Welcome to the new BlahBlahCafe!

Having trouble registering? You can contact us at the "Contact us" link at the bottom of the page.

What synth is Jarre using on "Vintage"

Post Posted Sat Jul 16, 2011 8:14 am
gwb74

Likes given: 1
Likes received  : 1

Hello,

Does anyone know what type of syths Jarre used for the song "Vintage" from the Teo & Tea Album?
Are there softsyth's to emulate those sounds?

GWB
Post Posted Sat Jul 16, 2011 9:33 am
qube

Wasn't that whole album pretty much a promo for the Roland MC-808 as he was working with them at the time to help develop it.

Omnisphere + RMX would nail most of those sounds, or Massive & Battery. The whole record is very bright, fizzy and digital, getting a similar sound shouldn't be too hard to achieve.
Post Posted Sat Jul 16, 2011 12:00 pm
Jon

The lead sound in 'Vintage' is from the Alesis Andromeda.
Jarre concerts attended - Destination Docklands 1988 - Paris La Defense 1990 - Europe In Concert 1993 (Manchester & London) - Oxygene Tour 1997 (Birmingham)

"A group of men and woman entered the laboratory one month ago to live in a smell free world. Body odour, sweaty arms pits and smelly feet are to create the energy to survive. A total mystery surrounds this experiment, and it's project code name: B.O and Smell'i "
Post Posted Sun Jul 17, 2011 5:39 am
jp8000

qube wrote:Wasn't that whole album pretty much a promo for the Roland MC-808 as he was working with them at the time to help develop it.

I can't find any of the preset sounds from the MC808, which would have been used in the "Vintage" excluding the drums.

(I have the box myself)

It does have "Fresh news", "In the mood for you", "Touch to remember", "Melancholic rodeo", "Gossip", "Chatterbox" and my favourite preset drum pattern "Beautiful agony", like the video reveals.
Master of copying other composers work.. subconsciously

My soundclick

Facebook

My youtube channel
Post Posted Sun Jul 17, 2011 9:08 am
radek tymecki

according to T&T anybody knows what loop was used in partners in crime pt2 ?
Post Posted Sun Jul 17, 2011 1:57 pm
gwb74

Jon wrote:The lead sound in 'Vintage' is from the Alesis Andromeda.

Are there any VST plugins to emulate this sound.....can't find it
Post Posted Sun Jul 17, 2011 1:59 pm
gwb74

jp8000 wrote:
qube wrote:Wasn't that whole album pretty much a promo for the Roland MC-808 as he was working with them at the time to help develop it.

I can't find any of the preset sounds from the MC808, which would have been used in the "Vintage" excluding the drums.

(I have the box myself)

It does have "Fresh news", "In the mood for you", "Touch to remember", "Melancholic rodeo", "Gossip", "Chatterbox" and my favourite preset drum pattern "Beautiful agony", like the video reveals.
I saw that too in the youtube video.....no sounds that are used in Vintage
Post Posted Sun Jul 17, 2011 5:48 pm
Jon

The guitar riff in PiC is on the Roland V-Synth (GT). My Access Virus B has a few other sounds that feature on the T&T album, the lead sound from BA being one of them.
Jarre concerts attended - Destination Docklands 1988 - Paris La Defense 1990 - Europe In Concert 1993 (Manchester & London) - Oxygene Tour 1997 (Birmingham)

"A group of men and woman entered the laboratory one month ago to live in a smell free world. Body odour, sweaty arms pits and smelly feet are to create the energy to survive. A total mystery surrounds this experiment, and it's project code name: B.O and Smell'i "
Post Posted Thu Aug 04, 2011 4:39 pm
Equinoxe

I'm sure this topic has been discussed a while ago, if anyone remembers I posted an Audio demo of all the Presets I found on the TI and V synth GT.,including the Tape rewind sound on MR and Guitar lick off the V synth GT on "Ok Do it Fast" (I have since sold on the GT and ordered a Jupiter 80 to Replace it as I have an XT anyhow!)..

The Bell intro sound and Also the main lead sound in Vintage are off the Virus TI(this is layered with the wobbling lfo Modulated type sound underneath) they are all preset sounds,including the screeching lead sound off this track also

Jarre used around 10-15 presets off the TI including several SFX(Lobster preset on chatterbox at "0.22")Theres also a talking modulator type sound used in "Fresh News".there are loads of Hoover presets that he could have used anyone of them for the TT tracks and various other tracks that used one!,I will have to do a list of the actual preset names in total and post them when I get chance,the MC808 is full of Hoover and dance sounds so there's all manner of combinations he could have used,however the most obvious sounds I have found in the synths he used mainly the TI

In the mood features a lead sound that sounds like the "Sol in Andromeda" preset off the Andromeda but its actually off the TI as well at "2.06"as I have since found this in the preset banks too and it sounds more like this than the Andromeda patch as i have both to compare the sounds.Unless Jarre did some serious editing on the Andromeda and built sounds from scratch,there is no substantial use of any preset sounds from this synth and I'm inclined to wonder if he actually used it at all in this respect..

There was also a preset sound I found on the Yamaha EX5r synth,which I suspect Jarre had this in a sample set somewhere as it not been listed in the gear,but its an exact sound that is in the EX presets,its the amtospheric pad at the start of "Touch to remember",This sound I Also put in the Audio demo of the TI sounds,I no longer own the EX5 so can't remember what it was called,but its probably in the original post I put up on this a while ago!

As for the MC808(I Do now own one myself too,great fun :mrgreen: ) well we are all aware of the onboard patterns he used,including the "Ravers film" used for the Melancholic Rodeo Track which was used "as is" direct out of the box,(where the other patterns were slightly edited and parts removed as such or muted)

I'm led to beleive that there were two different versions of the Preset rhythm patterns banks in the MC808 one for the European market and one for the asian so Jarre may have had some extra patterns in his used on the album given he was using a protoype that are not in the MC808 that was the production model,but I have yet to see this as rock solid evidence of the other patterns existing certainly most of the rhythms he used are on the european version of the MC808

For MR the pattern(called "A Ravers Film") off the MC808 was merely transposed a few semitones down(and a few drum parts muted) With the lead sound called "Monterey" off the Virus,TI I reckon this track was done in one pass,as its just a case of press play and away we go with a lead from the virus!(I've had fun playing this myself on a few occasions!)easiest cover I ever did...LOL didn't have to do anything except hit play and play the Virus!!! bit like Jarre!!! :?

As for the bright and fizzy sound overall of the Album....Anyone with an MC808 will know where this comes from,its a characteristic sound of its tone,no matter how to try to influence it with other instruments now I own one I can see how it shaped and toned the sound as opposed to his other albums,and probably why many hate this album!!

As for other presets.....I think Jarre must also have a DSI Evolver in his arsenal....as the SFX he used for the end of Oxygene 12 on the recent tours(The modulating FX before the final crescendo)is a preset called "The Landing"(It like a siren sound)
Post Posted Mon Aug 08, 2011 5:53 pm
Jakob BC
English Moderator, Studio/Stage Expert

Regarding the Oxygene 12 question, I remember watching a picture of a hidden DSI Mopho behind the sequencer monitor. I cannot find it atm, but Im quite sure it's around somewhere on the forum. Perhaps this preset was used on both synths.
Post Posted Wed Aug 10, 2011 1:27 pm
Equinoxe

Jakob BC wrote:Regarding the Oxygene 12 question, I remember watching a picture of a hidden DSI Mopho behind the sequencer monitor. I cannot find it atm, but Im quite sure it's around somewhere on the forum. Perhaps this preset was used on both synths.

Yes its possible both machines could have the same sound,obviously the Evolver also has 2 digital oscillators so providing this preset is made using the Analog ones inside the Evolver then I suspect it could have been used in the Mopho banks too..Well spotted with the Mopho
Post Posted Fri Oct 14, 2011 5:55 am
jp8000

Jon wrote:The lead sound from BA being one of them.
It can be from SH201 too, because there is a similar sound found, and that sound is quite common one, I guess.

Btw.

the sound (in BA) from 0:24 is a preset sound from SH201 (the brass like sound)
Master of copying other composers work.. subconsciously

My soundclick

Facebook

My youtube channel

• 2020 Zoolook.nl