreographer, designer and musician. They appear on the front of the stage in a wave of shouts, cheers and boos mingled in a single wave, until the final closing curtain for the next piece. The choreographer is known to the world of dance, and become ballet master. The decorator was Wackevitch G., son of an equally famous designer, on the very young composer, looks unhappy, embarrassed, and not knowing what to do in the storm, his name, his name is always Jean-Michel Jarre.
Like what, we must persevere!
Love to all. Let us share your memories!
Post Posted Sun Nov 21, 2010 6:31 pm
shadow

GeeJee wrote:
shadow wrote:I own you one!
Are you sure? :punch:
Wow nice typo I made there :P

And I find it pretty interessting, also in the 4FM special there was some talk about it actually getting released some day, but havn't heard of something like that with exception of the special :o
Post Posted Tue Jan 04, 2011 5:42 pm
melo

Likes received  : 1

Will we see AOR in video on future ?

This is information from Jarre french forum :

L'Ina va numériser et sauvegarder le fonds audiovisuel de l'Opéra national de Paris.
L'Institut national de l'audiovisuel va prochainement accueillir un nouveau type de contenu. Un accord a été signé avec l'Opéra national de Paris pour la sauvegarde par la numérisation de son fonds audiovisuel et sonore constitué depuis 1971.
Ce fonds représente " plus de 10 000 supports, soit plus de 7 000 heures d'images et plus de 6 000 heures de sons ", indique un communiqué. L'Ina sera aussi chargé " du stockage de toutes les captations réalisées par les équipes internes de l'Opéra de Paris : répétitions générales et représentations d'opéras, de ballets et de concerts. "
Lorsque l'on touche au domaine de l'opéra, le public est déjà plutôt très ciblé et il le sera d'autant plus dans la mesure où le fonds numérisé sera mis à disposition d'un public de chercheurs via l'Inathèque.

font: Thanks "La Cage" from Fairligh Jarre (Spain) forum
Ricardo Melo
Jarrefan-Brazil
www.jarrefan.com.br

Attented concert:
Port Hercule, Monaco - 2011

• 2020 Zoolook.nl