Welcome to the new BlahBlahCafe!

Having trouble registering? You can contact us at the "Contact us" link at the bottom of the page.

"Que vas-tu faire" is early Calypso 3

Post Posted Sun Aug 15, 2021 5:52 pm
Jote

Likes given: 55
Likes received  : 68

This is news to me and I haven't found this on this forum, so I guess it might be news to many of us:

Françoise Hardy's "Que vas-tu faire ?" from 1975 is essentially an early version of Calypso 3 (in the key of F instead of E♭) The chord progression is almost exactly the same, the melody at the beginning has definitely the same rhythm (although different notes):

It's not exactly clear who wrote lyrics and who wrote the music because various sources disagree on which was done by FH and which was done by JMJ :)
Post Posted Sun Aug 15, 2021 6:00 pm
Finaero

Likes given: 186
Likes received  : 54

Oh yeah, I can definitely hear it. Mash-up time for someone, perhaps ;)

(Also reminds me of the similarities between the last part of Pink Floyd's Comfortably Numb (namely the PULSE version) and Calypso 3's last part (especially in the 2009-2011 tour), both coincidentally featuring solos of some kind)
Post Posted Sun Aug 15, 2021 7:00 pm
plate of chips

Likes received  : 21

Finaero wrote: Sun Aug 15, 2021 6:00 pm

(Also reminds me of the similarities between the last part of Pink Floyd's Comfortably Numb (namely the PULSE version) and Calypso 3's last part (especially in the 2009-2011 tour), both coincidentally featuring solos of some kind)
For sure from 55sec onwards

As I have written on JmJ's tracks being Proto versions of Acid House and Trance, Zoolook imagination,
also the uniqueness of Oxy2 in Electronic music upto 1976 (also Oxy4, and to a lesser extent Oxy1, Oxy6),
I should also point out that end of Oxy5 seq + solo concept and style is borrowed from 1968 Joe90
Supermarionation by Gerry Anderson and Sylvia Anderson composer Barry Gray

11sec-41sec then 57sec-1min17sec.
Post Posted Sun Aug 15, 2021 10:18 pm
Dr_Jones

Likes given: 194
Likes received  : 402

Jote wrote: Sun Aug 15, 2021 5:52 pm It's not exactly clear who wrote lyrics and who wrote the music because various sources disagree on which was done by FH and which was done by JMJ :)
Oh wow, I never noticed.
The B-side is 100% JMJ, but yeah, writing credits on the vinyl sleeve are unclear, and the CD doesn't make it clear either. They've both proven to be capable music and lyrics writers in the past... I'm sorry I can't help you there.
Post Posted Mon Aug 16, 2021 1:29 pm
plate of chips

Likes received  : 21

Interest for me is whether JmJ played piano and guitar on this.
It's pretty nice playing in context of song.
Mature understated.

• 2020 Zoolook.nl