Welcome to the new BlahBlahCafe!

Having trouble registering? You can contact us at the "Contact us" link at the bottom of the page.

L'enquête Loumavox - Bande annonce

Post Posted Thu Dec 16, 2021 9:07 am
Kanta
English Moderator & Miss News

Likes given: 79
Likes received  : 311

L'enquête Loumavox - Bande annonce

Discovery of a forgotten synthesizer!
Students from the agricultural high school in Courcelles-Chaussy (France) discovered by chance a synthesizer from the 1960s. They went in search of Louise and Marc Voksinski, the genius creators of this machine. During their investigation the high school students will cross paths with Jean Michel Jarre. The documentary produced as part of a video workshop turns into an exceptional dive into the world of electronic music.

Video:
Jarregirl YouTube
Concerts attended:
Théâtre Marigny, Paris - 2007
Symphony Hall, Birmingham - 2008
RAH, London - 2008
Wembley Arena, London - 2009
NIA, Birmingham - 2009
POP Bercy, Paris - 2010
NIA, Birmingham - 2010
O2 Arena, London - 2010
Zénith Aréna, Lille - 2010
Port Hercule, Monaco - 2011
TUI Arena, Hannover - 2011
Festival International de Carthage - 2013
Barclaycard Arena, Birmingham - 2016
Post Posted Thu Dec 16, 2021 4:33 pm
Dr_Jones

Likes given: 194
Likes received  : 402

Here's the full movie (19 minutes)
Post Posted Thu Dec 16, 2021 9:37 pm
Richard-Eastham

Likes given: 160
Likes received  : 44

What a lovely, moving film. Beautifully made. The end really got me... > insert cry emoji <
--
01.09.93 Manchester / 07.06.97 Manchester / 30.03.08 London / 22.05.09 London / 10.10.10 London / 01.07.11 Monaco / 04.05.16 London / 23.07.16 Macclesfield / 06.10.16 Brighton / 07.10.16 London.
Post Posted Fri Dec 17, 2021 12:07 am
Dr_Jones

Agreed, it's a pretty fun movie, would watch it again.
Post Posted Fri Dec 17, 2021 2:49 pm
Dr_Jones

Looks like not everyone thinks this is a mockumentary:

https://www.synthanatomy.com/2021/12/lo ... inski.html

Loumavox, the forgotten, mysterious Synthesizer from Louise and Marc Voksinski from the 1960s , discovered by French students could be a synth history changer

Edit: “If a story sounds too good it is often not true”, this is how Hainbach reacted to my post on Instagram. I’m happy to agree. There are some weird points that I have not taken into account in this story early this morning and which give the whole thing a different color.

The website wavesandmind.org, which is given as the source in the documentary, does not exist. It was never registered. Strange indeed. Further, Hainbach says that Tom Whitwell (Music Modular) pointed out that the knobs are 3D printed. A very sophisticated technology for the 1960s.

It smells like a synth soap opera (fake story). It is not known who is staging the whole thing. Also super funny that a personality like J-M-J is onboard. As long as it is not fully proven, it remains a story, and a story can be true or fictional.

Bob Moog with the Moog Modular (1964), Don Buchla with the Buchla Modular Electronic Music Sytem (1965), Peter Zinoveiff with the VCS3 (1969), Alan Robert Pearlman with the ARP 2500 (1970), Dave Smith with the Prophet-5 (1978). All Synthesizer pioneers who have strongly influenced electronic music and instrument design.

Musicians like Klaus Schulze, Tangerine Dream, Jean-Michel Jarre made these instruments popular and shaped the history of electronic music. But the real heroes are the geniuses behind these instruments. Without them the world of synths would be different. The synth history may, however, be expanded to include two previously unknown personalities: Louise and Marc Voksinski, the developers of the Loumavox.

Loumavox is a Synthesizer that no one knows. Until recently there were no pictures, no Wikipedia entry, no sound demo, no Hainbach documentary video… nothing. That changed suddenly by accident. Students from the agricultural high school in Courcelles-Chaussy/Metz (France) discovered by chance this synth beauty from the 1960s. It was developed by Louise and Marc Voksinki in the 60s, the time when Bob Moog, Don Buchla … were working on their first synths that made history.

Both French developers had plans to commericalze synth in big quantities. But this never happened because Marc Voksinski died in an accident in 1970. As a result of this incident, Louise decided to stop and never touch the project again. Thus the Loumavox was neither fully developed nor made public.
Loumavox Louise and Marc Voksinski

Almost 60 years later, students from France discovered this unknown vintage Synthesizer. They went in search of Louise and Marc Voksinski, the genius creators of this machine and wanted to find out who they are.

In addition to the people, the students also wanted to know more about the instrument. To this end, they talked to Synthesizer experts including Jean Michel Jarre, one of the pioneers of electronic music. And one who experimented and composed with synths at an early age.

According to the synth expert the signal path is relatively classic with oscillators, filters, sequencer, etc. However, the instrument was superior to many available synthesizers at the time.

Very mysterious and ground-breaking in the historic context is that they found out that the Loumavox had functions that no one else hat at that time. Companies like Arp, Moog .. developed those much later for their instruments. Jean Michel Jarre said in the documentary:

“it was the AKS VCS 3, but I didn’t have any of the possibilities the Loumavox has…. the possibilities it has, which will be offered only way later with the Moog, ARP, etc”.

For example, the built-in low frequency oscillator can trigger the envelope generator at the same time as the sequencer. Yes, a sequencer is also included, which was very revolutionary at the time. And it sounds very rich and unique.

The discovery of this synthesizer would worth gold for the community if it’s true. Hopefully it’s not a PR campaign by a company is hiding behind this documentary. If not, it would be a historic synth moment. Not only because of the synth discovery but also because of the developers: Louise and Marc Voksinski. For Synthesizer world it would be a sensational find.
Post Posted Thu Dec 23, 2021 10:22 pm
rinogurr

Likes received  : 47

Mysterious synthesizer appraised by Jean-Michel Jarre: the video of high school students makes the buzz

In a YouTube video that has gone viral, students from the agricultural high school of Courcelles-Chaussy tell their discovery in a barn of an old synthesizer made by a Mosellane de Merten. Jean-Michel Jarre has appraised it. But the story is not over. Its secrets will be quickly revealed.

https://www.republicain-lorrain.fr/inso ... it-le-buzz
Post Posted Thu Dec 23, 2021 10:43 pm
Dr_Jones

The movie has indeed gained some attention, just saw this thread on Reddit:

With this brilliant comment:
beatmaster23 · 6 days ago

Am I the only one crying over a synth's history?
Post Posted Fri Dec 24, 2021 12:08 am
Flip Martian

Likes given: 5
Likes received  : 8

I'm astonished anyone could think it was real, really. There are too many clues to suggest otherwise. Especially for anyone who knows much about synths. I am though really interested in seeing why this has been made and what comes next.
Post Posted Fri Dec 24, 2021 7:25 am
Finaero

Likes given: 186
Likes received  : 54

I'm still hoping for someone to come across the barn where the full original unedited lossless quality recordings of Paris La Defense are stored ;)
Post Posted Fri Dec 24, 2021 8:46 am
Dr_Jones

Flip Martian wrote: Fri Dec 24, 2021 12:08 am I'm astonished anyone could think it was real, really. There are too many clues to suggest otherwise. Especially for anyone who knows much about synths. I am though really interested in seeing why this has been made and what comes next.
User 1906 thinks this might be a commercial stunt to introduce a new synth, but it might be a student film too, that is my theory. But production value is pretty high and you have JMJ in your film too.
Post Posted Sun Dec 26, 2021 7:20 pm
Flip Martian

Dr_Jones wrote: Fri Dec 24, 2021 8:46 am
Flip Martian wrote: Fri Dec 24, 2021 12:08 am I'm astonished anyone could think it was real, really. There are too many clues to suggest otherwise. Especially for anyone who knows much about synths. I am though really interested in seeing why this has been made and what comes next.
User 1906 thinks this might be a commercial stunt to introduce a new synth, but it might be a student film too, that is my theory. But production value is pretty high and you have JMJ in your film too.
While I don't actually like PR stunts like this, I was hoping it might be something other than a student film. BUt yeah, could be either, realistically.
Post Posted Sun Dec 26, 2021 7:21 pm
Flip Martian

Finaero wrote: Fri Dec 24, 2021 7:25 am I'm still hoping for someone to come across the barn where the full original unedited lossless quality recordings of Paris La Defense are stored ;)
More likely to be being guarded by Elvis on the moon, I guess... :lol:
Post Posted Sat Jan 01, 2022 4:25 pm
rinogurr

Likes received  : 47

Post Posted Sat Jan 01, 2022 9:11 pm
Dr_Jones

Nice to see the makers and JMJ speak about this project.

JMJ sure loves playing in mockumentaries. In 2000, he starred in Le Dernier Plan which was a mockumentary about Romanian writer Constantin Dolinescu.

• 2020 Zoolook.nl