Welcome to the new BlahBlahCafe!

Having trouble registering? You can contact us at the "Contact us" link at the bottom of the page.

Is Waiting for Cousteau Jarre's last 'great' album?

Post Posted Sun Sep 06, 2009 12:20 pm
Kanta
English Moderator & Miss News

Likes given: 79
Likes received  : 311

To answer the question, :no: WFC is not JMJ's last 'great' album. :wink2:
Jarregirl YouTube
Concerts attended:
Théâtre Marigny, Paris - 2007
Symphony Hall, Birmingham - 2008
RAH, London - 2008
Wembley Arena, London - 2009
NIA, Birmingham - 2009
POP Bercy, Paris - 2010
NIA, Birmingham - 2010
O2 Arena, London - 2010
Zénith Aréna, Lille - 2010
Port Hercule, Monaco - 2011
TUI Arena, Hannover - 2011
Festival International de Carthage - 2013
Barclaycard Arena, Birmingham - 2016
Post Posted Sun Sep 06, 2009 5:27 pm
GeeJee
The GUV'NOR

Likes received  : 1

moviemaker wrote:Agreed Jon!

So Android, 1906... is WFC a few presets then? Wasn't it composed by Jarre, seriously?
It's said to be composed by an Algorithm Software: JMJ inserted some basic samples and settings and this track rolled out.

I'm not too sure about that. I mean, nobody ever proved it and nobody equalled his effort.

Then again, I don't really care and I think it's an awesome track.
:mrgreen:
Post Posted Sun Sep 06, 2009 6:10 pm
jarrekid

Certainly not, Oxygene 7-13 is a masterpiece IMO. Metamorphoses is also brilliant but I'm not sure how much of that is a solo work.
Post Posted Sun Sep 06, 2009 7:12 pm
ILIAS

WfC is great. but arent Oxy 7-13 and metamorphoses also great records?

probably Metamorphoses is last I think. released almost 10 years ago already
Post Posted Sun Sep 06, 2009 7:33 pm
Jakob BC
English Moderator, Studio/Stage Expert

ILIAS wrote:WfC is great. but arent Oxy 7-13 and metamorphoses also great records?

probably Metamorphoses is last I think. released almost 10 years ago already
1) Yes and 2) maybe. Sometimes people try to be objective on music, but it doesn't result in anything but a dirty debate.
Post Posted Sun Sep 06, 2009 11:37 pm
moviemaker

Just listened to the track again... and fell asleep, but this was a good thing! This has to be one of my all-time favorite Jarre tracks.

I thought the underlying sounds were generated but that he played the piano sounding parts himself (that is not auto-generated).

It's almost like a piece of soundtrack music. Hypnotic and sucks you into another world. :bravo:
Post Posted Mon Sep 07, 2009 12:54 pm
GeeJee
The GUV'NOR

Right, like Jakob points out, it will always be a matter of taste.

But, if WFC is the last album you really enjoyed, it sounds like you have had a miserable life since 1990, hoping everyday for something better to be released. Haven't you moved on? It's a fricking 19 years ago!! :punch:
Post Posted Mon Sep 07, 2009 4:24 pm
Kanta
English Moderator & Miss News

Likes given: 79
Likes received  : 311

Can't believe how old it is. :o But then I did not have the album then. Probably bought it 2-3 years ago. :oops:
Jarregirl YouTube
Concerts attended:
Théâtre Marigny, Paris - 2007
Symphony Hall, Birmingham - 2008
RAH, London - 2008
Wembley Arena, London - 2009
NIA, Birmingham - 2009
POP Bercy, Paris - 2010
NIA, Birmingham - 2010
O2 Arena, London - 2010
Zénith Aréna, Lille - 2010
Port Hercule, Monaco - 2011
TUI Arena, Hannover - 2011
Festival International de Carthage - 2013
Barclaycard Arena, Birmingham - 2016
Post Posted Mon Sep 07, 2009 4:33 pm
Jakob BC
English Moderator, Studio/Stage Expert

I think it's difficult to sit or lay down and listen to the whole track. I did once, but reached the mental stage between sleep and being awake.
Post Posted Mon Sep 07, 2009 8:01 pm
AnDrOiD

I remember when I first heard it, back in the day, I expected a nice bass sequence, strings, and rhythm to kick in, every other minute. :pwned: :P
SOUNDCLOUD
Rhythmus muss sein!

"20 years ago we had computers in the studios. Now we have studios in the computers" - Michel Moers.
Post Posted Mon Sep 07, 2009 11:49 pm
GlennFolkvord

GeeJee wrote:
moviemaker wrote:It's said to be composed by an Algorithm Software: JMJ inserted some basic samples and settings and this track rolled out.
More or less, but not quite that easy; the piano "melody" is random in the sense that within a given range (set by JMJ) the notes as randomly generated. Also some other sound effects (the little bliirrps in the background, sounds like birds) are made that way. However, the process was very much supervised, edited and moulded by JMJ. I am sure he even took out things that the random process didnt create well enough. It's not like he pressed a button, drank some coffee and voila, it's ready! It's too well structured for that.

To answer the original question; no, I dont think WFC was the last great album. All the following studio albums were great in different ways. IMO not so much T&T (and I dont count GOL and S2K as real album projects) but in no way do I think Jarre has lost "the touch", as some people suggest. I think it's more to do with people changing their taste because of age and experience, or the music scene being much more diversified and full now than 20 years ago.
Post Posted Tue Sep 08, 2009 3:59 am
moviemaker

Great explanation! Thanks for that! :bravo:
Post Posted Tue Sep 08, 2009 7:33 am
GeeJee
The GUV'NOR

@Glenn: yeah, I had my doubts. Sophisticated composing tools based on algorithms were only invented like 7-8 years ago (Karma)- but were never used extensively by any big name. And this piece of software from 1990 writes an entire track? And no big name used it too and came up with something similarly interesting? Add to that, JMJ is too much of a perfectionist to agree with a randomly generated track.
Post Posted Tue Sep 08, 2009 8:12 am
Dr_Jones

Likes given: 194
Likes received  : 402

GeeJee wrote:@Glenn: yeah, I had my doubts. Sophisticated composing tools based on algorithms were only invented like 7-8 years ago (Karma)- but were never used extensively by any big name. And this piece of software from 1990 writes an entire track? And no big name used it too and came up with something similarly interesting? Add to that, JMJ is too much of a perfectionist to agree with a randomly generated track.

There's been some talk about that here:
viewtopic.php?t=3917
Post Posted Tue Sep 08, 2009 10:22 am
Jon

Kanta wrote:Can't believe how old it is. :o
Oxygene is even older :pwned: :mrgreen:
Jarre concerts attended - Destination Docklands 1988 - Paris La Defense 1990 - Europe In Concert 1993 (Manchester & London) - Oxygene Tour 1997 (Birmingham)

"A group of men and woman entered the laboratory one month ago to live in a smell free world. Body odour, sweaty arms pits and smelly feet are to create the energy to survive. A total mystery surrounds this experiment, and it's project code name: B.O and Smell'i "

• 2020 Zoolook.nl