Welcome to the new BlahBlahCafe!

Having trouble registering? You can contact us at the "Contact us" link at the bottom of the page.

The current state of the forum

Post Posted Fri Sep 25, 2020 5:59 pm
Jote

Likes given: 55
Likes received  : 68

Thanks. I wish there was also a way to see which threads are incomplete - perhaps even users could mark them as such? That, I realize, would be probably hard to achieve as that's an extra boolean flag for each thread.
Post Posted Fri Sep 25, 2020 6:21 pm
Adam

Likes given: 9
Likes received  : 6

I think that would be hard to acheive, it is just going to be a long process adding the lost posts back.
As far as a Like function I have got something working on my test board using the new style that I am working on.
There is a like button on each post, when you click "Like" that button disappears & a list of users who have liked that post appear at the bottom of the post, and on your profile it will display how many likes you have given and received
And a list of users with most likes at the bottom of the index page with the other stats.
I have asked Dr Jones to have a look at it & see if it something we can use.
Post Posted Fri Sep 25, 2020 7:08 pm
Dr_Jones

Likes given: 194
Likes received  : 402

I'm currently focusing on restoring most that I could find from the google, bing and yandex search cache. I have not given other ways a thought yet, apart from creating an orphanage for orphaned posts. This will put the lost post back on this board. Maybe that'll help with identifying where the post belongs to. But this is long-term thinking, the restoration with the search indexes is time consuming.

A second way to restore posts is that some posts in the database might quote other posts which are in a topic. That would usually mean that that post belongs to that topic too.
Post Posted Fri Sep 25, 2020 8:30 pm
Finaero

Likes given: 186
Likes received  : 54

Hot dang, kudos to Dr_Jones and co. for reviving the forum!

I assume kubrick will now be banned after evading it for years? >: ]
Post Posted Fri Sep 25, 2020 8:38 pm
Dr_Jones

You're not the first to ask that :-D
Post Posted Fri Sep 25, 2020 9:00 pm
jarrities

@Dr_Jones: did you ever get clone/snapshot from the server to do forensics on?
I know it's a slim chance to have pulled useful data of it, as it should have been done as the first thing (getting a clone/snapshot that is) after the crash....
Post Posted Fri Sep 25, 2020 9:24 pm
Dr_Jones

I got a database dump from early September, the hosting service don't hold a backup for a long time. They got me the oldest data from their disaster recovery which was sadly too late, they do a daily backup and keep 7. I did try to get an older one but that was impossible; databases are stored on a different server so I was hoping to get access to some missing data. As long as tables are not truncated, there might have been a chance to get stuff back from the filesystem. So yeah, there were quite some hurdles to take. Beatle got me a database dump from december 2006 from one of his old discs, which at least is something.
Post Posted Fri Sep 25, 2020 9:30 pm
jarrities

Ok, well you're doing amazing work with what you've got.

Hopefully backups will be kept for longer now (and on remote server) - just in case?!

Keep up the good work! Much appreciated.
Post Posted Fri Sep 25, 2020 9:52 pm
Dr_Jones

I have set a daily backup with a maximum of 10 days. I will build something to upload backups to a remote server on a weekly basis.
Post Posted Fri Sep 25, 2020 10:33 pm
jarrities

A more secure solution will be to have the remote server login and fetch the backup. That way - if the current server is compromised - the backup cannot be deleted as an attacker don't have the keys or password for remote server.

If you need my help on how to configure this or have other security questions, then don't hesitate to DM me.
Post Posted Fri Sep 25, 2020 10:56 pm
Dr_Jones

I already have an idea for that, but thank you.
Post Posted Sat Sep 26, 2020 10:11 am
Dr_Jones

Just added 6 missing topics and 4386 missing posts, including the happy birthday topic, which was probably one of the last topics created before the crash:
https://www.zoolook.nl/forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=7146

And there's also one post in this topic of which I don't know the original poster:
https://www.zoolook.nl/forum/viewtopic. ... 56#p205956
So I've given it to a user I created for these kinds of posts: Organa. If someone knows who the original poster is, let me know and then I'll change it.
Post Posted Sat Sep 26, 2020 10:16 am
Dr_Jones

jarrities wrote: Fri Sep 25, 2020 10:33 pm A more secure solution will be to have the remote server login and fetch the backup. That way - if the current server is compromised - the backup cannot be deleted as an attacker don't have the keys or password for remote server.

If you need my help on how to configure this or have other security questions, then don't hesitate to DM me.
I now have a weekly cronjob on my NAS that will fetch all the database backups from the VPS. If there's a major crash, only a week of data will be lost in the worst case scenario.
Post Posted Sat Sep 26, 2020 11:24 pm
jarrities

Dr_Jones wrote: Sat Sep 26, 2020 10:16 am
I now have a weekly cronjob on my NAS that will fetch all the database backups from the VPS. If there's a major crash, only a week of data will be lost in the worst case scenario.
Awesome. Good work!
Post Posted Mon Sep 28, 2020 12:13 am
Dr_Jones

Late Sunday evening update: imported some of the (mostly off-topic) mega-threads. This adds 9491 new posts and brings the grand total to 90782 (44%). I noticed some topics and posts are not converted in the phpbb2 -> phpbb3 conversion, so if I find out why, I guess those percentages will go up a little. I still have some printview topics to go, so the percentage will still go up. But to be honest: I never expected to go to 44% in the first place!

The mega-threads which are updated are:

Off topic:
Post pictures of your studios!
Some JMJ's photos
What did you do today
What is teasing you
What is the last thing you bought
What made you smile today

Concerts:
[Spoilers]In-Doors World Arena Tour 2009_10

Note: most of those mega-threads are not complete. Turns out there's a maximum file size for all those files in the search engine's cache. Ah well, I could save the first 2000+ posts of these threads.

And I've added a favicon.

• 2020 Zoolook.nl