Welcome to the new BlahBlahCafe!

Having trouble registering? You can contact us at the "Contact us" link at the bottom of the page.

The Green Concert - 23/09/2018

Post Posted Sun Sep 23, 2018 7:58 pm
toman

Thanks for martial_juluan on aerozone for the link.
Post Posted Sun Sep 23, 2018 9:03 pm
markuss

Likes received  : 3

You can download the brochure of the national day here:
https://roznamah.sa/media/3465/national ... t=textlink

On page 28 you´ll find the announcement of the green concert.
Post Posted Sun Sep 23, 2018 9:13 pm
SuperStarly

I didn't trust the link that was provided. The video refused to run on Adobe Flash Player, even without my ad-blockers, and it kept trying to trap me in a phishing pop-up.

The way that the Saudi Arabian government censored "Exit" is absolutely disappointing. I was expecting something like this to occur a few minutes prior to its performance, but I didn't want to think it would actually happen.

For those who didn't see the livestream, they abruptly cut it off to show the news for a whole 10 minutes or so. It is disrespectful to Jarre and to the freedom of artistic expression, not to mention that it is highly suspicious for a nation that is supposedly trying to be more progressive and open to the world. As if that weren't bad enough, they did the same exact thing with "The Time Machine," and that was the finale of the concert!

It is understandable why they would decide not to show Exit, with its controversial political agenda, but denying to air "The Time Machine" completely crosses the line for me.
When life gets rough, remember to take a breath of Oxygène.

Concerts attended:
Radio City Music Hall (2017)
Post Posted Sun Sep 23, 2018 9:20 pm
Dr_Jones

Likes given: 194
Likes received  : 402

10 minutes? They cut off the concert for 30 minutes to do a newsbroadcast!
But they have put Exit on their youtube channel

Interesting: no Edward Snowden in it.
Post Posted Sun Sep 23, 2018 9:35 pm
SuperStarly

Dr_Jones wrote:10 minutes? They cut off the concert for 30 minutes to do a newsbroadcast!
But they have put Exit on their youtube channel

Interesting: no Edward Snowden in it.
Okay, it was really 30 minutes, not 10. :oops:
If they put Exit on YouTube without featuring the playback with Edward Snowden, then what was even the point of skipping that part of the concert without warning? They may as well have done that to be inconsiderate. :|

Concerts attended:
Post Posted Sun Sep 23, 2018 9:39 pm
rinogurr

Likes received  : 47

The first 21 minutes:

Post Posted Sun Sep 23, 2018 9:39 pm
Dr_Jones

I think Saudi 1 had the news scheduled at the regular time. There was that other channel (not Saudi 1) that was still broadcasting.
Post Posted Sun Sep 23, 2018 10:00 pm
Oxynoxe

Post Posted Sun Sep 23, 2018 11:42 pm
Josue143803

SuperStarly wrote: For those who didn't see the livestream, they abruptly cut it off to show the news for a whole 10 minutes or so. It is disrespectful to Jarre and to the freedom of artistic expression, not to mention that it is highly suspicious for a nation that is supposedly trying to be more progressive and open to the world. As if that weren't bad enough, they did the same exact thing with "The Time Machine," and that was the finale of the concert!
That's very rude :x
Also, I know this is a bit of a dumb question, but why would they censor Exit? It's not like it was talking about the Saudi government.
Besides, the message basically boils down to "you have the right to have privacy, don't let anyone take it away from you"
Is it just because Snowden is a controversial political figure?
Post Posted Mon Sep 24, 2018 12:00 am
Velodynamic

Likes given: 2
Likes received  : 7

Did he play something from the new upcoming Equinoxe Infinity?

The projections on the buildings are freaking cool. Almost like good old times. :D
"The worst thing in any form of art is to be betrayed by your own habits."
- JEAN MICHEL JARRE
Post Posted Mon Sep 24, 2018 2:30 am
SuperStarly

Josue143803 wrote:I know this is a bit of a dumb question, but why would they censor Exit? It's not like it was talking about the Saudi government.
Besides, the message basically boils down to "you have the right to have privacy, don't let anyone take it away from you"
Is it just because Snowden is a controversial political figure?
From the (little) knowledge I have about Saudi Arabia, it seems to have a highly religious, traditionalist government that is particular about maintaining certain political and cultural practices. The messages that Edward Snowden and Exit have about the right to privacy from government surveillance and, to an extent, their emphasis on freedom of speech, were probably deemed as being too "radical" for the nation's current ideologies.
Velodynamic wrote:Did he play something from the new upcoming Equinoxe Infinity?

The projections on the buildings are freaking cool. Almost like good old times. :D
I didn't hear anything new from Equinoxe Infinity, though then again, I muted the channel footage after the whole "Exit" intermission for a while before realizing I had missed the first half of Oxygène, Pt. 4. :pwned:

Those building projections were great, and they reminded me of something straight out of Rendezvous Houston or Lyon.

It's Rendezvous Riyadh! :mrgreen:

Concerts attended:
Post Posted Mon Sep 24, 2018 6:08 am
toman

Anyone knows the tracklist please ?
Post Posted Mon Sep 24, 2018 6:26 am
lacobo

Had mixed feeling when watching the show yesterday. Who thought that it was a good idea to fill a quarter of the screen with an intense white banner with some comments? Or show 4 small videos at the same time with a bright 'news swirl' around it. And that was before the first 30 minutes of 'news break'.

On the other hand: The stream was 'free of charge' and of a decent quality (and mostly skip-free) And the parts that we could see where nice. For once there was more to witness than only the square meter where Jarre was playing (as in most other Jarre concert video's). With a bit of luck a better video shows up later.

B.
Post Posted Mon Sep 24, 2018 7:04 am
Dr_Jones

There was a 55 minute rerun of the concert on Al Ekhbaria this night, which started with Exit.
Post Posted Mon Sep 24, 2018 7:47 am
Kanta
English Moderator & Miss News

Likes given: 79
Likes received  : 311

Legendary French composer Jean-Michel Jarre before his first concert in #SaudiArabia on the occasion of the #SaudiNationalDay2018 : vision 2030 is sending a message to the world promoting #Sustainability and my instruments were powered by Saudi solar panels. #Saudi88

Video:
Jarregirl YouTube
Concerts attended:
Théâtre Marigny, Paris - 2007
Symphony Hall, Birmingham - 2008
RAH, London - 2008
Wembley Arena, London - 2009
NIA, Birmingham - 2009
POP Bercy, Paris - 2010
NIA, Birmingham - 2010
O2 Arena, London - 2010
Zénith Aréna, Lille - 2010