Welcome to the new BlahBlahCafe!

Having trouble registering? You can contact us at the "Contact us" link at the bottom of the page.

Too Jarre-esque

Post Posted Sat Mar 10, 2012 8:44 pm
qube

Hi,

I've recently been invited to do an album with the motivation that it sounds like early 1980's Tangerine Dream. Still got a long way to go but one demo section that I submitted got rejected for sounding too much like Jarre and not enough like TD. (was possibly the use of a phaser)

Anyway, you be the judge.

http://www.dreamconspiracy.co.uk/reve.mp3

Thanks
Post Posted Sun Mar 11, 2012 9:44 pm
shadow

Likes received  : 35

While I love the piece, the phaser does make it sound rather Jarre but I don't think that's really a fair things to say. A phaser is a phaser and is not owned by one person, the piece only reminded me of Jarre at the very beginning, the rest stand perfectly on it's own :)
27-11-10: Ahoy Rotterdam
22-11-16: Heineken Music Hall Amsterdam
Post Posted Mon Mar 12, 2012 12:11 am
qube

Thanks.

I agree TBH, if I wanted it to sound like JMJ there's a lot I could have done rather than just add in a (Small Stone) phaser.

Still, if someone likes it then the effort was not wasted.

Cheers
Post Posted Tue Mar 13, 2012 7:39 pm
Aneka65

Likes received  : 3

:clap: :clap: Woooow nice music electronic :D :D
Change.
Post Posted Thu Mar 15, 2012 2:00 pm
Trevor Hickson

I'm not too familiar with TD's music although I've been told my own work sounds in the same style..

I think you have a great sound and while it does have a jarre-esque feel to it, there are also similarities to many other sounds from the 80's. Overall I think it's still original and you should continue.

Alas, I suffered similar put-downs a few years back when I asked for opinions from a jarre forum on my own musical style. While some people applauded my efforts and enthusiasm to produce new music, others said I was trying to copy Jarre very badly and to profit from his fame.

Of course, everyone has their influences and Jarre is one of mine with the same swirling sound to the backing strings that you have used with the phaser. But I also like to find a more orchestral sound too, with a synhthetic melody line over smooth string sounds.

For the record (no pun intended) I abandoned my original project for a long time but recently completely rewrote something I'd created 20 years ago using more modern equipment. The results gave me new enthusiasm and I'm back now, undeterred and writing again. Have a listen on my website!

So I encourage you to have faith in your own sound and to continue along the path you've started. It DOES sound good and it is YOUR sound.

Best wishes.

Trevor

• 2020 Zoolook.nl