Welcome to the new BlahBlahCafe!

Having trouble registering? You can contact us at the "Contact us" link at the bottom of the page.

Paris La Defence 1990-remastered/improved free download

Post Posted Thu Mar 16, 2017 3:55 pm
Flip Martian

Likes given: 5
Likes received  : 8

Thanks both.

Docklands...well I do have an FM copy from NRJ Radio (from France I assume) although I've not had chance to go through that yet. But the plan is to give that a go sometime this year.

I need to make it sound much better than it was on the night. The night I saw the Docklands gig, the PA where I was was rubbish and it all sounded like it was from a transistor radio :wink: So it will sound much better than that I hope :lol:
Post Posted Thu Mar 16, 2017 9:56 pm
Pat Gleeson

Likes given: 301
Likes received  : 16

It sounds pretty much like the BBC Radio 1 broadcast - that is quite good, but marred by a persistent and wide echo ...
Concerts attended:
Destination Docklands 1988
Paris la Defense 1990
Europe in Concert - Wembley Stadium 1993
Oxygene Tour - Wembley Arena 1997
Theatre Marigny Paris 2007
Oxygene Tour - NCH Dublin 2008
2010 Tour - The 02 Dublin The 02 London (10-10-10)
Electronica Tour - 3Arena Dublin 2016
Post Posted Thu Mar 16, 2017 10:06 pm
Finaero

Likes given: 186
Likes received  : 54

I've sort of gotten used to the echo over the years, but it's still a shame that it's there.

The audience recording by SPACEDOUT (that, to my knowledge, was first released in 2003) was pretty nice, even though it also didn't have that good sound quality... and you can actually hear audible booing at some parts (at least during Industrial Revolution: Overture). :P
Post Posted Fri Mar 17, 2017 10:06 am
Flip Martian

BOOING?!! Really? I remember I was still outside queuing to get in when the overture was playing - missed the first 40 minutes!

Not much I can do to remove a persistent echo but if I can improve everything else that might make it more listenable anyway (at least that would be the idea).
Post Posted Fri Mar 17, 2017 6:33 pm
Finaero

Well, it sort of sounds like booing turning into/getting overrun with cheers, but eh. Haven't listened to that one in years, thus I remembered it being more harsh.

On the subject of PLD, there was a user 'round Jarre forums who had his own audience recording of PLD but hadn't been able to convert it into a digital format due to a variety of reasons (distance being one of them, IIRC, as he was living in Europe but the recording was still in the U.S), but I haven't seen him around in years. Granted, this was in 2006 or so..
Post Posted Sat Mar 18, 2017 10:46 pm
Synner

Likes given: 3

It wasn't boo-ing - at that point, the first firework was launched, as it rose higher and higher, the crowd oo-ed and ah-ed louder and louder. Mine was one of those voices!

If you listen, you can hear the bang as it goes off.

And yes, there is a fair bit of echo on the BBC broadcast - there was echo on the night too, but I think the BBC broadcast it in mono - some instrumentation is missing - most noticeably in Ethnicolor, where the final synth solo is completely missing.

Still, it did add a fair bit of power to the laser harp sound.
Post Posted Sat Mar 18, 2017 11:09 pm
Finaero

Major thanks for the clarification, Synner! That one had been bugging me for almost 14 years. :wink:

On the subject of PLD, I found a PLD radio broadcast recording interspersed with some footage from an audience recording that eliminates the radio announcer chatter from the beginning of EQ5 before segueing back to the radio broadcast version. I took the audience recording part from that mp3, and combined it with some PLD "FLAC" radio broadcast I got from who knows where. It sounds... almost smooth: https://www.dropbox.com/s/j2ia10gdw4ftn ... T.mp3?dl=0

Similarly, you can eliminate the radio ident from the beginning of MF2 (after the cool unique-to-PLD intro) by looping parts of the beginning (which of course makes the audience noises loop as well, but that could be remedied by some clever mixing). Something like this: https://www.dropbox.com/s/zwn1vayfo97ac ... T.mp3?dl=0

(On that topic, I'm still sort of hearing the radio ident during MF2 saying "Nihon" at one point and pronouncing "Europe 2" in a more Japanese manner, as if hinting the existence of a Japanese PLD radio broadcast out there somewhere... but probably not!)

Quite honestly, now I agree with you about the audience noise looping, because once you know it's there, you can't un-hear it. Even if it's something that you can only really hear with headphones on. ;)

And also quite honestly, it really is a shame that the chances of ever getting a full high quality re-release of PLD are at zero (especially if even those reclusive Jarre Whitfield Street acetate owners don't have the full concert like that ... wink), since for me it really was the highest point in JMJ's career, and also the best concert there has ever been on this Earth. ;)
Post Posted Fri Jun 09, 2017 10:59 pm
Flip Martian

To be honest, yes of course there are ways of getting a recording without the radio idents - but I tread a fine line. My overall concern is best quality - sometimes I can erase bad errors in the recording (distortion or a bad click) by deleting that part and replacing with an identical section from elsewhere - and you would never hear it. But with audience noise looping...no, its not for me. The idents are quite small and, for me, they're part of a recording now 27 years old. So I left them.

Its only my opinion of course. Other people can alter these recordings how they prefer, as well :)
Post Posted Tue Jul 14, 2020 1:42 pm
Finaero

Crikey, 30 years since (IMO) the best concert that ever took place on this planet.

... and still no FLAC/studio quality full concert non-radio broadcast recording of the ... full concert. :(

But still, good stuff - so thanks once again for this remastered version! 8)
Post Posted Tue Jul 14, 2020 2:04 pm
rinogurr

Likes received  : 46

Finaero wrote:Crikey, 30 years since (IMO) the best concert that ever took place on this planet.

... and still no FLAC/studio quality full concert non-radio broadcast recording of the ... full concert. :(

Post Posted Tue Jul 14, 2020 3:58 pm
Finaero

rinogurr wrote:
Finaero wrote:Crikey, 30 years since (IMO) the best concert that ever took place on this planet.

Ooh, nice one!

The beginning of Equinoxe 5 (the part where the radio announcers would be talking over the track in the radio broadcast) sounds familiar - I think someone from JarreUK had an audience recording of PLD which featured that particular recording.

I remember someone asking for the full audience recording (and not just the very beginning of Equinoxe 5) but I don't think that one was ever released. It might be on YouTube these days, however, haven't checked in a while.
Post Posted Tue Jul 14, 2020 7:30 pm
shadow

Likes received  : 35

rinogurr wrote:

Where the hell did this come from all of a sudden?!
27-11-10: Ahoy Rotterdam
22-11-16: Heineken Music Hall Amsterdam
Post Posted Wed Jul 15, 2020 5:26 pm
Jote

Likes given: 55
Likes received  : 68

shadow wrote:
rinogurr wrote:

Where the hell did this come from all of a sudden?!
Seems to be an edit of the VHS and radio versions: listen to 5:40-5:50 and 6:15-6:25 - you can hear VHS-radio (5:40-5:50) and radio-VHS transition (6:15-6:25), there's a noticeable difference in quality.

MF2 is also edited - the part at around 26:55 is out of place.

Equinoxe 5 and RV4 are obviously from the radio broadcast.

Not a bad attempt.
Post Posted Mon Dec 20, 2021 9:31 pm
Flip Martian

Well, it's been a while...but for those who were asking for a Docklands restoration - there will finally be one on liveandloudshows.com before the end of this week. Not either of the (frankly weird sounding) FM recordings but a clean up of an audience recording. So not FM quality but it's now sounding a very listenable record of the whole concert. Anyway, I'll post a link up when it's ready.
Post Posted Wed Jan 05, 2022 4:23 pm
Domestos

Likes given: 2
Likes received  : 5

Probably a few decades too late in noticing this but 1) I love the solo at the end of RV 4 and 2) It's the same as the sax solo on the Houston/Lyon version! (which is also only on the album/VHS releases and none of the audience recordings, meaning it was done in the studio)

Wonder who wrote it? I assume Dominique Perrier is the person playing it

• 2020 Zoolook.nl