Welcome to the new BlahBlahCafe!

Having trouble registering? You can contact us at the "Contact us" link at the bottom of the page.

Oxygene 14-20

Post Posted Thu Dec 01, 2016 6:27 pm
Jote

Likes given: 55
Likes received  : 68

That sounds mighty interesting. I partly disliked O7-13 because I felt it tried too hard to be like the original Oxygene (I guess mostly because of Oxygene 13 which tried to be "the new Oxygene 6"). Guess I'll find out tomorrow (even though I have that leak).
Post Posted Thu Dec 01, 2016 6:37 pm
jarrepaul

Jote wrote:That sounds mighty interesting. I partly disliked O7-13 because I felt it tried too hard to be like the original Oxygene (I guess mostly because of Oxygene 13 which tried to be "the new Oxygene 6"). Guess I'll find out tomorrow (even though I have that leak).
What Leak?
Europe in Concert Manchester 1993
Oxygène Tour Manchester 1997
World Tour 2010 Manchester
Post Posted Thu Dec 01, 2016 7:14 pm
ralf

jarrepaul wrote:
Jote wrote:That sounds mighty interesting. I partly disliked O7-13 because I felt it tried too hard to be like the original Oxygene (I guess mostly because of Oxygene 13 which tried to be "the new Oxygene 6"). Guess I'll find out tomorrow (even though I have that leak).
What Leak?
https://www.google.com/search?q=jarre+o ... &tbs=qdr:d
Jean Michel Jarre Forever!!
Post Posted Thu Dec 01, 2016 7:17 pm
Jote

jarrepaul wrote:What Leak?
I got a digital copy, but decided to wait until my trilogy box set arrives tomorrow.

Also, Ralf, don't post s**t like that, most of these links are scammers/trojans anyway.
Post Posted Thu Dec 01, 2016 7:35 pm
Fabien D.

jarrepaul wrote:
What Leak?
Let's just say that if you follow a leak, it will flow to a torrent, which will end up in a bay, and you might find pirates in it.

Or you wait for tomorrow ;)
Fabien D.
My Soundcloud : https://soundcloud.com/fabiendefaye

Check out my few albums : sKy (2016) / Klub (2015) / logiK (2014)
Post Posted Thu Dec 01, 2016 7:35 pm
VinylScratch

Don't forget to post the DR values to the dynamic range database.
Hopefully non-sucky masters were used for a change... (well, one can dream ;) )
Post Posted Thu Dec 01, 2016 7:53 pm
ralf

Jote wrote:
jarrepaul wrote:What Leak?
I got a digital copy, but decided to wait until my trilogy box set arrives tomorrow.

Also, Ralf, don't post s**t like that, most of these links are scammers/trojans anyway.
I not give any links. I show only like search leak on internet.
Jean Michel Jarre Forever!!
Post Posted Thu Dec 01, 2016 7:55 pm
starmike

Anyone know if there will be a hi-res version of the album, like on HDTracks or Qobuz?
Post Posted Thu Dec 01, 2016 7:56 pm
Dr_Jones

Likes given: 194
Likes received  : 402

starmike wrote:Anyone know if there will be a hi-res version of the album, like on HDTracks or Qobuz?
Probably. Oxygene 17 is on Qobuz already.
Post Posted Thu Dec 01, 2016 8:06 pm
starmike

I've been holding off on buying a CD because I have an iTunes Music subscription, so I'll at the very least have it that way, but would rather buy it in HD if there's 24/96 version tomorrow.
Post Posted Thu Dec 01, 2016 8:08 pm
jarrepaul

Fabien D. wrote:
jarrepaul wrote:
What Leak?
Let's just say that if you follow a leak, it will flow to a torrent, which will end up in a bay, and you might find pirates in it.

Or you wait for tomorrow ;)
Yes. Could not wait until tomorrow. Not been on my pc for so long I never even looked for it. Lol
Europe in Concert Manchester 1993
Oxygène Tour Manchester 1997
World Tour 2010 Manchester
Post Posted Thu Dec 01, 2016 8:10 pm

Likes given: 1
Likes received  : 9

Oxygene 20 -> goose bumps

It's very very good.
Post Posted Thu Dec 01, 2016 8:12 pm
Jote

ralf wrote:
Jote wrote:
I not give any links.
Dude. You literally posted a link.
Post Posted Thu Dec 01, 2016 8:26 pm
Fabien D.

Ok, I had my hands on this release yesterday and I can't stop listening to it since then.

Oxygène 3, or 14-20 as I prefer to call it, is no Oxygène 1-6 like. You'll find common sounds that are Jarre's sounds, but to me this album is a darker one, and as many says before, not focused on melody as much as Oxygène 1-6 and 7-13 are.
To me Oxygène 7-13 is a Oxygène 1-6 real sequel, same structure, same ideas, and as it was noted before, part 13 trying to copy part 6, and all. You'll find similarities sometime, Part 20 is Part 13 inspired, you can even listen to it few secondes, but this is no Part 13 either.

This album is a true Jarre's journey. You sit somewhere and you listen to it, dreaming, traveling, for 39 minutes.
Part 17 is the most melodic one, but what's different with other "classic" albums is that most of the time previous tracks were here to bring you to the melodic track (most of the time, every two tracks with Jarre). Here, Part 17 is like a pause in the album, each track call next and previous one, except this one. When you listen to the album the first time, it fits strangely in the all album, but you get used to it over time and seing this track as a sort of breathing in the album fits with what I feel now.
The strangest one and most expressiv one at the same time is Part 20 that I would have split in two, but it is a very moving track.

In this whole album, sound is very warm, cosy, I call it blue sound as it is what is closet to this color in my representation. Jarre use simple background (eminent I think), phased synths, loooooaaads of white noise, and all, and many many EMS VS 3 sounds. This is what makes it very Oxygène without being Oxygène. Like Equinoxe is not called Oxygène but is very Oxygène like, this album cold have been called something else, it have Jarre sound, but modern one.

To conclude on this general comments, tracks preview, again with artists like Jarre, is very different from the reality of this album.

I have no intent to write a full review here, juste few thoughts about this album, track by tracks :

Part 14 is a very slow intro, very timeless to me, everything is putted in place slowly for a delightful progression with a leading bass sound and a theme appearing, shared by few synths. Very warm and relaxing track.

Part 15 is Jarre playing with the buttons on his arpeggiator, and doing it so well that you end up with a rhythmic but very pleasant track, fueled with strange noises everywhere, again an eminent background to accompany you, with some Oxygène sounds in the rhythm in the middle of the track, as a breathing. All this end in what can remind you of some Chronology 7 track

Part 16 sounds a bit like Arpeggiator, with a slow construct, addition of elements that lead to a climax point in the middle of the track, followed by a slow deconstruction of it. This track is quite dark, and you need to break this feeling, and for that, you just need a more happy theme like Part 17.

Part 17 is the one for the radio, easy to listen, catchy. Alone, I was disturbed by the opening beat, a bit odd putted this way in the track, in the whole album, it makes sens. Many of you listened to it already, this sharp high sound sharing the lead of the track with an other synth which have a beautifully slow attack.

Part 18 put you back in the mood with a short slow and gloomy track, full of reverb, chorus and phasers. A transition track to lead you to a more trancy track.

Part 19 is the twin of Stardust in many ways. Jarre says he wrote it for collaboration with Armin van Buuren, you definitively see the link there, less trance than Stardust, but you have the spirit of it, and this note shinning alone at 3:37, a bit like the theme starting again in Stardust, all os this with loads of white noise.

Part 20 is for me in 2 parts, first part with theses organ sounds mixed appearing / powering up and fading away / powering down, then you got a reminder of what Oxygène 13 was, a bit as in The Train and the River with Lang Lang.
Part 2 is very very very moving, it's a slow increase with very rich sounds, playing a theme slowly, but taking your guts progressively and surely. One a the best part Jarre ever wrote, minimalist in the theme, rich with the sounds, and timeless.

I still have to try to listen to Oxygène 1-20 in a row, but I have to say that I'm impressed with this release. It's not a remix of what he did before, it sound very familiar but new at the same time, more profound, rich, with many details... love it !

But, that said, people looking for the melodic Jarre, with good melodies, easy to remember and sing, this album will be interesting for you, but it is not the one you'll be looking for. In a way Electronica 1 is more what you're looking for for the recent work, this one is a bit more like Electronica 2 in the spirit.

Peace.
Fabien D.
My Soundcloud : https://soundcloud.com/fabiendefaye

Check out my few albums : sKy (2016) / Klub (2015) / logiK (2014)
Post Posted Thu Dec 01, 2016 8:32 pm

Likes given: 1
Likes received  : 9

Botch Oxygene 14 and 20 are trance tracks
without the commonplace boom-tsk-boom-tsk-boom-tsk-crap

• 2020 Zoolook.nl