Welcome to the new BlahBlahCafe!

Having trouble registering? You can contact us at the "Contact us" link at the bottom of the page.

Oxymore album, october 21 2022

Post Posted Sat Oct 22, 2022 7:58 am
Kanta
English Moderator & Miss News

Likes given: 79
Likes received  : 311

#jeanmicheljarre #oxymore #2022
Jarregirl YouTube
Concerts attended:
Théâtre Marigny, Paris - 2007
Symphony Hall, Birmingham - 2008
RAH, London - 2008
Wembley Arena, London - 2009
NIA, Birmingham - 2009
POP Bercy, Paris - 2010
NIA, Birmingham - 2010
O2 Arena, London - 2010
Zénith Aréna, Lille - 2010
Port Hercule, Monaco - 2011
TUI Arena, Hannover - 2011
Festival International de Carthage - 2013
Barclaycard Arena, Birmingham - 2016
Post Posted Sat Oct 22, 2022 8:07 am
Dr_Jones

Likes given: 194
Likes received  : 402

Some friendly person posted scans of the artwork here

https://www.discogs.com/release/2489497 ... UyODI5MDc=
Post Posted Sat Oct 22, 2022 9:05 am
Robi83

Likes given: 3
Likes received  : 14

4 stars out of 5 , with favourable critic.

https://retropopmagazine.com/jean-miche ... um-review/
Post Posted Sat Oct 22, 2022 9:46 am
Pat Gleeson

Likes given: 303
Likes received  : 16

Dr_Jones wrote: Fri Oct 21, 2022 10:28 am Looks like the Atmos versions are not on Apple Music yet.
Or does it automatically play atmos if it's something you do in your settings?
AFAIK it should automatically default to stereo unless you turn on Atmos in the Apple Music settings on your phone / PC / Mac. The Dolby Atmos logo should appear at the bottom of the track thumbnail.

https://appleinsider.com/articles/21/06 ... le-devices

https://support.apple.com/en-ie/HT212182
Concerts attended:
Destination Docklands 1988
Paris la Defense 1990
Europe in Concert - Wembley Stadium 1993
Oxygene Tour - Wembley Arena 1997
Theatre Marigny Paris 2007
Oxygene Tour - NCH Dublin 2008
2010 Tour - The 02 Dublin The 02 London (10-10-10)
Electronica Tour - 3Arena Dublin 2016
Post Posted Sat Oct 22, 2022 10:26 pm
nexxxus

Likes given: 99
Likes received  : 23

I found this excellent comparison between the different editions of OXYMORE.
https://magicvinyldigital.net/2022/10/2 ... lby-atmos/

Tidal also offers ATMOS but I don't know how to activate it.
In any case, the vinyl is doing well.
But the postal service gods don't want me to find out with my own ears... :(
Last edited by nexxxus on Sat Oct 22, 2022 11:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Post Posted Sat Oct 22, 2022 11:09 pm
Dr_Jones

Oh, good read! I tried Tidal, but I had the same problems as you. You had to get the extra-mega-hi-def subscription (20 euros a month), but I couldn't set anything to Atmos and I couldn't find an Atmos option anywhere.
The scores for the Atmos version are pretty good! Looks like the best option next to the vinyl version. The binaural version scores pretty high too, that's good news.

Oh, you can win tickets to a listening session (in France, I guess):

https://www.rollingstone.fr/concours-de ... ideo-show/
CONCOURS : Découvrez Oxymore en présence de Jean-Michel Jarre au Paris Audio Video Show

Publié 22/10/2022

Par La Rédaction
Jean-Michel Jarre Concours
Rolling Stone vous propose de gagner 15 invitations pour le Paris Audio Video Show le 6 novembre et découvrir le nouvel album de Jean-Michel Jarre en présence de l’artiste.

Oxymore, le nouvel album de Jean-Michel Jarre, est disponible ! Toujours ambitieux et prompt à repousser les limites de la création, l’artiste présente un disque entièrement conçu et composé en multicanal et en binaural. A cette occasion, Rolling Stone vous invite au Paris Audio Video Show, dont l’artiste est parrain. Vous pourrez écouter l’album dans un auditorium Dolby Atmos et profiter de ses subtilités sonores dans des conditions optimales. Toutes les infos sur ce weekend spécial ici

Infos et billetterie

L’artiste français révèlera plus de secrets autour de ce disque dans une interview-fleuve exclusive, à retrouver dans notre numéro 147, disponible en précommande. Plus d’infos ici.

Tentez votre chance pour gagner l’une des 15 entrées en jeu pour pour le Paris Audio Video Show et la session d’écoute de 15H30 le dimanche 6 novembre avec Rolling Stone en remplissant le formulaire ci-dessous avant le 31 octobre à midi :

Bonne chance !
Les informations recueillies sur ce formulaire sont enregistrées dans un fichier informatisé pour la gestion de notre jeu-concours par notre partenaire tiers qui s’est engagé à préserver la sécurité de vos données personnelles. Nous utiliserons les informations que vous nous transmettez via ce formulaire pour vous contacter si vous êtes l’un des gagnants et vous transmettre, si vous avez donné votre consentement, notre newsletter ainsi que des informations concernant nos services. Nous conservons vos données jusqu’à la fin de la durée du jeu-concours ou jusqu’à ce que vous vous désabonniez de notre newsletter. Vous pouvez demander à tout moment de modifier ou supprimer vos données en nous contactant à l’adresse : dpo@positivemedia.fr
Pour plus d’informations, consultez notre Politique de Confidentialité.
(translated)
CONTEST: Discover Oxymore with Jean-Michel Jarre at the Paris Audio Video Show

Published 22/10/2022

By The Editor
Jean-Michel Jarre Contest
Rolling Stone is offering you the chance to win 15 invitations to the Paris Audio Video Show on 6 November and discover Jean-Michel Jarre's new album in the presence of the artist.

Oxymore, Jean-Michel Jarre's new album, is now available! Always ambitious and quick to push back the limits of creation, the artist presents a record entirely conceived and composed in multichannel and binaural. For this occasion, Rolling Stone invites you to the Paris Audio Video Show, of which the artist is a sponsor. You will be able to listen to the album in a Dolby Atmos auditorium and enjoy its sonic subtleties in optimal conditions. All the info on this special weekend here

Info and ticketing

The French artist will reveal more secrets about this record in an exclusive interview, to be found in our issue 147, available for pre-order. More info here.

Try your luck to win one of the 15 tickets for the Paris Audio Video Show and the 3.30 pm listening session on Sunday 6 November with Rolling Stone by filling in the form below before 31 October at noon:
Good luck!
The information collected on this form is recorded in a computerised file for the management of our competition by our third party partner who has undertaken to preserve the security of your personal data. We will use the information you send us via this form to contact you if you are one of the winners and to send you, if you have given your consent, our newsletter and information about our services. We keep your data until the end of the competition or until you unsubscribe from our newsletter. You can request to change or delete your data at any time by contacting us at: dpo@positivemedia.fr
For more information, see our Privacy Policy.
Post Posted Sun Oct 23, 2022 12:16 am
nexxxus

Likes given: 99
Likes received  : 23

Dr_Jones wrote: Sat Oct 22, 2022 11:09 pm Oh, you can win tickets to a listening session (in France, I guess):

https://www.rollingstone.fr/concours-de ... ideo-show/

I will content myself with the number 147 paper version that I ordered.
Waiting to receive my vinyl edition.
Post Posted Sun Oct 23, 2022 7:50 am
Finaero

Likes given: 186
Likes received  : 54

The more I listen to "Epica", the more it starts to sound like a spiritual successor to "Race in Space" for some reason - so much so that I started wondering "hey, what happened to the rapid snare drums" at times ;)
Post Posted Sun Oct 23, 2022 10:48 am
Jote

Online Now
Likes given: 55
Likes received  : 68

Dr_Jones wrote: Sat Oct 22, 2022 11:09 pm Oh, good read! I tried Tidal, but I had the same problems as you. You had to get the extra-mega-hi-def subscription (20 euros a month), but I couldn't set anything to Atmos and I couldn't find an Atmos option anywhere.
The scores for the Atmos version are pretty good! Looks like the best option next to the vinyl version. The binaural version scores pretty high too, that's good news.
Key takeaway from this review "This indicates that, despite a 48 kHz sampling rate for the Qobuz version, the music was recorded at a sampling rate of 44.1 kHz."

Which I've been saying for ages - don't get fooled by those hi-res audio scams. There's usually no extra content in them. And even if there were it's audiovoodoo, you won't be able to hear it. 44/16 was chosen in the 80s for the CD for a reason, the reason being "human hearing capabilities". The CD was designed around these requirements, not the other way around.

It's a shame that the official binaural download is a fake hi-res as well.

By the way that review has a bunch of inconsistencies. Because after that paragraph quoted above a couple of paragraphs later, in the "spectrograms" section they say the opposite

"The spectrograms of the Binaural downloaded and Qobuz, and QoBuz Hi-Res versions below are identical with a frequency limitation at 24 kHz (yellow arrow) due to the sampling frequency of 48 kHz. "

while the spectrograms quite clearly show the cutoff at 22kHz (much like the CD).
Post Posted Mon Oct 24, 2022 7:29 am
Kanta

@jeanmicheljarre, named president of the "immersive creation" commission by @LeCNC last September, has just released a new album. An album conceived as an immersive work, in binaural.

Find his interview in podcast: https://www.nova.fr/news/jean-michel-ja ... 1-10-2022/
Jarregirl YouTube
Concerts attended:
RAH, London - 2008
NIA, Birmingham - 2009
POP Bercy, Paris - 2010
NIA, Birmingham - 2010
O2 Arena, London - 2010
Post Posted Mon Oct 24, 2022 11:03 am
Domestos

Likes given: 2
Likes received  : 5

Jarreshair wrote: Fri Oct 21, 2022 7:35 am Well what a load of utter sh*t this album is.

I listened to all the tracks on Youtube.

I don't care about binaural versions or any esoteric nonsense about how the mix sounds, I just want the music to be good.

This sounds like a bag of spanners in a washing machine.

If Jarre is going to keep making non-music like this and Amazonia then he should just retire.

Remember when he use to make beautiful music that stirred emotions?
Not this shocking random collection of noises.
I'm afraid I agree although perhaps not in such strong terms.

The metaverse VR stuff does nothing for me either, pure cringe imo.
Post Posted Mon Oct 24, 2022 4:57 pm
Kanta

"I don't think I'll ever go back"
Jean-Michel Jarre opens the doors of his recording studio and lets you discover his latest album "Oxymore" in his immersive Dolby Atmos!

Video:
Jarregirl YouTube
Concerts attended:
RAH, London - 2008
NIA, Birmingham - 2009
POP Bercy, Paris - 2010
NIA, Birmingham - 2010
O2 Arena, London - 2010
Post Posted Mon Oct 24, 2022 5:25 pm
Kanta

Jarregirl YouTube
Concerts attended:
RAH, London - 2008
NIA, Birmingham - 2009
POP Bercy, Paris - 2010
NIA, Birmingham - 2010
O2 Arena, London - 2010
Post Posted Mon Oct 24, 2022 7:58 pm
Jote

Online Now
Likes given: 55
Likes received  : 68

Dr_Jones wrote: Fri Oct 21, 2022 6:18 pm That's a good point. Would be interesting!
Yeah, so it seems that the concert today (24.10) does have the fadeouts... :/
Post Posted Mon Oct 24, 2022 7:59 pm
Dr_Jones

Watching it now, I can confirm.

• 2020 Zoolook.nl