Welcome to the new BlahBlahCafe!

Having trouble registering? You can contact us at the "Contact us" link at the bottom of the page.

Arturia Jarre Presets

Post Posted Fri Jun 03, 2011 11:19 am
qube

Analog-Umph wrote:^ Yup.
qube wrote:Also if you can't make them sound interesting then you're not trying, real analog synths generally sound a bit dull on their own anyway, it's only when you start using external FX and compressors that they become exciting, apply the same logic to Arturia then too you get an interesting sound.
Hmm it seems that the people who defend Arturia plugins always say things like, oh you need to make your patches more interesting. You need to learn synthesis. You need use effects, because analog synths are dull.

I mean, that right there points to them actually not knowing what they are talking about, not the critics.

It's not the synthesis, it's the synth that's the problem. You actually think that people who criticise these synths are beginners to EM and synthesis, I don't think so.
In general, real analog synths don't sound dull and need help to sound good. But when it comes to Arturia's plugins, you need to use eq on all of them.
They just have this, this dumb sound, that doesn't impress in the least bit.
The filters are on all of 'em are atrocious.

You don't need to use any effects on the analogs, that they supposedly emulated, to make them sound great, that stuff is used only for mixing and mastering.

There certainly are very good plugins, brilliant plugins out there.

But when a company goes out of their way to trumpet every single plugin release, stating that they've made the most accurate emulation ever and when they have some of the lousiest most non-helpful support, a dead forum, and an iron will to never listen and act on the good advice of users who've bought their products and who also own the respective hardware, what more is there to say.

Then you have a handful of other companies who don't have the huge marketing that Arturia does, but that make incredible software. The choice is simple.

Infinitely better alternatives to Arturia's: Minimoog, ARP2600, MoogModular and CS80V
are MiniMonsta, TimewARP2600, VAZ Modular and ME80.
Ah so your objection to them is their marketing budget? ;)

'Better' is subjective though, it depends upon the individual. So I don't understand why some people choose to go hating on someone that likes an alternative product. The OP wanted some patches that sound like Jarre for his particular soft-synths, there's no justification to go hating on him just because you prefer different software.

Personally I liked their Moog, 2600, CS80, Mini & the Analog Lab. I didn't get on so much with the Prophet V as I could never get inspired by it, same with the Jupiter, there's nothing essentially wrong with either it's just that I don't get inspired.

But I stick by my comments about FX and processing, if you take say a MiniMoog D and listen to the output without anything added it's very raw and not very musical, add say some chorus and reverb with a bit of delay and it comes alive.

But like with anything it's the composition and creativity of the artist that is the most important component regardless of what else is incorporated, if I hear a great track I'm not really going to care how it was made just that it was.

Incidentally the soft-synths that I go to for inspiration most are Omnisphere, Massive, Absynth, impOSCar, Tassman 4, Modular V & Reaktor.
Post Posted Fri Jun 03, 2011 12:20 pm
Analog-Umph

Likes given: 3
Likes received  : 1

qube wrote:Ah so your objection to them is their marketing budget? ;)
Hell yes. A company that makes inferior products but has superior marketing deserves all the slander it can get.

So that the people can get something better.
Get it?
'Better' is subjective though.
Yes and no! :wink:
it depends upon the individual. So I don't understand why some people choose to go hating.
Hating? That's a strong word. This is not about hating, but finding which product is best.
I got Arturia's stuff way back in 2003, 04 and 05. So I've spent a good deal of time with them - along with products from other companies. And as I started working on them, I constantly ran into unbreakable walls. I would try something but the synths would not let me get "that" sound, simply because they lacked the timbral qualities I was after.
Not because of my synthesis or anything else.

I constantly asked myself what could be wrong. And slowly found out through observation and questioning, talking to others, testing and more testing, that the software was not as great as was being touted. It was a learning process back then, in the early 2000's, when plugins were just taking off. And it took me by surprise that a company as reputable as Arturia was acutally making plugins that were turning people off, and onto other products by other companies.

This has nothing to do with hating, and everything to do with observation of the way things are.
The OP wanted some patches that sound like Jarre for his particular soft-synths, there's no justification to go hating on him just because you prefer different software. .
What???

I helped the guy out as soon as I found out what he needed. I would do it again.
You interpret things inversely to what they are. I'm saying what I am saying because he could spare himself the time/frustration of working on weak sounding synths and jump right into some better made synthesizers.

I'm suggesting other stuff, it's because I've been there and I want to help.
Personally I liked their Moog, 2600, CS80, Mini
I like them too. But they fall short of what they are supposed to be/do in the first place.

You don't call something Moog Modular unless its as ballzy as the original. Unfortunately, 7 years of abuse, gives me the licence to think these softsynths are nowhere near what their names suggest. Esp after having travelled to several countries/studios over the past 6 years and spent time in people's studios, people who actually own the old Moog/ARP equipment.
I didn't get on so much with the Prophet V as I could never get inspired by it
Weak filter, like most of them. Saw some interesting stuff on Youtube a while back, so I guess the combo of Prophet 5 and VS is useful in that regards, since the sounds the guy was getting, were pretty unique.

I've got most milage out of the CS80V. I like that one most.
With eq, processing through some saturators, (even real tape), it sounds much better.

But right out of the box ME80 sounds much closer to a real CS80. Try it and tell me I'm wrong.

Arturia also has some of the most unintentionally bad presets I've ever heard.
That doesn't help in this day and age either.

To an average user, a beginner, everything might look, sound and feel dandy.
But people just outgrow that stage sometime I guess. They get a more critical ear.
same with the Jupiter, there's nothing essentially wrong with either it's just that I don't get inspired..
Nice for pads and strings. I mean most of them are nice for pads and sfx, maybe a seq or two. But I wouldn't dream of using them for agressive sounds, for bass and leads.
But I stick by my comments about FX and processing, if you take say a MiniMoog D and listen to the output without anything added it's very raw and not very musical, add say some chorus and reverb with a bit of delay and it comes alive..
As EM musicians I think we all know the benefits of effects processing. :D
Big chains and so on.
Incidentally the soft-synths that I go to for inspiration most are Omnisphere, Massive, Absynth, impOSCar, Tassman 4, Modular V & Reaktor.
Good choice!

Omnisphere, T4 and Reaktor are worlds onto their own.

You should get Alchemy, it's a riot, and I just love additive synthesis.
Without faith nothing is possible. With it, nothing is impossible.
Post Posted Fri Jun 03, 2011 1:02 pm
qube

I have Alchemy player, it's nice but I've not found an effective use for it yet so not upgraded yet. It's like Largo, sounds fantastic for strange noises and whatnot but making practical use of it is a challenge.

My point before is that Arturia doesn't work for you but does for someone else then it is only a difference of opinion not that they're wrong. Some people just seem to go to great lengths to illustrate just how much they hate them, I don't get that, just use something else. Arturia can only afford their marketing budget as their products have been successful.
Post Posted Fri Jun 03, 2011 3:09 pm
GeeJee
The GUV'NOR

@Umph - I'm not using any VSTs yet (have to properly set up Logic and midi/fw interface, takes time, I'm lazy and it seems tediou) but I'm definately digging your advice on VSTs.. :wink2:

TimeWARP is definately on my list.. how is this RFS emulation? Any good? How about that OB-X one?
:mrgreen:
Post Posted Fri Jun 03, 2011 7:32 pm
Blatman

Likes given: 46
Likes received  : 25

Analog-Umph wrote:
matt1314 wrote:First off, I didn't ask for Jarre patches personally made by himself, I know that he didn't make any.
You didn't exactly make it clear in you OP did you.
And in my opinion the Arturia instruments are pretty well made and I don't think they're so horrible as many people say, they sound pretty good to me.
You'll learn in life that opinion doesn't count, facts do.
I'm looking for software patches (for Arturia instruments) from dfferent users, like from this topic, like Equinoxe 7 bass, Equinoxe 4 and Oxygene 4 sequences, Oxygene 2 flute lead, maybe some other basses (like Chronologie 6) and possibly some others, so as many as there were made. Personally, I've never been able to create my own ones, that's why I'm asking. As I said, my search on Google wasn't successful at all.
Why don't you start with these: http://www.mediafire.com/?hyekb9d79k4csjt

You better get synthesizing though, stable of the genre and all.
You said that Arturia emulations are "bad" but when I listen to your patch.... I realize that you don't know how to program correctly a sound :)... That's not "jarre" patch that's just some basic sounds...
Post Posted Fri Jun 03, 2011 8:12 pm
Analog-Umph

GeeJee wrote:@Umph - I'm not using any VSTs yet (have to properly set up Logic and midi/fw interface, takes time, I'm lazy and it seems tediou) but I'm definately digging your advice on VSTs.. :wink2:

TimeWARP is definately on my list.. how is this RFS emulation? Any good? How about that OB-X one?
PolyKB, very nice, for esoteric sequences and all sorts of synthy michief, aside from the bread and butter stuff. Xils is actually headed by a guy that used to work at Arturia. He did the coding on some of the synths there.
Which is why Xils synths sound like distant Arturia cousins. At the moment, I like what they are doing, they say that they are improving all the time, and that's good. I'm not supporting them yet, but their current 2 synths are pretty comprehensive, deep and usable.

Both of them have plenty modern/vintage presets straight out of the box, with more 3rd party stuff coming in all the time. They have a positive community following as well, unlike Arturia's synths which never sustained an active community.

Now, I'm not sure what this new synth is that they are making at Xils, but it's pretty close to the Synthex. You can follow the thread discussion on KVR.

I do know that SonicProjects makes a great OB-X emu, because I use it all the time.
Very cool and agressive synth. Esp with their new recently released version 2, check this out:
http://www.kvraudio.com/forum/viewtopic ... 99&start=0

Recording advice: always oversample!
Or bump things up to 96KHz 24 bit (though this, unlike oversampling changes filter response settings, envelopes and other things, so you might have to be readjust everything. Not all synths have an oversampling option, which is why recording at a higher fidelity is needed.)

Uhe is another killer company. Urs started out with Zebra 1 for Mac, moved onto the groundbreaking super popular synth for PC and MAC, Zebra 2.

Now he's doing amazing things with analog emulation, with ACE and his upcoming modular
super synth, Bazille. Try ACE out it's a killer synth.

All in all, it all depends what you wanna do, because it's very easy to collect plugins, and just about everyone goes through that hording process. That can kill creativity and inspiration like there is no tomorrow. That's a lot of quality freeware on top of that, so you have to be very focused on what exactly you want, and how you want to achieve that. Then you gotta do some research and testing to find out what sounds/feels best. Gui/workflow/timbre quality & range.

If you have a billion wonderful options to choose from, you're stuffed.
Post Posted Fri Jun 03, 2011 8:18 pm
Analog-Umph

Blatman wrote:You said that Arturia emulations are "bad" but when I listen to your patch.... I realize that you don't know how to program correctly a sound :)...
I didn't program those two patches. Reading is a powerful tool!
Your move. :fine:
That's not "jarre" patch that's just some basic sounds...
You oughta have your hearing checked.
Post Posted Fri Jun 03, 2011 10:49 pm
matt1314

Blatman wrote:That's not "jarre" patch that's just some basic sounds...
OMG... :shock: These are some really awesome presets there, I guess you didn't listen to Jarre's Oxygène 2 and Equinoxe etc...
Post Posted Sat Jun 04, 2011 8:53 pm
Blatman

Likes given: 46
Likes received  : 25

matt1314 wrote:
Blatman wrote:That's not "jarre" patch that's just some basic sounds...
OMG... :shock: These are some really awesome presets there, I guess you didn't listen to Jarre's Oxygène 2 and Equinoxe etc...
Yes i tried this patchs but they are basic... anybody can create the Oxygene 2 square sound with any synth.
Post Posted Mon Jun 13, 2011 5:57 am
Analog-Umph

Anybody dig this look of the new Synthex emu: http://www.xils-lab.com/pages/X%252dSynth.html/
Post Posted Mon Jun 13, 2011 11:58 am
GeeJee
The GUV'NOR

Analog-Umph wrote:Anybody dig this look of the new Synthex emu: http://www.xils-lab.com/pages/X%252dSynth.html/
Well, I would've preferred a more accurate look, but hey, it's all about the sound in the end. I'm in.
:mrgreen:
Post Posted Wed Jun 22, 2011 6:08 am
Analog-Umph

Synthix demo is up now, if anyone wants to try.
Post Posted Wed Jun 22, 2011 8:53 pm
Beelooo

Likes given: 2
Likes received  : 4

Analog-Umph wrote:Synthix demo is up now, if anyone wants to try.
Hello everyone !

Gonna try it asap, just have to plug the MIDI keyb again
Post Posted Wed Jun 22, 2011 9:23 pm
Beelooo

Likes given: 2
Likes received  : 4

Beelooo wrote:
Analog-Umph wrote:Synthix demo is up now, if anyone wants to try.
Hello everyone !

Gonna try it asap, just have to plug the MIDI keyb again
just found out some RDV main bascis + laser harp basics (not customisable du to the limited version). There is a preset called laser hapr, but i rather prefer the base sound of another prest wich semms to be really near the sound. Wooooowwww, that stuff really rocks !!!

And a very nice sound wich remember me the Supertramp Wurli.
Now i'w going in bed with the logical song in my hands and head !
Post Posted Fri Jun 24, 2011 3:36 pm
matt1314

Yeah, that demo is truly awesome, I loved it when I tried it. I hope to get the full version soon.

@Beelooo:

I tried the laser harp patch. But what sound did you mean which comes really close to Jarre's harp? Maybe the "PL LA1 XO"?

• 2020 Zoolook.nl