Welcome to the new BlahBlahCafe!

We have migrated to a new server. As with every migration, some things might have been lost in translation (at least, that's my experience in software development). The main problem is logging in into the boards. These could be caused by several reasons:

- Your browser cache & cookies need to be cleared because we moved to a new server. If you get the error message whilst logging: "The submitted form was invalid. Try submitting again.", you need to clear your cache & cookies. You can find a "Delete cookies" option at the bottom of this page.

- There is also a chance that your password is not correctly converted to the new system. This is a known bug with migrating the system. The only solution is to request a new password, there's a link on the form that will send an email to you to create a new password. If that fails, I can set a password for you, you can contact us at the "Contact us" link at the bottom of the page.

Smallstone Phaser modifications

Post Posted Sun Jul 26, 2009 11:45 pm
matt222

Likes given: 2
Likes received  : 1

I have noticed that Michel Geiss modified smallstones for Jarre . From photos, I see the addition of 2 extra knobs/dials.

Does anybody know what these extra controls did?
Post Posted Mon Jul 27, 2009 10:24 am
GeeJee
The GUV'NOR

Radek modded his Smallstone as well, but I don't remember what he did exactly..

I do know that Geiss lowered the voltage on which the Smallstone ran.. took it down to 8 volts or sth, for an even slower lfo sweep.. (something you can easily achieve by buying a multi-voltage adaptor and setting the voltage lower than 9 volts..)- very effective for Equinoxe 2 :wink2:
Have a look at my organ music videos (No Jarre yet): www.youtube.com/user/gjmusique
Benedicat vos omni potens Deus. Pater et Filius et Spiritus Sanctus. Amen. BONNE NUIT. :oldman:
Post Posted Mon Jul 27, 2009 12:55 pm
Beelooo

GeeJee wrote:Radek modded his Smallstone as well, but I don't remember what he did exactly..

I do know that Geiss lowered the voltage on which the Smallstone ran.. took it down to 8 volts or sth, for an even slower lfo sweep.. (something you can easily achieve by buying a multi-voltage adaptor and setting the voltage lower than 9 volts..)- very effective for Equinoxe 2 :wink2:
Yes i read that somewere by the past. "Simulating a battery at the end of life" , something like that in french.

Other article ;

http://www.jarrography.free.fr/details_equipement_audio.php?id_equip=127

"Pédale d'effet Phase Shifter dont le grain est unique. Elle a la particularité de créer l'effet de phasing sans réinjecter le son original dans la sortie.

JMJ préfère ce modèle, Michel Geiss l'avait modifié à l'époque en ajoutant deux potentiomètres pour notament faire varier la tension.
"

"Phase Shifter Pedal with unique grain. It has the particularity of creating the phasing effect without the original signal in output.

JMJ prefer this model, Michel Geiss had changed at the time by adding two knobs to set the voltage
"
Concerts attends :
EIC Versailles, September 1993
Oxygen Tour Paris, October 1997
Electronic Night Paris, July 1998
Marigny, December 2007
POPB, March 2010
Electronica TOUR POPB (Accor Hotel Arena), December 2016
Post Posted Mon Jul 27, 2009 5:31 pm
Analog-Umph

Likes given: 3

Beelooo wrote:"Simulating a battery at the end of life"
How poetic! :P
Without faith nothing is possible. With it, nothing is impossible.
Post Posted Mon Jul 27, 2009 9:46 pm
radek tymecki

is there any photo of JMJ's phaser?
Post Posted Mon Jul 27, 2009 10:44 pm
matt222

Likes given: 2

Yes, in the Claviers 1990 magazine special 'Jarre 'edition that has an enourmous amount about Jarre's studio and equipment and modifications.

Can't post a link - I don't know how.
I only wish there was an English translation as my French is shameful.
Post Posted Mon Jul 27, 2009 10:56 pm
GeeJee
The GUV'NOR

matt222 wrote:
I don't know how.
If you have the scanned article, it's the same as an mp3 file. I'll take it from there and make it work as a pic :wink2:
Have a look at my organ music videos (No Jarre yet): www.youtube.com/user/gjmusique
Benedicat vos omni potens Deus. Pater et Filius et Spiritus Sanctus. Amen. BONNE NUIT. :oldman:
Post Posted Tue Jul 28, 2009 9:16 am
olivier_0001

matt222 wrote:Yes, in the Claviers 1990 magazine special 'Jarre 'edition that has an enourmous amount about Jarre's studio and equipment and modifications.

Matt,

if you use this forum to show a multimedia (picture, mp3,..) you must first located this multimedia on a internet server. you must to have a personnal site location like your site.
Upload in a folder like http://www.mattsynth.co.uk/share/jarre_studio.jpg and just remenber this link to place here on the forum.
Please send me your article (or link) by email, and I can treanslate for you and look the details mod's :D :D
Post Posted Tue Jul 28, 2009 7:08 pm
olivier_0001

matt222 wrote:Yes, in the Claviers 1990 magazine special 'Jarre 'edition that has an enourmous amount about Jarre's studio and equipment and modifications.

Matt, don't stress :D

I have found the famous article (thanks to Dr_Jones)

here the picture from the Small stone moded for Jarre.
description in french say there a serial potentiometer to simulate a used battery.
In fact, to simulate a used battery only 1 potentiometer is needed or external variable power supply. But on the picture we can see a second potentiometer?...
Post Posted Wed Jul 29, 2009 11:17 am
jarrekid

Could be something like extra feedback. Just wire in that second potentiometer and maybe a resistor to dampen it across the input and the output and you've got yourself a crude feedback control.
Post Posted Wed Jul 29, 2009 9:30 pm
radek tymecki

this is pretty easy modification.

If You want to i can make phaser modification tutorial that will give You

a) 7 switches and 1 knob
b)5 switches and 3 knobs

choice is Yours :D
Post Posted Wed Jul 29, 2009 9:53 pm
GeeJee
The GUV'NOR

radek tymecki wrote:this is pretty easy modification.

If You want to i can make phaser modification tutorial that will give You

a) 7 switches and 1 knob
b)5 switches and 3 knobs

choice is Yours :D
and what do those knobs do? :fine:
Post Posted Wed Jul 29, 2009 10:27 pm
radek tymecki

1 knob gives You resonance control - it worked that way in mine :)

other 2 are same like in jmj's phaser
Post Posted Wed Jul 29, 2009 11:55 pm
olivier_0001

radek tymecki wrote:1 knob gives You resonance control - it worked that way in mine :)

other 2 are same like in jmj's phaser
I'm interesting...

I remember your shematic with color wire and swith, cap,...

Mod are only for equinoxe 2 or other eminent sounds ?

2020 Zoolook.nl