Welcome to the new BlahBlahCafe!

Having trouble registering? You can contact us at the "Contact us" link at the bottom of the page.

Pet shop boys

Post Posted Thu Feb 02, 2023 8:34 am
Finaero

Likes given: 186
Likes received  : 54

Yeah, it's always annoying when he's not given enough if any credit. Much like the 1991 US Tonight Show appearance where the cameras were focusing mostly on Neil, which Chris noticed from the nearby monitors so he left the stage.
Post Posted Fri Feb 10, 2023 9:41 pm
Dr_Jones

Likes given: 194
Likes received  : 402

Pet Shop Boys just surprisingly dropped a new track:

An beautiful anti-war and anti Putin song. It's a demo, so not much production and fiddling.
Post Posted Fri Feb 10, 2023 11:03 pm
Robi83

Likes given: 3
Likes received  : 14

Propaganda...

Then there should be an anti-Zelenskij track too. Just to reach the balance.
Post Posted Fri Feb 10, 2023 11:57 pm
Dr_Jones

Robi83 wrote: Fri Feb 10, 2023 11:03 pm Propaganda...
Propaganda released their album last year, which was pretty good (under the name xPropaganda)! Featured Claudia Bruecken and Susan Freitag, produced by Stephen Lipson, who did their first album "A Secret Wish".
Robi83 wrote: Fri Feb 10, 2023 11:03 pm Then there should be an anti-Zelenskij track too. Just to reach the balance.
But I'm pretty sure Neil Tennant, who has a degree in Russian history, knows something about the country's past (which is what Living in the past is about). This new song is one in a long line of Russia-songs PSB have written: My October Symphony, The Silver Age, Bolshy, heck, they wrote the soundtrack of famous Russian movie Battleship Potemkin! (a full list of PSB Russia inspired songs can be found here: http://www.geowayne.com/newDesign/lists/russian.htm ). Russia is like a common thread in their work.

And then there's them opening MTV Russia (footage used in the Go West video), playing Live 8 in Moscow. In other words: Russia has played an significant part in their career.
Post Posted Fri Mar 31, 2023 3:34 pm
Herr Dunkel

Likes given: 39
Likes received  : 10

SMASH - upcoming release 06-JUN-2023

The singles 1985 - 2020

Available as:
- 6 LP set + booklet
- 6 LP set + booklet (white vinyl)
- 3 cassette set (1000 copies)
- 3 CD set
- 3 CD / 2 Blu-ray set + booklet
Concerts: 2017: Upper Darby < 2010: Lille, Liège, Paris < 1997: Lille < 1990: La Défense
Post Posted Fri Mar 31, 2023 4:02 pm
Dr_Jones

Yeah, I'm going for the 3CD 2BR set, hoping the videos will have audio commentary like the PopArt DVD has. That was hilarious.
Post Posted Fri Mar 31, 2023 6:33 pm
Finaero

Very nice! Not really any extra bonus tracks, but of course re-releasing all the singles is something that JMJ would never do even if people would actually buy such a release, so PSB wins yet again ;)
Post Posted Fri Mar 31, 2023 7:22 pm
Herr Dunkel

Exactly! It would be nice to have a JMJ Singles / Remix Collection, but it won't happen... So yes, PSB FTW!
Concerts: 2017: Upper Darby < 2010: Lille, Liège, Paris < 1997: Lille < 1990: La Défense
Post Posted Sat Apr 01, 2023 2:54 pm
nexxxus

Likes given: 99
Likes received  : 23

Yes the PSB are prolific, sound good, always equal to themselves... and above all they think of their fans!
The 3 CD / 2 BR box set are really super complete.
Last edited by nexxxus on Sat Apr 01, 2023 4:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Post Posted Sat Apr 01, 2023 3:15 pm
Dr_Jones

Funny, I'm also a member of the PSB forum and there people are complaining that this is a cash grab :-D

I am getting it for the blurays, let's hope the videos are properly converted to HD. I know some of the old ones are, since they are HD on YouTube. Plus, I am really hoping for some audio commentary. The PopArt DVD had that and that was hilarious
Post Posted Sat Apr 01, 2023 10:54 pm
nexxxus

Likes given: 99
Likes received  : 23

Little throwback to this short video found some time ago of an exceptional performance of "Battleship Potemkin".
I'm desperately looking for the whole thing.
On the website https://dresdner-sinfoniker.de/hochhaus ... e/?lang=en you can read the details and also a video of all the necessary preparation with the team and the PSB.
Great moment I imagine for the spectators...
For residents, some seemed to want it to end :-D

[edit post] : as much for me the whole show is present here
https://dresdner-sinfoniker.de/hochhaus ... =255585290
Unfortunately the quality is average and it's a wide view
Last edited by nexxxus on Sun Apr 02, 2023 3:36 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Post Posted Sun Apr 02, 2023 2:50 am
Herr Dunkel

Dr_Jones wrote: Sat Apr 01, 2023 3:15 pm Funny, I'm also a member of the PSB forum and there people are complaining that this is a cash grab :-D

I am getting it for the blurays, let's hope the videos are properly converted to HD. I know some of the old ones are, since they are HD on YouTube. Plus, I am really hoping for some audio commentary. The PopArt DVD had that and that was hilarious
Yeah, people are never happy...

Apart from the cassette set, everything is fairly priced (and one could argue that the cassette set is a "statement" ;-), and the track listing, both audio and video, is nice , so what's not to like? I know, the "real fans" already have all the singles, so this new release might seem redundant (like any compilation, it is, but so what?), but hey, if they don't like it they don't have to buy it.

Yes, the comments on the PopArt video are gold. Interesting and very funny. I hope there are comments on the Smash BRs but I don't think there will be. You can only say so much about a video for a pop song. And if they re-use the PopArt comments, "real fans" are going to bitch again. But since there have been new videos since PopArt, there might be new comments. One never knows...
Post Posted Thu Aug 24, 2023 4:49 am
Herr Dunkel

Post Posted Thu Aug 24, 2023 6:25 am
Dr_Jones

I have the previous version of that, Catalogue. A must have for fans! And seeing it's going to be out in 2024, I'm guessing the new album will be in it too (probably coming out next year).
Post Posted Sun Oct 08, 2023 9:18 am
Finaero

https://www.petshopboys.co.uk/pet-texts ... 0-06/drake

Huh, looks like Drake's also pulling off a Simon Jensen

• 2020 Zoolook.nl