Welcome to the new BlahBlahCafe!

Having trouble registering? You can contact us at the "Contact us" link at the bottom of the page.

The Official "Quasimidi- Raven" thread

Post Posted Sat Nov 18, 2006 1:19 pm
Nico_Noyau
Assistant Admin & Bootleg Expert

Great Radek, thanks :D
Image Image
My music, webdev, photos, videos : www.nicolaskern.fr
Robert Dugenou

Attended :
Teo&Tea showcase in Cannes [France] - 20/05/2007
Théâtre Marigny, Paris [France] - 15/12/2007
<2010> Marseille [France] - 20/03/2010
Monaco - 01/07/2011
Arènes de Nîmes – 14/07/2016
Post Posted Sat Nov 18, 2006 10:22 pm
Jakob BC
English Moderator, Studio/Stage Expert

radek tymecki wrote:BTW for all who're tryin to make Oxy 7 cover I've prepared nice Eminent part ;)

eminent
Nice one, but I don't think I am going to make a cover of this nice track in the near future. But who knows?
Post Posted Sat Nov 18, 2006 10:32 pm
Finaero

Likes given: 186
Likes received  : 54

Nice.

Albeit what I really need is a grand spanking laser harp sounds for my cover :P
Post Posted Sat Nov 18, 2006 11:02 pm
Jakob BC

So the Eminent is needed again :P
Post Posted Sun Nov 19, 2006 12:34 am
Mogwai

Equin(00)xe wrote: Have you got the Raven yet????
I'm interested to hear your thoughts on it!!!
Yes, I've finally got my Raven after a looong week. :)

After I plugged it in in took some minutes before I realized how to change sounds on it. The Raven (built to be an easy synth/workstation) is -not- easy to work with IMO! Quasimidi has really made their own thing and I don't remember working on a synth with a similar system to this. I don't want to call it bad...just different.
Now when I've learned how to sequencer works and how to make my own little tunes on it it's pretty easy. :)

One thing that made me happy was that most of the sounds can be used in other genres than what the synth was marketed for. The typical techno/rave sounds are not that many. So those sites that call this outdated can not have tried it at all.
I really love the choirs, the basses, drums, some of the leads and pads. In a way it sounds very Jarre and Tangerine Dream and it fits so great among my analogue equipment.

So a nice buy I'd say. :) If you like Oxygene 7-13 and find a Raven for cheap money then buy it (expanded or not). You will feel right at home. :D
Post Posted Sun Nov 19, 2006 10:15 am
Equinoxe

Likes received  : 1

Mogwai wrote:
Equin(00)xe wrote: Have you got the Raven yet????
I'm interested to hear your thoughts on it!!!
Yes, I've finally got my Raven after a looong week. :)

After I plugged it in in took some minutes before I realized how to change sounds on it. The Raven (built to be an easy synth/workstation) is -not- easy to work with IMO! Quasimidi has really made their own thing and I don't remember working on a synth with a similar system to this. I don't want to call it bad...just different.
Now when I've learned how to sequencer works and how to make my own little tunes on it it's pretty easy. :)

One thing that made me happy was that most of the sounds can be used in other genres than what the synth was marketed for. The typical techno/rave sounds are not that many. So those sites that call this outdated can not have tried it at all.
I really love the choirs, the basses, drums, some of the leads and pads. In a way it sounds very Jarre and Tangerine Dream and it fits so great among my analogue equipment.

So a nice buy I'd say. :) If you like Oxygene 7-13 and find a Raven for cheap money then buy it (expanded or not). You will feel right at home. :D

I've never understood why people label a synth for a certain genre,The Raven has this image as a "Dance" synth,whilst it has its fair share of dance accustomed patches,like virtually every other synth ever made,its also capable of some very unique sounds,and would fit into pretty much any type of music,I too think that some of the Pads are TDish sounding.
Glad your liking it,I found that i had to read the Manual a little more in depth than i have fro other synths I've got,mainly as Quasimid seem to have there own little ways to their OS and being a Korg user most of my life it was kind of another learning curve as to how this Workstation philosophy works within the Quasimidi camp,but I actually like the syste mthat the Raven implements,I think its more aimed to be a Live tool and possibly a remixing facility,which is no bad thing..
Post Posted Fri Dec 01, 2006 6:42 pm
Equinoxe

Synthesist wrote:I remember I have seen the Cyber-6 in some gearlist from the Oxygene tour. However I didn't spot it from either the show in Katowice and Moscow. Maybe he also got it but didn't think he could use it and never used it or got rid of it quickly. I can only keep on this guessing thing.

Just been doing some digging for info about the Cyber,as i may be able to get my hands on a Cyber 6,if Jarre used it,he certainly only used it as a controllor as its a master keyboard and has no onboard sounds only the Motivator function(like that on board the Ravens only more powerful) and a sequencer for 32 channel midi reception,I've been offered one quite cheap,so dependant on its features I may buy it.
Post Posted Fri Dec 01, 2006 6:47 pm
Jakob BC

Ok I actually didn't know that t was only a master keyboard, but I have never really been looking closer into its specifications.
Post Posted Sat Jan 27, 2007 9:55 pm
Equinoxe

*BUMP*

Done another Jarre demo on the Raven today...

Oxygene 10 Raven Demo

Some additional synths used too
(Eminent 310-Phasered pad)
(JP8000-Lead melody)
(Korg Z1-Intro sweep)
(Yamaha AN1X-Vox)

everything else is off the Raven

Just out of curiosity,does anyone know what synth/Patch Jarre used for the lead on his track???
Post Posted Sat Jan 27, 2007 10:11 pm
radek tymecki

Yamaha CS80?
Post Posted Sat Jan 27, 2007 10:49 pm
Jakob BC

I have never found out whether he used the K2000 or not. Atleats he used it for the Oxygene 2 intro in Athen. It has the same character.
Post Posted Sat Jan 27, 2007 11:07 pm
radek tymecki

K2000 was used in Chrono 5 for example (those loops in background)
Post Posted Sun Jan 28, 2007 12:31 pm
Mr Pitch

Synthesist wrote:I have never found out whether he used the K2000 or not.
According to an interview in 1997 in the Keyboards magazine, Jarre said that he only used the K2000 as a master keyboard for this studio album.

Maybe to control some analog synths like ARP2600 (most of his analog gears were MIDIfied at this time)
it is not the music which is electronic, but the instruments
Post Posted Sun Jan 28, 2007 1:02 pm
Jarp2600

Was the 2600 also midified then? I can't remember.
"If you can't fix it with a hammer, you've got an electrical problem"

My soundclick * Myspace

Audio Engineer at Fast Forward Studios
Post Posted Sun Jan 28, 2007 1:04 pm
Jakob BC

Mr Pitch wrote:
Synthesist wrote:I have never found out whether he used the K2000 or not.
According to an interview in 1997 in the Keyboards magazine, Jarre said that he only used the K2000 as a master keyboard for this studio album.

Maybe to control some analog synths like ARP2600 (most of his analog gears were MIDIfied at this time)
That though actually crossed my mind yesterday.

• 2020 Zoolook.nl