Welcome to the new BlahBlahCafe!

Having trouble registering? You can contact us at the "Contact us" link at the bottom of the page.

Dissapointing Oxygene Remaster - 24bit 96KHz

Post Posted Wed Jul 24, 2013 11:16 am
Nino

Thought I'd invest in the hi-res files through the Qobuz site.

Does anyone else think that the compression is horrid throughout the album. They didn't need to squash the dynamic range at all, that's the point of mastering at such high sample rates, plus it should only be used to control wayward transients (of which there are none in the album anyway), and to help tighten the bottom end and reduce mid range harshness.

Also, it seems that though the desire to make it sound 'wider', the converse has happened. there is that point where the phase coherence goes, there is too much cancellation and it all starts to sound more mono with an unstable stereo image.

I there is also this horrid 1Khz ringing in part VI.

I suppose the temptation make everything sound 'louder' and 'wider' is just too much still.

I haven't the Mobile Fidelity Soundlab version, which everyone seems to think was the best version. Anyone up for sending me an uncompressed version of that as I can't find it anywhere?

Cheers
Nino
Post Posted Wed Jul 24, 2013 6:23 pm
Herr Dunkel

Likes given: 39
Likes received  : 10

Hi Nino,

I have the MFSL Oxygène disc. PM me and we'll see if we can arrange to get a lossless copy over to you.

Cheers,

HD
Concerts: 2017: Upper Darby < 2010: Lille, Liège, Paris < 1997: Lille < 1990: La Défense
Post Posted Sat Aug 10, 2013 6:36 pm
shadow

Likes received  : 35

No worries, all remasters suck not just the lossless versions. Hell even the remastered Vinyl re-releases suck rear end...
27-11-10: Ahoy Rotterdam
22-11-16: Heineken Music Hall Amsterdam

• 2020 Zoolook.nl