Welcome to the new BlahBlahCafe!

Having trouble registering? You can contact us at the "Contact us" link at the bottom of the page.

Jarre's WAITING FOR COUSTEAU album, which synths were used?

Post Posted Wed Feb 23, 2011 5:55 pm
Memory Cords

Jarre usually lists which synths were used on his album sleeves.

But on WAITING FOR COUSTEAU there is no list.

Does anybody have any reliable information (e.g. magazine articles, interviews with Jarre etc) about what synths were used on this album?

Thanks.
Post Posted Wed Feb 23, 2011 6:48 pm
GeeJee
The GUV'NOR

Likes received  : 1

A lot of Synthex, D50, Korg m1, t3 and Fairlight CMI IIx.

source
:mrgreen:
Post Posted Mon May 16, 2011 9:19 pm
Memory Cords

GeeJee wrote:A lot of Synthex, D50, Korg m1, t3 and Fairlight CMI IIx.

source
Sorry for the late reply, thanks for that information! I wonder why Jarre didn't list the instruments in the album credits like he usually does?
Post Posted Mon May 16, 2011 10:19 pm
GeeJee
The GUV'NOR

Memory Cords wrote:

source
Sorry for the late reply, thanks for that information! I wonder why Jarre didn't list the instruments in the album credits like he usually does?
That's not always upto JMJ - perhaps someone else decided.
Post Posted Tue May 17, 2011 9:51 pm
cygnusx-1

source
I always thought he also used the Kurzweil K2000 on WFC? I recall it was one of his favorite synths during the period WFC/Images/Chronologie. Nevertheless, imho WFC sounds outstanding great.
Post Posted Tue May 17, 2011 9:54 pm
qube

easily the best production quality of all his albums.

shame Chronologie was so compressed by comparison
Post Posted Wed May 18, 2011 2:50 am
JPQ

qube wrote:easily the best production quality of all his albums.

Funny thing i think opposite Waiting for cousteau is not best. But i think thing is at least little sometihng about taste. No my ears best albums are Equinoxe and Oxygene and then Oxygene 7-13....
Post Posted Wed May 18, 2011 12:23 pm
GeeJee
The GUV'NOR

cygnusx-1 wrote:

source
I always thought he also used the Kurzweil K2000 on WFC? I recall it was one of his favorite synths during the period WFC/Images/Chronologie. Nevertheless, imho WFC sounds outstanding great.
K2000 was released in 1991, WFC in 1990.. also, I haven't spot any typical Kurzweil sounds. On the Hong Kong and Chronologie albums you can spot them easily.
Post Posted Wed May 18, 2011 6:11 pm
thhedk

I must agree, I think it sounds SO good. Many Jarre-fans don't like Calypso 1, I love it.
Cool Bass, both normal bass and the sequenced
Super cool drums, especially in the remix.

Calypso II have some nice bass and drum sounds/hits
Calyso III , well not my favorit, but still ok sweet melody
Waiting for C. - I never understood this. Ok to do a 45 min song, but he could have played some more in it!

I have never liked Chronologie - all too noisy and digital with all that church organ sounds :roll:

But hey, taste can't be discussed :)
Post Posted Wed May 18, 2011 7:03 pm
cygnusx-1

GeeJee wrote:
cygnusx-1 wrote:

source
K2000 was released in 1991, WFC in 1990.. also, I haven't spot any typical Kurzweil sounds. On the Hong Kong and Chronologie albums you can spot them easily.
Thanks for the info.
Post Posted Wed May 18, 2011 9:50 pm
qube

JPQ wrote:

Funny thing i think opposite Waiting for cousteau is not best. But i think thing is at least little sometihng about taste. No my ears best albums are Equinoxe and Oxygene and then Oxygene 7-13....
I wasn't talking about the quality of the music just the production. The earlier albums are more interesting musically but sound thin.

7-13 and Chron' are very compressed and distorted don't sound nice at all which is a shame as I like the music.
Post Posted Wed May 18, 2011 11:14 pm
JPQ

qube wrote:
JPQ wrote:

I wasn't talking about the quality of the music just the production. The earlier albums are more interesting musically but sound thin.

7-13 and Chron' are very compressed and distorted don't sound nice at all which is a shame as I like the music.

To my ears. old albums sounds warm. and Oxygene 7-13 is sitll own way hardlisten like Chrologie maybe is this compression i dont konw. Becouse many over compressed pop albums are have sound something what i dont like actually hate. And i dont talk poor melodies,shitty synths,and awfull vocals.
Post Posted Sun Jun 07, 2015 9:14 pm
Polarity

I bring back this old topic because I'm interested in replicating one sound of Calypso part 2.

That kind of click/snap/snack that you can hear in repetition at about 2.20 - 2.28 - 2.35 - 2.44
an so on

if these
> AKAI S1000
> FAIRLIGHT CMI-II
> ARP 2600
> ELKA Synthex
> KORG T3
> ROLAND D-50
> ROLAND SH-101
are the instruments he used on the album, what could have used for doing it?

In 1989-90 I remember to have heard almost the same sound coming from the Waldorf Microwave 1: I was in a music instruments store, but it wasn't me playing the synth in that moment... but that sound just impressed in my memory.
Never had a Microwave in my hands again, so I don't know how it was done (could be a wavetable trick beside analog filter manipulation?)

Please, any suggestion on what kind of synth is best to try and on what parameters work most for obtaining the same power of the snap?
Thank you in advance.
Post Posted Mon Jun 08, 2015 11:00 am
Analog-Umph

Likes given: 3

Polarity wrote:Please, any suggestion on what kind of synth is best to try and on what parameters work most for obtaining the same power of the snap?
We must all work together towards obtaining the power of the snap, for that is the path to becoming masters of the universe! :peacemaan:
Without faith nothing is possible. With it, nothing is impossible.
Post Posted Tue Jun 09, 2015 10:19 pm
Pete

If I understand correctly, the sound you are looking at could be coming from the Dynacord ADD-One. It has analog resonant filters and it is regarded as one of the best drum samplers of all time. You can spot it in JMJ studio in several pictures of that period.

In the early 90s I remember Roland S-550/S-330/W-30 library had some similar sounds programmed by heavily filtering a snare or tom sample.

You could try to sample the snare drum from the first bars of London Kid (Dynacord ADD-one - if I am not wrong) envelope out some of the gated reverb and apply a low pass filter experimenting with resonance and see if you get close. Try also to move the starting point of the sample to get the right transient.

P.

• 2020 Zoolook.nl