Welcome to the new BlahBlahCafe!

Having trouble registering? You can contact us at the "Contact us" link at the bottom of the page.

Paris La Defence 1990-remastered/improved free download

Post Posted Sat Jan 14, 2017 9:39 am
Flip Martian

Likes given: 5
Likes received  : 8

My latest Jean Michel Jarre remaster is now up; this time its the La Defence, Paris concert from 1990. A remastered stereo FM recording of the full show, now sounding a lot lot better than before. And of course - a free download. No registration or anything - just download for free. I hope you enjoy!

http://liveandloudshows.blogspot.co.uk/ ... fense.html
Post Posted Sat Jan 14, 2017 10:25 am
jarrepaul

Thanks Phil
Europe in Concert Manchester 1993
Oxygène Tour Manchester 1997
World Tour 2010 Manchester
Post Posted Sat Jan 14, 2017 12:43 pm
Flip Martian

No probs, enjoy.
Post Posted Sat Jan 14, 2017 1:25 pm
Jote

Likes given: 55
Likes received  : 68

Thanks! Every new version of PLD is more than welcome!
Post Posted Sat Jan 14, 2017 4:39 pm
Velodynamic

Likes given: 2
Likes received  : 7

Wow. I didn't realised how limited the recordings from that concert actually are.
It sounds like it has been recorded with a slightly unstable cassette player. :P
Still it's well worth the effort, thank you Flip. Great job. :)
"The worst thing in any form of art is to be betrayed by your own habits."
- JEAN MICHEL JARRE
Post Posted Sat Jan 14, 2017 7:31 pm
Jote

Velodynamic wrote:Wow. I didn't realised how limited the recordings from that concert actually are.
It sounds like it has been recorded with a slightly unstable cassette player. :P
One of the recordings that I have (not this particular one I think) was clearly recorded or played using a tape that kept slowing down (while the pitch of Oxygene IV/Equinoxe IV is more or less ok, for Quatrieme Rendez-Vous - hardly)
Post Posted Sat Jan 14, 2017 7:35 pm
Flip Martian

Velodynamic wrote:Wow. I didn't realised how limited the recordings from that concert actually are.
You should have heard the original... :lol: Yep, I guess a cassette and a noisy FM broadcast (I guess the aerial wasn''t very good). But at least it exists and is more listenable now. Thanks for listening - over 600 page hits for this one already in less than 24 hours. Jarre is popular. :)
Post Posted Sat Jan 14, 2017 7:42 pm
Jote

Flip Martian wrote:You should have heard the original...
Can you post a short A-B comparison?
Post Posted Sun Jan 15, 2017 10:42 am
Flip Martian

Jote wrote:
Flip Martian wrote:You should have heard the original...
Can you post a short A-B comparison?
Yes, happy to. I'll sort it out and post a link up later today.
Post Posted Sun Jan 15, 2017 10:44 am
Flip Martian

Jote wrote:
One of the recordings that I have (not this particular one I think) was clearly recorded or played using a tape that kept slowing down (while the pitch of Oxygene IV/Equinoxe IV is more or less ok, for Quatrieme Rendez-Vous - hardly)
Yes, its quite common! Some of the shows on my archive (not Jarre shows though) have had pitch correction either on some tracks or the whole recording, as well as other corrections and improvements. Tape stretches with age and number of plays. I guess if not stored correctly, they get worse quickly.
Post Posted Sun Jan 15, 2017 1:30 pm
Flip Martian

Ok, I've prepared Equinoxe IV as a demonstration of what the original source sounded like and what I've done. This doesn't include any defects as this track was ok - really its just a demonstration of the 30 band EQ I applied.

The track starts without, then EQ kicks in after about 12 secs. Then off for a while, on for a while, all through the track. Hopefully you can hear the difference (although you will hear MORE of a difference on good speakers/headphones. If you're listening on laptop speakers or something you won't hear the full difference).

Compared to many of the shows I've done, this was actually a pretty straight forward one.

The track is here:
http://www.mediafire.com/file/4kt4qf35u ... ervals.mp3
Post Posted Sun Feb 12, 2017 3:22 pm
Jote

I finally listened to the whole thing today and there's one little problem with it - the pitch/speed are slightly too high throughout the entire file. Haven't measured it yet, but definitely verified it against other recordings and a nearby synthesizer :)
Post Posted Thu Feb 23, 2017 1:56 pm
Flip Martian

Jote wrote:I finally listened to the whole thing today and there's one little problem with it - the pitch/speed are slightly too high throughout the entire file. Haven't measured it yet, but definitely verified it against other recordings and a nearby synthesizer :)
Really? After nearly 500 downloads no-one's mentioned that. Strange, I've just had an audiophile link it up to the televised broadcast (minus the unbroadcast bits) and he would have crucified me if there were errors in it.

Ah well, if you can hear it I guess you have the wherewithal to pitch it down to your taste if you wish. Do that and you get a remaster perfect to your taste for free. :)
Post Posted Fri Mar 10, 2017 5:36 pm
Finaero

Likes given: 186
Likes received  : 54

Very nice remaster (I do prefer your 12DOTS ones, though ;))!

I guess it's a shame that there will never be a proper lossless version of this concert. I have this one edition which features quite high quality audience recording snippets from the beginning of Equinoxe 5 and Rendez-Vous 4, but they clash quite heavily with the rest of the tracks being from the radio broadcast (well, EQ5 actually sounds quite alright).

I guess that if someone took the effort, one could make replica covers of those parts where the radio announcer blabbering interrupted the tracks in question, in order to finally make a 100% smooth Full PLD recording (320kbps at max). But eh.

Maybe it's time to raid Mike Mansfield's basement. ;)
Post Posted Wed Mar 15, 2017 10:26 pm
Synner

Likes given: 3

That is brilliant - thanks a lot.

I wonder what you could do with, say, the Docklands broadcast.

I'd love to hear - really hear - that show again, like it sounded on the night. The BBC broadcast was a bit ropey.

• 2020 Zoolook.nl