Welcome to the new BlahBlahCafe!

Having trouble registering? You can contact us at the "Contact us" link at the bottom of the page.

Little Boots

Post Posted Sun Jun 07, 2009 8:25 pm
tinmachine

she plays retro synths - well a piano, moog and 3 korgs
(and she's quite pretty too, guys! lol)
and is being tipped for some future no 1's (not that means anything nowadays!)

Her album "Hands" has just come out on iTunes, for those who like electro/synth/dance pop with a bit of class :-)
Post Posted Sun Jun 07, 2009 8:40 pm
GeeJee
The GUV'NOR

Likes received  : 1

I just listened to 'Meddle' -nice one, minimalistic, but good. i like the less-is-more approach, and it definately shows you don't need a lot of gear to sound fun.

anything else of her you can recommend?
:mrgreen:
Post Posted Sun Jun 07, 2009 8:48 pm
tinmachine

I've only just downloaded the whole album, and I'm jumping around with the tracks at the moment. Remedy and Mathematics so far are pretty good :-)
Bit Girls Aloud in places (but better), can imagine it appealing to those who like Pet Shop Boys. Best new artist I've heard for a year or more!

I'll let you know more when I've listened to it.

Incidentally, I heard her interviewed on the radio a week or so ago and she came across as intelligent, musically very knowledgeable and she likes her synths!

edit: Free download mix at www.littlebootsmusic.co.uk
Post Posted Mon Jun 08, 2009 9:10 am
Jon

:peacemaan: (I like this one)

Jarre concerts attended - Destination Docklands 1988 - Paris La Defense 1990 - Europe In Concert 1993 (Manchester & London) - Oxygene Tour 1997 (Birmingham)

"A group of men and woman entered the laboratory one month ago to live in a smell free world. Body odour, sweaty arms pits and smelly feet are to create the energy to survive. A total mystery surrounds this experiment, and it's project code name: B.O and Smell'i "
Post Posted Mon Jun 08, 2009 10:34 am
jarrekid

Personally, I can't stand her. Her and La Roux and all the other identical "synth-pop" acts aren't good enough to belong to that genre!
Post Posted Mon Jun 08, 2009 2:05 pm
tinmachine

Hearts Collide and Love Kills (especially when it turns into a Chrono 4 type instrumental near the end!) are the two best in my opinion. I think it to be about the best album I've heard for years!

I'm at work so I may write more about it later :-)
Post Posted Mon Jun 08, 2009 2:37 pm
Jon

'Love Kills' is an old Freddie Mercurey song.
Jarre concerts attended - Destination Docklands 1988 - Paris La Defense 1990 - Europe In Concert 1993 (Manchester & London) - Oxygene Tour 1997 (Birmingham)

"A group of men and woman entered the laboratory one month ago to live in a smell free world. Body odour, sweaty arms pits and smelly feet are to create the energy to survive. A total mystery surrounds this experiment, and it's project code name: B.O and Smell'i "
Post Posted Mon Jun 08, 2009 5:14 pm
AnDrOiD

Too poppy and Eurovision-song-contest like for my taste. :pwned:
SOUNDCLOUD
Rhythmus muss sein!

"20 years ago we had computers in the studios. Now we have studios in the computers" - Michel Moers.
Post Posted Mon Jun 08, 2009 5:42 pm
tinmachine

Jon wrote:'Love Kills' is an old Freddie Mercurey song.
of course it is :-) and in respect of the above, it's not on the main album (it's a single b-side) unless you download it off of iTunes.

Yes, some of it is Eurovisionny, and also a bit Girls Aloud, but I love the modern 80's synth influence on it. I still think it's one of the best (and incredibly enjoyable) pop albums I've heard for a long while.

I also understand (I hope I'm right here...) that she didn't get through the X-Factor auditions, and has now turned to her attention on trying to make it without all that and creating very synth heavy music...? In which case, I really hope she does well as a two-finger salute to Simon Cowell!!!! In the music press (for what it's worth), she is being given a lot of acclaim and praise at the moment :-)
Post Posted Tue Jun 09, 2009 9:16 am
Jon

Just listended to 'Love Kills' and agree it's a very good cover.

Edit: Listended to a few of her tracks. Reminds me a little of the 90s group 'Dubstar'.

Post Posted Tue Jun 09, 2009 2:31 pm
Equinoxe

I'm Not raving about the Music although I like the simplicity of her style,and its certainly her own style,she's certainly a talented individual,and even more so she can play her devices,the Jools Holland Live appearance is very good,Nice to see her knowing the gear well and utilising the equipment rather than simply just a Pretty face and voice to front a production team writing for her.

I dare say they'll be some product endorsement package for her with Yamaha soon,given he showcases the Tenori-on so well.

Good Luck to her,wish there were more girls like her into Electronic equipment :nod:
Post Posted Tue Jun 09, 2009 9:21 pm
tinmachine

Equinoxe wrote:I'm Not raving about the Music although I like the simplicity of her style,and its certainly her own style,she's certainly a talented individual,and even more so she can play her devices,the Jools Holland Live appearance is very good,Nice to see her knowing the gear well and utilising the equipment rather than simply just a Pretty face and voice to front a production team writing for her.

I dare say they'll be some product endorsement package for her with Yamaha soon,given he showcases the Tenori-on so well.

Good Luck to her,wish there were more girls like her into Electronic equipment :nod:
I find that there's something special with a number of the tracks - the rolling bassline and romantic melody of "Hearts Collide", and the backing melody to "Ghost" which I find similar to the backing strings to Chronologie 3 (I don't know why, it just keeps reminding me of it for some reason).

But I think you've hit the nail on the head - in my experience, she's the only new mainstream artist I've heard talk about synthesizers and electronic music like JMJ does, so much so I can really imagine her getting a Theremin out or something like that on a project in the near future! Her Facebook page has a really neat video from 10 months ago of her playing the Tenori on in her bedroom and singing Stuck On Repeat, and other pictures appear to show a genuine enthusiasm for fairly "unusual" synths (... ok, maybe not unusual on this board, but in comparison to other mainstream acts).

I think with her limited range of synths, she's done a really amazing job, and to a certain extent she is experimenting with her music like JMJ used to in his early days. So for that reason, I think she's one of the most exciting acts to appear in the last few years. She's like a cross between JMJ and Kylie Minogue, with a retro 80's feel... and after a couple of listens, a large number of songs on the album are really quite catchy!

To me, it just seems like the perfectly appropriate pop album to buy after seeing JMJ's InDoors tour! And I've not really been so pleasantly gobsmacked by an album since the late 80's and early 90's when I was buying JMJ's CDs (up to Chronologie):-D
Post Posted Sun Jul 05, 2009 3:19 pm
Adam

Likes given: 9
Likes received  : 6

Saw her last night on Friday night with Jonathan Ross (BBC1 in the UK)
She was on with Benny from Abba,Sandra Bullock & Emma Watson from the Harry Potter movies.
She sung Remedy along with her Tenori-on & a couple of synths,couldn't make out what they were.
Was quite impressed actually,very talented young lady.
It was actually Pop Idol she was turned down for at the age of 16,well,still a 2 finger salute to Mr Cowell !!
And her real name is Victoria Hesketh.
Post Posted Tue Jul 07, 2009 10:16 am
Dr_Jones

Likes given: 194
Likes received  : 402

I saw some Glastonbury clips with her. Great music, I love the album.
Post Posted Wed Jul 08, 2009 8:07 am
tinmachine

Adam1138 wrote:Saw her last night on Friday night with Jonathan Ross (BBC1 in the UK)
She was on with Benny from Abba,Sandra Bullock & Emma Watson from the Harry Potter movies.
She sung Remedy along with her Tenori-on & a couple of synths,couldn't make out what they were.
Was quite impressed actually,very talented young lady.
It was actually Pop Idol she was turned down for at the age of 16,well,still a 2 finger salute to Mr Cowell !!
And her real name is Victoria Hesketh.
Yes, she was very good on the Jonathan Ross programme, and it looked to be a live performance rather than playback. Really do hope she lasts in the business as she really does appear to be one of the most talented new artists - especially one who plays keyboards and synths!

Apologies for getting X Factor and Pop Idol muddled up!

• 2020 Zoolook.nl