Welcome to the new BlahBlahCafe!

Having trouble registering? You can contact us at the "Contact us" link at the bottom of the page.

Where to find Place de La Concerde Betamax ???

Post Posted Fri May 19, 2023 8:27 am
AERO62

Likes given: 19
Likes received  : 53

I was scrolling through a few releases and noticed that there was a betamax tape... But nobody seems to own it.

Betamax had a reputation to provide slightly higher quality. I wonder how it would compare to a VHS . Not that there would be a significant difference, but probably still some difference nonetheless.

https://www.discogs.com/release/4823735 ... -Videogram
Post Posted Fri May 19, 2023 9:27 am
Dr_Jones

Likes given: 194
Likes received  : 402

I have the Betamax tape, still sealed. My plan is to once make a digital copy of it, but I have to find the time for it.
Post Posted Fri May 19, 2023 1:14 pm
AERO62

I hope you don't wait too long... it might start to degrade.
Post Posted Fri May 19, 2023 5:53 pm
Dr_Jones

True. It will help me feel the urgency.
Post Posted Sun May 21, 2023 4:41 pm
Richard-Eastham

Likes given: 160
Likes received  : 44

The line "... the first musical videogram" refers to what exactly?

Surely other (bigger and more popular) music artists in the 1970s had released concert films and live perfomances onto VHS home video tapes, hadn't they? Or was this really the first ever time? Or is the word "videogram" specifically because its a mix of examples of he projected images and live footage, almost like a long-form pop video?
--
01.09.93 Manchester / 07.06.97 Manchester / 30.03.08 London / 22.05.09 London / 10.10.10 London / 01.07.11 Monaco / 04.05.16 London / 23.07.16 Macclesfield / 06.10.16 Brighton / 07.10.16 London.
Post Posted Sun May 21, 2023 5:27 pm
Finaero

Likes given: 186
Likes received  : 54

Even though I wish there were better videos of the La Concorde gig, overall tbf I've never cared that much for it due to the tracks just being taken from the albums without any new additions :P

In fact, I really like the La Concorde single because it has unique versions of Equinoxe 7 and 8 (also horrible fake audience samples, so it's not like those were invented for the Welcome To The Other Side tracks ;)). I haven't checked any La Concorde videos in years, but I don't think those special versions were used in them?

Also, I've got no idea if it's true or not (never actually looked into it), but I once heard that the whole "Betamax is slightly better than VHS in quality" is actually the case but in a different way that most people think it is - namely, that the studio quality/professional Betamax tapes were far superior to VHS, but those were made for TV companies and the like. So maybe if the La Concorde Betamax tape is one of those "pro tapes", it might indeed be better in quality.
Post Posted Sun May 21, 2023 6:34 pm
Jote

Likes given: 55
Likes received  : 68

Finaero wrote: Sun May 21, 2023 5:27 pm Also, I've got no idea if it's true or not (never actually looked into it), but I once heard that the whole "Betamax is slightly better than VHS in quality" is actually the case but in a different way that most people think it is - namely, that the studio quality/professional Betamax tapes were far superior to VHS, but those were made for TV companies and the like. So maybe if the La Concorde Betamax tape is one of those "pro tapes", it might indeed be better in quality.
Funny you should mention that, Technology Connections just made a video about this

Post Posted Sun May 21, 2023 8:08 pm
Finaero

Likes given: 186
Likes received  : 54

Well, there we go ;)

So yeah, if anything, the Betamax version of the concert might have some slight differences at certain parts, but nothing overwhelmingly better than the VHS versions.

Or maybe, who knows, the Betamax version is a completely different edit that's not available on YT or anywhere (haven't checked) ;)
Post Posted Sun May 21, 2023 9:07 pm
AERO62

Finaero wrote: Sun May 21, 2023 8:08 pm
Or maybe, who knows, the Betamax version is a completely different edit that's not available on YT or anywhere (haven't checked) ;)
Indeed, it's a special secret Betamax that wasn't made for public release, edited to show a new perspective of the concert showing actual buildings with projections and other unseen shots. It was also made from a high resolution 70mm film. Again, very secretly.

Or at least one can keep dreaming :lol:
Post Posted Tue Jun 20, 2023 8:08 pm
Dr_Jones

Aero62: Check your PM

• 2020 Zoolook.nl