Welcome to the new BlahBlahCafe!

Having trouble registering? You can contact us at the "Contact us" link at the bottom of the page.

Unedited Waiting for Cousteau

Post Posted Thu Nov 29, 2018 11:49 am
Pat Gleeson

Likes given: 303
Likes received  : 16

I've never heard Experimental 2001, so I can't comment on it. However one has to understand the context of both albums. Both parties were very upset with each other, and both understood that there were a minimum of two albums needed to finish the then current deal. Sessions 2000 was the one that was chosen first. Because it was so different to the norm and unlikely to be a commercial success on the scale usually associated with JMJ, it was mutually agreed that the one release would serve the contractual obligation. I'm sure FDM chose Sessions 2000 as the more commercial of the two, but I'm loathe to state as a matter of fact that Experimental 2001 is rubbish or otherwise. The favouring of one album over another is a personal thing from the fan point of view (e.g. some people preferring Oxygene over Equinoxe). The choice of Sessions 2000 over Experimental 2001 was purely a commercial one, made under trying circumstances. The fact it remains unreleased is more to do with the fact that the record deal was terminated when FDM realised that JMJ had provided the two albums as per contract, and the laws of diminishing returns dictated it would be way more profitable to release compilations of past work than to go to the trouble of releasing a new album with no commercial return. Experimental 2001 is very unlikely to warrant a release taking into account the time and trouble it would take to re-licence it.
Concerts attended:
Destination Docklands 1988
Paris la Defense 1990
Europe in Concert - Wembley Stadium 1993
Oxygene Tour - Wembley Arena 1997
Theatre Marigny Paris 2007
Oxygene Tour - NCH Dublin 2008
2010 Tour - The 02 Dublin The 02 London (10-10-10)
Electronica Tour - 3Arena Dublin 2016
Post Posted Mon Feb 11, 2019 3:53 pm
Hans_Best

AERO62 wrote: Here's what the wikipedia page of the album says:
Jarre utilised the unedited version as an ambient audience "warm-up" in the hours prior to the Paris la Defense concert in 1990 (and also in many concerts after this "first"), played on the specially installed public address sound system scattered throughout Paris for this event.
I was just checking the German Wiki entry:

https://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Waiting_for_Cousteau
Es existiert eine 1 Stunde 14 Minuten dauernde Version, welche als Soundtrack für die Ausstellung Konzert der Bilder (orig. Franz.: Concert d'images) im Jahre 1989 diente.[5]

[5] Eintrag zur Ausstellung Concert d'images auf http://aerozonejmj.fr
Translated:
There is a 1 hour 14-minute version, which served as a soundtrack for the exhibition Concert of the images (original Franc .: Concert d'images) in 1989. [5]

[5] Entry to the exhibition Concert d'images on http://aerozonejmj.fr
So at least we have an exact timing now :wink:

Regards,

Hans
Post Posted Wed Feb 27, 2019 10:39 pm
AERO62

Likes given: 19
Likes received  : 53

One of the members from the fan group on FB claims that a strictly limited edition CD was available during the opening of Concert D'images, and that his friend got one. Let's see if it would lead anywhere...
Post Posted Thu Feb 28, 2019 12:08 am
Dr_Jones

Likes given: 194
Likes received  : 402

Scans of sleeve and CD would be nice too.
Post Posted Thu Feb 28, 2019 6:07 am
kubrick

The complete "En attendent Cousteau" track is indeed played for the exposition in Paris "Conert d'Images" in 1989. There is no CD and there was never a release. People who said that they have a CD or copy of the complete track is pure bullshit. The complete track is never official released All the bla bla bla, is bullshit.... I was there at the time, and they gave cassettes during the exposition. (full track) I don't have the the cassette anymore, because a year after was the album En Attendent Cousteau. And I did'nt know that the track on the tape was complete. Nobody knew that the background music was a track of Jarre in 1989. The exposition was not succesful. What I remember, it was a black cassette with no print or sleeve. Just a tape in a case. And it was free.
Post Posted Thu Feb 28, 2019 8:11 am
Dr_Jones

Likes given: 194
Likes received  : 402

kubrick wrote:The complete "En attendent Cousteau" track is indeed played for the exposition in Paris "Conert d'Images" in 1989. There is no CD and there was never a release. People who said that they have a CD or copy of the complete track is pure bullshit. The complete track is never official released All the bla bla bla, is bullshit....
yeah... That's what I tend to think too. That's why I asked for scans.
Post Posted Thu Feb 28, 2019 9:17 am
Elf

Likes given: 3
Likes received  : 3

When I interviewed Jarre in November, he told me that the full version was 75 minutes, and that he had to cut it down to 47 minutes to fit in the Calypso tracks, and to 22 minutes to fit on the LP and MC. The version used at the exhibition was cut to 69 minutes.
-Elf-
http://www.elfworld.org/
"I'm not as think as you drunk I am"
Post Posted Thu Feb 28, 2019 11:38 am
AERO62

The strangest thing is on french wikipedia it reads:
Le dernier morceau de 47 minutes qui apparaît sur le CD est complété par les 22 minutes de l'édition vinyle et par les 22 autres minutes de l'édition cassette pour obtenir le morceau complet de 90 minutes présent sur le CD Concert d'images offert durant « Jarre expo » et qui servit d'ambiance sonore à cette même exposition1.
Google translate:
The last 47-minute piece that appears on the CD is completed by the 22 minutes of the vinyl edition and by the other 22 minutes of the cassette edition to obtain the complete 90-minute piece on the CD Concert Images offered during "Jarre expo" and served as a sound environment for this exhibition1.
Adds more confusion, but that is most likely false information. I've posted here in the thread links to pieces from preparations of LaDefense that weren't on the 45 min version. And JMJ himself has said that there's an unedited version...
Post Posted Sat Mar 02, 2019 3:06 pm
Pat Gleeson

Likes given: 303
Likes received  : 16

kubrick wrote: What I remember, it was a black cassette with no print or sleeve. Just a tape in a case. And it was free.
I wish I was there the same time as you because there were no cassettes mentioned or on display when I was there 13,14,15,16 July 1989. Lucky you :-)
Concerts attended:
Destination Docklands 1988
Paris la Defense 1990
Europe in Concert - Wembley Stadium 1993
Oxygene Tour - Wembley Arena 1997
Theatre Marigny Paris 2007
Oxygene Tour - NCH Dublin 2008
2010 Tour - The 02 Dublin The 02 London (10-10-10)
Electronica Tour - 3Arena Dublin 2016
Post Posted Tue Mar 05, 2019 10:17 pm
AERO62

Pat Gleeson wrote:
kubrick wrote: What I remember, it was a black cassette with no print or sleeve. Just a tape in a case. And it was free.
I wish I was there the same time as you because there were no cassettes mentioned or on display when I was there 13,14,15,16 July 1989. Lucky you :-)
The more people comment, the more confusion is created :D

3 theories so far:

There was a cassette,
There was a CD,
There was neither.
Post Posted Fri Jul 23, 2021 7:48 pm
Involution

New member here.

Years ago the unedited Waiting for Cousteau track (75 mins) was shared on Youtube under the name 'Concert d'images', of which I was lucky enough to download the audio (mp3) back then.
I'm convinced this IS the original version, since there's no repetition of any part during the whole 75 minutes.

I hope Jarre will release the unedited version as a stand alone album; it is THAT good!
Post Posted Fri Jul 23, 2021 8:28 pm
plate of chips

Likes received  : 21

Involution wrote: Fri Jul 23, 2021 7:48 pm New member here.

Years ago the unedited Waiting for Cousteau track (75 mins) was shared on Youtube under the name 'Concert d'images', of which I was lucky enough to download the audio (mp3) back then.
I'm convinced this IS the original version, since there's no repetition of any part during the whole 75 minutes.

I hope Jarre will release the unedited version as a stand alone album; it is THAT good!
Dear Involution I would Dearly love to hear this 75min WFC.
I'm not sure what I could do for you in return as I dont have any JmJ rarities.
Post Posted Sat Jul 24, 2021 3:51 pm
Jote

Likes given: 55
Likes received  : 68

Please share :)
Post Posted Sat Jul 24, 2021 6:05 pm
rinogurr

Likes received  : 47

I also downloaded this version and unfortunately it's not the original. Listen carefully, it back to beginning of the track around 47 min
Post Posted Tue Jul 27, 2021 8:58 am
Involution

Thank you Rinogurr and Plate of Chips for your thoughts on this.

I listened to the passage after minute 46. The part where it would be looped and pasted back together.
There are some ''clicks'' that would suggest some tempering there, but the high pitch bubbly sounds don't get interrupted, phased or chorused - an effect that would happen if two cuts of music would crossfade.
Also the slowed down synth drone with the high pitched synth pad appear to continue its natural ''flow''. No weird interruptions there either.

The piano does seem to catch on to the main melody riff again, but there are several piano phrases after minute 46 that are not heard in the first 46 minute on the CD version.

Also other weird sounds seem to introduce themselves in the part after minute 46.
Listen for instance to the portion at 62'00 - 62'20. This contains some faint sounds that sound like distant shots, ending with a short radio-like voicebit.
If that would be a copied part, where in the original 46 minutes can you hear that back?

• 2020 Zoolook.nl