Welcome to the new BlahBlahCafe!

Having trouble registering? You can contact us at the "Contact us" link at the bottom of the page.

Oxygene 7-13 synths

Post Posted Thu Dec 03, 2020 10:41 am
Blatman

Likes given: 46
Likes received  : 25

Hello',

I am re-creating the full album Oxygene 7-13, so I am looking for many sounds and samples ! What I am sure and what I am not... :

Oxygene 7 :

- The laser harp sound may come from the ARP 2600 as I was able to mimic this sound almost perfectly.
- Choir sound come from the Raven. I am interested in multisamples for any Raven sounds as I don't have this synth :(
- Drums sounds from the Quasimidi Raven (especially hihats). Thank you Wax Mango for the contribution.

Oxygene 8 :

- Almost sure that the melody has been made on the Moog System 55, I was able to reproduce the sound on the Arturia Moog Modular.
- Mellotron sound come from the JV-90 (a preset).
- Don't know about the second "saw detuned" melody any idea ?
- FX sound from the VCS3, "easy" to mimic with the Arturia Synthi.
- Eminent with phaser but which one ? I am not 100% sure Jarre did use the Smallstone for this one.
- Little arpegios ? No idea.
- Resonnance FX during break (2mn50), absolutely no idea !
- No idea about the bass but the sound can be reproduce with Arturia synths.
- Bass from the Korg Prophecy (no extracts for now). Thank you Wax Mango for the contribution.

Oxygene 9 :

- One of the first pad we can hear come from the Quasimidi Raven. I found another nice preset on the JV-90. I found the preset on the Roland Cloud SRX Keyboards named "Ghost Blow". Thank you Wax Mango for the contribution.
- Eminent.

Oxygene 10 :

- Drums come from the MPC-3000. Snare is very obivous.
- The FX sound come from the Quasimid Raven. The exact same FX also exists on the Quasimid Technox.
- Don't know about many other sounds, arpegios ? melody ? :(

Oxygene 11 :

- First arpegios sound come from the Nord Lead. If someone has the preset for the Discovery Pro vst it could be nice to share !
- Sample and hold sound come from the Korg Prophecy. Thank you Wax Mango for the contribution.

Oxygene 12 :

- First melody we can hear come from the JV-90, the preset is also available on the JV-1080 (Roland Cloud)
- The FX sounds seems to come from the Quasimidi Raven, and it is play very fast.
- The two melodies come from the Yamaha CS-80.
- Mellotron of course (easy to do with the Arturia Mellotron).
- The rubber FX at the end can be done with the Arturia Synthi. I think that Jarre used the VCS3.
- Don't know about the bass and the arpegios ?
- Same thing for the "distorted" bass sound we can hear at the end of the song, any ideas ?

Oxygene 13 :

- Korg i4S of course for the drums. If someone has a wav of separate drum sounds I am interested !
- Hihats are phased.
- Eminent of course for the lead.
- No idea about FX sounds maybe VCS3.

If you are interested I can share some presets for Arturia Synths. It could be great to all share what we have for this album what do you think ?
Last edited by Blatman on Tue Dec 08, 2020 4:09 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Post Posted Thu Dec 03, 2020 6:43 pm
Finaero

Likes given: 186
Likes received  : 54

Excellent list so far! IIRC, the Oxygene 7 laser harp sound was originally the Eminent as well

(Also random tidbit: The Roland Cloud JV-1080 VST also has the preset "inertia" which played in D(6) should sound familiar to fans of Together Now ;))
Post Posted Fri Dec 04, 2020 11:12 am
Blatman

Finaero wrote: Thu Dec 03, 2020 6:43 pm Excellent list so far! IIRC, the Oxygene 7 laser harp sound was originally the Eminent as well

(Also random tidbit: The Roland Cloud JV-1080 VST also has the preset "inertia" which played in D(6) should sound familiar to fans of Together Now ;))
Nice preset !!!! First sound of Together Now :) It is the same period thant Oxygene 7-13, not a surprise that many sounds of the Okinawa concert are available on this synth !

You can find in attachement my ARP2600 Oxygene 7 laser harp sound. Enjoy.
Attachments
ARP 2600_Preset_Oxygene 7 Lead 1_20201207_11h21.zip
(2.34 KiB) Downloaded 382 times
Last edited by Blatman on Mon Dec 07, 2020 11:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
Post Posted Fri Dec 04, 2020 12:27 pm
Richard-Eastham

Likes given: 160
Likes received  : 44

Doesn't the Laser Harp sound come from the Elka Synthex? At least, it did on the Rendezvous album, but maybe since then. he's found other ways of producing this same sound?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Elka_Synthex
--
01.09.93 Manchester / 07.06.97 Manchester / 30.03.08 London / 22.05.09 London / 10.10.10 London / 01.07.11 Monaco / 04.05.16 London / 23.07.16 Macclesfield / 06.10.16 Brighton / 07.10.16 London.
Post Posted Fri Dec 04, 2020 1:13 pm
Blatman

Richard-Eastham wrote: Fri Dec 04, 2020 12:27 pm Doesn't the Laser Harp sound come from the Elka Synthex? At least, it did on the Rendezvous album, but maybe since then. he's found other ways of producing this same sound?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Elka_Synthex
The laser harp sound for Oxygene 7 is different than the laser harp on Rendez-vous album. The Synthex has not been used on this album 😉.
Post Posted Sat Dec 05, 2020 12:01 am
Richard-Eastham

Likes given: 160
Likes received  : 44

That would be a good JMJ super fan quiz... name the laser harp! Isolate one note, then ask: 1) Which track? 2) How was the sound produced? :shock:
--
01.09.93 Manchester / 07.06.97 Manchester / 30.03.08 London / 22.05.09 London / 10.10.10 London / 01.07.11 Monaco / 04.05.16 London / 23.07.16 Macclesfield / 06.10.16 Brighton / 07.10.16 London.
Post Posted Mon Dec 07, 2020 10:46 am
Blatman

Hello !

Here is an audio sample of my laser harp sound for Oxygene 7 :)

The choir come from the Roland SRX Keyboards, and the background bass arpegios from the Arturia Prophet 5. Of course the lead sound is from the ARP 2600 (the preset can be downloaded in this thread).
Attachments
Oxygene_7_lead_test2.zip
(795.15 KiB) Downloaded 318 times
Post Posted Mon Dec 07, 2020 5:48 pm
Wax Mango

Likes received  : 10

Hi all,

The choir sounds from O7 are a preset pattern and I posted them here:
http://www.jarrography.free.fr/details_ ... d_equip=74
many years ago - you can sample it directly from the site if you wish.

The Mellotron sounds are from the Roland Vintage Synth/JV expansion. Francis Rimbert used the exact same sounds in his solo music.

The bass, I think, is the Raven, as is the whole perc/drum track. It doesn't do much and the way in which the track moves, the Raven does entire track transposition with ease - single key presses. And the fact that the choir is a preset pattern where the transposition is achieved with key presses, then the rest of the track is likely to be done the same way - no other track on the 7-13 album modulates like O7 does.

the noise effects are again, most likely to be VCS3, but because it's just white noise and various LFO effects (and Small Stones), they're easy to reproduce and I did most of them on a JP8000. The higher pitched effects in part 2 of O7, again, probably VSC3 but easy enough to do on the JP8000.

The 'Cheese Organ' in part 3 of O7 can recreated using a 'Cheese Organ' style preset or just whacking a radio EQ over a normal organ. I had a Yamaha DJX with a Cheese organ preset and it matched the album pretty well!

During Part 3 of O7 there's a swell up FX sound, that's another Raven preset - I think it's called 'Sci-Fi Door Whoosh' or something like that.

In O8, the bass is from the Korg Prophecy. Can't remember the patch name but I've heard it - it's definitely the Prophecy.

I have several interviews and articles around the time of the recording of the album and the System 55 is never pictured or mentioned. Although it made a showing on the tour, I'm going to stick my neck out and say that it's not the System 55 - a simple monophonic lead like this is either going to be a Minimoog (pictured in studio interviews) or the ARP2600. And, if you listen to the lead line closely, it's a modified version of the Oxygene 4 lead, which was the ARP2600 (all square waves on the oscillators apparently - according to Jarre and Geiss).

The pad sound that intro's O9 is not the one you think. The patch is called 'Breath Pad' from the Quasimidi Ravel (again). I'll get some samples sorted for you.

Also, the Mellotron sounds are from the Roland JV Vintage Synth/expansion - the range goes too high for a real mellotron and the sound character is the same as O7 - and the samples online and in YouTube videos confirm this is the case.

The FX sounds in O10 - not sure this is the Raven (I have one with the Max Expansion) and I've never heard this. I'll check!

The bass/arp in O11 is as you say, the Nord Lead (1). The squelchy sample and hold effect in the background is the Korg Prophecy again. Can't remember the preset name but you can hear it in some Prophecy videos on YouTube.

For O12, the bassline sounds like the Arp2600, as the tone is very similar to the Equinox basslines for which the ARP was used. As for the effects, again, not sure these are the Raven as I've worked my way through the Raven sounds many times and never heard these. The variation on the modulation would suggest to me that they are manually modulated indicating the well known LFO modulation on the VSC3.

The 'rubbery' sound at the end is likely the VSC3 although I recreated it perfectly on the JP8000 which was certainly used on the tour and discussed in album PR interviews.

I remember an interview where JMJ stated that the main arpeggio that runs through the whole song was from a MIDI triggered ARP2600.

O13 noise effects almost certainly the VSC3 through a Small Stone, albeit modded to make it run slower. But yes, the rest of the track the iS4 and Eminent.
Post Posted Tue Dec 08, 2020 9:35 am
Blatman

Here is the Oxygene 11 preset demo named "Fluctuations" :

I think the Moog Modular is a good candidate for the Oxygene 8 lead. We can hear Jarre tuning it on the Oxygene Tour before playing Oxygene 8 track. I've attached my preset and a .mp3 extract.

Same thing for Oxygene 10, I have attached the drum loop I've created with the Quasimidi Technox FX (same one is available on the Raven).

For the Oxygene 7choir and all Raven samples, could it be possible for you to "multi sample" (several notes for a "long" duration) the sounds in .wav format ? The one available on Jarrography is more a demo than a sample :). I am very interested in Oxygene 10 sounds too (arpegios etc....).

Are you sure about Ghost Blow for Oxygene 9 ? it is very similar.... maybe it is layerd with a sound from the Raven ? I have attached a mp3 extract.
Attachments
Oxygene_9_GhostBlow.zip
(336.12 KiB) Downloaded 323 times
drums_Master.zip
(715.37 KiB) Downloaded 307 times
Last edited by Blatman on Tue Dec 08, 2020 2:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Post Posted Tue Dec 08, 2020 12:00 pm
Wax Mango

I'll check out the O10 drums and FX. As for O9, I can say with certainty its the Raven...It's not layered.

I'll do some samples of the choir and Breath Pad.
Post Posted Tue Dec 08, 2020 2:16 pm
Blatman

New version of the Oxygene 8 lead :)
Attachments
JARRE_OXYGENE_8.zip
(938.93 KiB) Downloaded 306 times
Post Posted Thu Dec 10, 2020 2:33 pm
Wax Mango

Here is the O9 pad from the Raven.
Attachments
O9 Pad.mp3.zip
Raven O9 Pad
(869.95 KiB) Downloaded 315 times
Post Posted Thu Dec 10, 2020 4:24 pm
Blatman

Nice ! Very good one :)
Post Posted Fri Dec 11, 2020 9:31 pm
Wax Mango

Ok, so I have multisample of the O7 choir, the O9 vox pad and the O7 'log-out' patch. I've been through every pattern in the Raven and the loop/FX from the Technox is not in it. There are similar sounds but that exact one is not in the Raven.

My multisample are too big to post as attachments, so if you DM your email address, I'll send them by WeTransfer.
Post Posted Sat Dec 12, 2020 10:24 am
Blatman

Hello, here is the Oxygene 10 FX sound. No idea about the BPM but I think you don't need it.
Attachments
Fx10.zip
(59.58 KiB) Downloaded 300 times

• 2020 Zoolook.nl