Welcome to the new BlahBlahCafe!

Having trouble registering? You can contact us at the "Contact us" link at the bottom of the page.

Waiting for Cousteau track help with synths

Post Posted Tue Jun 27, 2017 6:18 pm
AERO62

Likes given: 19
Likes received  : 53

Hi.

I am completely clueless about music but I'm trying to use a premade midi file for making a slightly edited track to extend it as much as I want. I'm using primarily D50 plugin from Roland Cloud in FL Studio but there's some confusion with the synths. I found 2 midi versions with notes and synths laid out. There is only 5 synths though. Obviously it's not including special effects which I think would be the easier part. Some I already managed to create in ARp2600 thanks to Finaero's suggestion.

I figured the lead piano is quite simple and is already done. But the rest is really tough to dissect. Mainly, I am quite confused which synth is which in the track. There's one deep bass that fades in and out, there is some other lead that is kind of bright. And there's also a lot of background stuff going on. Some of the background ones are really long and easily mixing in and out with each other half of the time. It seems like if I find the right sound for one synth, it only fits one small part but then as the track progresses, that same synth starts to be out of place.

Can someone help with this?

Here's the midi files I found. I don't know how accurate are they?

I'm going to keep experimenting in the meantime, but in case someone is able to give more advice, I'll just put this message here.

https://www.sendspace.com/filegroup/oJi ... AMpThKv6Yg
Post Posted Thu Jun 29, 2017 8:55 am
AERO62

Well, to be honest so far I haven't progressed much. There is either still something off with the Midi file because certain synths are jumping in too abruptly or there is obviously additional processing needed.

P.S. Nevermind, slowly but surely I'm getting some results... :D
Post Posted Fri Jun 30, 2017 1:07 am
AERO62

It's for certain that one of the instruments in the track is Crystal Baschet, same one as in Tokyo Kid. On top of that, you can hear water near the end, that one seems to resemble a Stream sample from Emulator II library"Loon Garden"

Check it out http://synthmania.com/Misc/Emulator%20I ... 20reup.wav

Inside is also Bird and Wind Chimes sounds. You can hear the same bird at the very end of Calypso 3.
Post Posted Tue Jul 04, 2017 3:20 pm
AERO62

If anyone's still curiously reading this. Here's more info about the creation of the track. This was found written in 1990.
And the waiting:
On the "other side" is 'waiting for Cousteau'. Dennis Vanzetto (*) and Xavier
Bellanger (**) went on an expedition up the Amazonas according to the "jungle-
drums". They brought a DAT-recorder with them recording "jungel-sounds" and
possibly that's what we hear in the background on this very long, very
dreamish and very ambient track. There's also some Zoolook-leftover sound
effects lurking in the background here and there.

So Dennis Vanzetto and Xavier Bellanger were also working with Vangelis. Seems to be fitting because you can hear crocodile sound and some other animals in the backbground. Plus there is at least one zoolook sample that was also used in Wooloomooloo.
Post Posted Wed Jul 05, 2017 1:12 pm
AERO62

I'm surprised at how close I'm getting to making it sound decent enough for a cover. Considering I'm musically uneducated, this might turn out better than expected... Just an extremely slow progress. So much one must know even for a relatively simple melody. Now I see how much skill and talent is really required for making music...

• 2020 Zoolook.nl