Welcome to the new BlahBlahCafe!

Having trouble registering? You can contact us at the "Contact us" link at the bottom of the page.

Oxygene 7-13 synths

Post Posted Tue Jan 05, 2021 2:36 pm
Blatman

Likes given: 46
Likes received  : 25

Dr_Jones wrote: Mon Jan 04, 2021 9:51 pm You nailed the main melody sound. The whole track sounds great in fact. One thing though: the "choir" sounds a bit off, too much reverb maybe, I don't know.
Thank you for your feedback. I will check the amount of reverb on the choir sound ! Of course some elements are still missing but it is still "work in progress" :) Btw if you have elements that I can add do not hesitate to share them to me, I'd be glad to use elements from you and other people :)
Post Posted Wed Jan 13, 2021 8:58 am
Blatman

Hello guys ! More question about this album.... Do you know which synth was used for the crazy bass sound at the end or O12 ? I am not talking about the rubber fx sound but the bass sound that we can hear at the same time. On the Oxygene 12 promo version it is maybe more obvious.
Post Posted Thu Jan 14, 2021 11:35 am
Blatman

Hello !! Here is my work in progress Oxygene 12 start : https://1drv.ms/u/s!AoK15qyeQcQchcZbv6q ... Q?e=i4kcmI

and the Oxygene 8 : https://1drv.ms/u/s!AoK15qyeQcQchcZd812 ... A?e=dLb4Og

What do you think ?
Last edited by Blatman on Fri Jan 15, 2021 5:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Post Posted Thu Jan 14, 2021 3:33 pm
Dr_Jones

Likes given: 194
Likes received  : 402

Wow, Oxygene 12 sounds fantastic. The effects are exactly like the original. Can't wait to hear the finished version!
For Oxygene 8 the same, the sounds are just totally the same. I think the melody is shifted though. The main melody starts a bit too early and the end note of the has to start on a new chord if you know what I mean.
Post Posted Thu Jan 14, 2021 6:21 pm
Blatman

Thank you for your feedback ! Oxygene 12 sequences are a bit complicated because they look.... random... so I am slowing down the song and try to find all notes one by one :)

For Oxygene 8 I understand what you mean, I will have a look at it. I have some sounds I am not 100% happy with but I am improving things all the time.
Post Posted Sat Jan 16, 2021 3:34 pm
Wax Mango

Likes received  : 10

Pretty much nailing these covers, Blatman! Never heard covers quite like these - but I guess it helps having access to some of the original sounds :wink:

If I were to have one constructive criticism it's that in O12, the chords need to come in quicker, on the beat. They feel a little laboured to my ears. The track is quite beat driven with tight timings and the slightest of drift is noticeable.
Post Posted Sat Jan 16, 2021 5:02 pm
Blatman

Thank you Wax Mango ! Of course having Raven choir and Mellotron sounds from the sr-jv80 helped a lot ! But in fact it is only one sounds for Oxygene 8 😉 that is the reason why it is not 100% identical to the original song. Next step is to provide a complete stems for people who wants to have fun and play songs ! It is better than midi files played on arrangers....
Post Posted Sat Jan 16, 2021 6:20 pm
Dr_Jones

Likes given: 194
Likes received  : 402

Oh yes, stems are brilliant!
Post Posted Mon Jan 18, 2021 12:05 pm
Blatman

Hello guys, it should be ok for the Oxygene 8 stems : https://1drv.ms/u/s!AoK15qyeQcQchcZho7f ... A?e=NDbWrF

If you improve this track please send me elements you have I would be happy to include them in this cover !
Post Posted Thu Jan 21, 2021 3:41 pm
Adam

Likes given: 9
Likes received  : 6

Thanks very much, I look forward to having a play around with those.
What is the correct Tempo to use please.
Post Posted Fri Jan 22, 2021 10:45 am
Blatman

Hello, here is my last version (a little bit shorter to match the album version, please note that the volume automation at the end is not on the STEM so it may sound strange at the end without it)

https://1drv.ms/u/s!AoK15qyeQcQchccYlja ... g?e=RkKLE5

Also please note that the drums part is the wav file with "Drum Comp" in the filename. You also have access to isolated element of the drums part.

BPM is 137
Post Posted Thu Jan 28, 2021 5:27 pm
Beelooo

Likes given: 2
Likes received  : 4

Oxygene 8 :

Eminent 310 in combination with EHX small stone ; just change the mode and the rate and you'll get it :)

About the drums, maybe raven but i think there's also TR808

Oxygene 10 :

The variation arppegios is IMO the raven again with random delay generated by MIDI data saturation .JMJ détailled it in this video :

Also a good use of the nordlead 1 on the album doubled with ARP 2600.
Post Posted Mon Feb 01, 2021 9:59 am
Blatman

Hmm for Oxygene 8 I think it is definitely a mix between the TR808 and a Korg Minipops sound. For the Eminent Jarre said during this interview that he used various phaser pedal. And for Oxygene 8 we can't be 100% sure that it is the SmallStone, on my cover I used the MuTron Biphase by Arturia. But it could be the Sovtek or maybe a different revision of the Smallstone !

https://soundcloud.com/cedric-lalouette/oxygene-8-cover for the Oxygene 8 (and 7) cover.

By the way... do you know where the "rain" sound from Oxygene 7 comes from ? It doesn't look like synthesis sound but more a true rain recording, or a sample, any idea ?
Post Posted Mon Feb 01, 2021 7:12 pm
Wax Mango

Likes received  : 10

Regarding the Smallstone phaser, JMJ has said in several interviews that he has one that has been modified to go slower than the controls on the front allow - essentially mirroring the effect you get when a battery starts to run out and everything just goes a bit slower. Patrick Geiss is the one who did the modifications. Smallstones can run on batteries and I've run a few down getting a slower effect!

As for the sounds of the various Smallstones, I'm fortunate to own an original 60's orange one, a Sovtek one and newer red version. They do all sound different. The original sounds really gritty, but that's probably due to the electronics being 50 years old! The Sovtek one also sounds a bit gritty and the slowest speeds don't seem as slow as the EHX versions; and the newer model sounds like a lush, cleaner smallstone. They all sound gorgeous really.

Don't forget that for O7-13 JMJ claims to have used the Roland MC303 so it's possible some of the drum sounds came from that.

The rain sound at the end of O7 sounds like white noise rather than a rain sample - that's not to say that maybe he didn't mix both (a la musique concrete). I've used the Roland SH101 to get a pretty much exact sound but in reality, any analogue white noise source will probably do the job. I just find that the 101 has a real sparkle about it, when playing with the white noise. So for JMJ, it's probable that the VCS3 is the culprit as it seems that that's his go-to synth for white noise effects. The ARP 2600 noise generator just doesn't cut it for me on the white noise front - sounds a bit dull.
Post Posted Wed Feb 03, 2021 10:53 am
Jote

Likes given: 55
Likes received  : 68

Blatman wrote: Thu Jan 14, 2021 11:35 am Hello !! Here is my work in progress Oxygene 12 start : https://1drv.ms/u/s!AoK15qyeQcQchcZbv6q ... Q?e=i4kcmI

and the Oxygene 8 : https://1drv.ms/u/s!AoK15qyeQcQchcZd812 ... A?e=dLb4Og

What do you think ?
This is truly exceptional work. I love the stems you shared. Keep it up. I'd be interested in hearing O12 stems as well, esp. the bass!

Again, exceptional.

And once you're done with replicating them - remix them. Modernize them, add your own flair (if you can, that is - I know I can't do much except replicating!)

• 2020 Zoolook.nl