Welcome to the new BlahBlahCafe!

Having trouble registering? You can contact us at the "Contact us" link at the bottom of the page.

Rendez-vous I opening

Post Posted Fri Mar 12, 2021 9:58 am
Antonuzzo

I'm in the process of putting together a bank of Jarre patches for the JX-03 (which I'll share when it's done). It's not a Synthex or an Oberheim (or even a Seiko) of course, but it is a surprisingly versatile and capable little synth. I've got a fair few done so far, but I'm looking to recreate the opening drone from Rendez-vous I.

Any pointers would be welcome. It sounds like a couple of detuned oscillators with a touch of LFO and some sample & hold (although that my come from a different instrument) - does anyone have more concrete info on how it was done?
Post Posted Fri Mar 12, 2021 5:09 pm
Finaero

Likes given: 186
Likes received  : 54

The only thing I remember is that it might be a preset called Arr Bass. I think I got the samples (attached here) from these forums, too...
Attachments
arrbass.zip
(218.58 KiB) Downloaded 407 times
Post Posted Sat Mar 13, 2021 11:44 am
Jote

Likes given: 55
Likes received  : 68

I kind of recreated this sound some 12 years ago on a Yamaha AN1x

http://jote.eu/musique/an1x/rv1-2.mp3
Post Posted Sat Mar 13, 2021 3:55 pm
Antonuzzo

Jote, that's really good - would love to see your patch settings. I've pondered getting an AN1x for ages.

Finaero - I had a listen to the original Sararr patch at the bottom of the scale and it also sounds close. That thing gets everywhere...
Post Posted Sun Mar 14, 2021 10:03 pm
Jote

Antonuzzo wrote: Sat Mar 13, 2021 3:55 pm Jote, that's really good - would love to see your patch settings. I've pondered getting an AN1x for ages.

Finaero - I had a listen to the original Sararr patch at the bottom of the scale and it also sounds close. That thing gets everywhere...
I'll try to find it. Finaero might be right though, it does sound like "Arr Bass" (which is not the "Arr1" or "Sar arr", it's a different waveform) which I've had for ages in some obscure format.
Post Posted Sat Mar 20, 2021 12:23 pm
Blatman

Likes given: 46
Likes received  : 25

It sounds great ! What waveform did you used to achieve this sound ?
Post Posted Mon Apr 05, 2021 9:11 pm
Pando

Likes given: 5
Likes received  : 8

I think it was done with Synthex. I made this clip with Xerxes synth, which is basically the same as Synthex.

https://soundcloud.com/user-635888456/r ... GhJz9XQHyB

Now, can anyone tell what synth/patch was used for the descending intervals starting at about 0:11 seconds into RV1 track? I'm thinking of a sampled piano on Emulator II, but I haven't been able to find that patch. The sustaining sound on those descending intervals is probably from a Seiko DS-250, but the attack sounds like electric piano or something else.
Post Posted Tue Apr 06, 2021 8:00 am
Blatman

Pando wrote: Mon Apr 05, 2021 9:11 pm I think it was done with Synthex. I made this clip with Xerxes synth, which is basically the same as Synthex.

Now, can anyone tell what synth/patch was used for the descending intervals starting at about 0:11 seconds into RV1 track? I'm thinking of a sampled piano on Emulator II, but I haven't been able to find that patch. The sustaining sound on those descending intervals is probably from a Seiko DS-250, but the attack sounds like electric piano or something else.
How you have created the "sonore" sound ? Can you give more details ?
Post Posted Thu Feb 17, 2022 10:29 pm
Blatman

Pando wrote: Mon Apr 05, 2021 9:11 pm I think it was done with Synthex. I made this clip with Xerxes synth, which is basically the same as Synthex.

Seiko DS-250, it is a preset. You can find a Kontakt library for this synth and you have all presets.
Post Posted Tue Mar 08, 2022 7:59 am
Pando

Blatman wrote: Thu Feb 17, 2022 10:29 pm Seiko DS-250, it is a preset. You can find a Kontakt library for this synth and you have all presets.
I have the DS-250, no presets come even close to that sound. I also have the DS-310 programmer for it, and it's not capable of producing this timbre.

It really sounds like a sample of an electric piano or something like that. It of course is layered with the DS-250/310 pad, but I'm talking about the initial attack sound that is clearly not a DS-250.
Post Posted Tue Mar 08, 2022 9:04 am
Blatman

Here is an extract (recorded live... just for you to listen this sound). Maybe we are not talking of the same sound ? https://1drv.ms/u/s!AoK15qyeQcQchc1pm1F ... Q?e=1cbtgg

ps: sorry I just noticed taht the limiter was not active during the recording... but you get the idea.
Last edited by Blatman on Tue Mar 08, 2022 9:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
Post Posted Tue Mar 08, 2022 9:13 am
Blatman

And just for fun.... here is the bass sound from the CMI V OOHH2 : https://1drv.ms/u/s!AoK15qyeQcQchc1qHSM ... Q?e=i5wOmD

If you have doubt for the bass sound try to play the original track at upper 2 octaves ;) you will recognize that it's a choir sound in fact.
Post Posted Thu Mar 10, 2022 6:02 am
Finaero

Likes given: 186
Likes received  : 54

Oh yeah, it definitely sounds like a choir sample when you speed it up by 2.5 on Audacity (for example). As does Jote's file (and the other ArrBass samples) from above.
Post Posted Fri Mar 11, 2022 2:53 pm
Jote

IIRC mine was a detuned saw + noise + low cutoff + huge filter resonance. Not sure where I buried that patch so can't say for sure.
Post Posted Sat Mar 12, 2022 7:32 am
Pando

Blatman wrote: Tue Mar 08, 2022 9:04 am Here is an extract (recorded live... just for you to listen this sound). Maybe we are not talking of the same sound ? https://1drv.ms/u/s!AoK15qyeQcQchc1pm1F ... Q?e=1cbtgg

ps: sorry I just noticed taht the limiter was not active during the recording... but you get the idea.
Yeah, this is the sound. Ok, haha, glad to be proven wrong. If this is done with a DS-250 I'll need to dig deeper into it, as it's clearly not just one of the 16 presets but done with the DS-310 programmer in a creative way plus some processing added.

Which sample pack are you using it from?

Thanks, I've been looking for this sound for quote a while.

• 2020 Zoolook.nl