Welcome to the new BlahBlahCafe!

Having trouble registering? You can contact us at the "Contact us" link at the bottom of the page.

Guy delacroix and others

Post Posted Wed Jan 27, 2021 10:01 am
Dialzak

Likes received  : 2

Hi all,
Couldn’t decide if this is the best place to post this one..
I’ve always wondered what happened to Guy Delacroix.. he heavily influenced me as a bass player and I’ve always loved his style.. I get that Jarre’s live work has changed somewhat but I thought it was a different bassist on the Hong Kong cd and wondered how that came about... Besides that I’ve always wondered what happened with all the musicians from the big concerts.. he’s always had great drummers and all the keys players.. like the guy from docklands with the painful looking ponytail! Only reason I ask is for a long time it looked like most of these people were his main crew but in the last few concerts like Electronica etc it was a new group.
Thanks
Pete
Post Posted Wed Jan 27, 2021 11:52 am
Dr_Jones

Likes given: 193
Likes received  : 402

He is a great bass player indeed. I think he's a studio-musician mainly, so he'll pay on anything he's hired for. Checking Discogs, the last album he's played on was in 2019 so he's still doing things.
Post Posted Wed Jan 27, 2021 5:52 pm
Dialzak

Glad to hear it,
Maybe I’m just getting sentimental in my old age and missing the days of the big shows and the albums that got me into Jarre!
Post Posted Thu Jan 28, 2021 1:50 pm
Richard-Eastham

Likes given: 160
Likes received  : 43

I love the "old gang". The line up that takes a bow at the end of Destination Docklands is amazing. Guy Delacroix amongst them. Dominique in a purple turban, Sylvain in a tux and with wild hair, Christine wrapped in silver foil, Jo in a black hoodie, Jean-Michel in a ridiculous hat. So totally out of step with late 1980s pop culture, so totally doing their own thing. Absolutely loved it :grouphug:
--
01.09.93 Manchester / 07.06.97 Manchester / 30.03.08 London / 22.05.09 London / 10.10.10 London / 01.07.11 Monaco / 04.05.16 London / 23.07.16 Macclesfield / 06.10.16 Brighton / 07.10.16 London.
Post Posted Thu Jan 28, 2021 3:36 pm
Finaero

Likes given: 186
Likes received  : 54

I'll always remember Guy Delacroix as "the Banana Man" from PLD ;)

(And Sylvain as "Santa" from Docklands, for that matter)
Post Posted Thu Jan 28, 2021 6:35 pm
Dialzak

Good to be able to put the names to the faces.. right about the ‘old gang’ they were doing their thing and doing it right.. I always remember thinking I was unsure of the new drummer when I first saw him at La Defense... like I could drum any better! But I do miss how JMJ managed to integrate a live bass and drums into his band.. but then he did also have a choir and a steel band in there too! Ahhhhh the good old days....ha.... banana man!
Post Posted Tue Jul 13, 2021 12:52 pm
Domestos

Likes given: 2
Likes received  : 5

Dialzak wrote: Wed Jan 27, 2021 10:01 am Hi all,
Couldn’t decide if this is the best place to post this one..
I’ve always wondered what happened to Guy Delacroix.. he heavily influenced me as a bass player and I’ve always loved his style.. I get that Jarre’s live work has changed somewhat but I thought it was a different bassist on the Hong Kong cd and wondered how that came about... Besides that I’ve always wondered what happened with all the musicians from the big concerts.. he’s always had great drummers and all the keys players.. like the guy from docklands with the painful looking ponytail! Only reason I ask is for a long time it looked like most of these people were his main crew but in the last few concerts like Electronica etc it was a new group.
Thanks
Pete
Guy as a big influence on me too, to the point where I got a Musicman Stingray bass because of him! Great player, showcased the best way in the CPLT concert I think with the fretless solo on Souvenir for China and the double-bass work during Industrial Rev.

As an aside, this is my favourite concert because it does feel the most 'real' to me - you've got bass, acoustic drums, percussion and guitar all being played live which does sell things rather a lot. I think this is really missing from the post-Moscow JMJ. Claude Samard pretending to hit drums just isn't the same :(

If people were wondering what happened to Joe Hammer, I came across him on LinkedIn:

https://www.linkedin.com/in/joe-hammer-6879413/

Didn't realize that he went on to work at Fairlight for so long. And it' also kinda amusing to see his work with JMJ basically relegated to a footnote on his CV.

• 2020 Zoolook.nl