Welcome to the new BlahBlahCafe!

Having trouble registering? You can contact us at the "Contact us" link at the bottom of the page.

Moscow 1997 concert alternative video

Post Posted Wed Mar 02, 2022 1:44 pm
AERO62

Likes given: 8
Likes received  : 23

I have never seen this video before. It appears he has recorded the radio broadcast with a camera mic which also happened to capture live concert sound from the distance. There was a 3 second delay between the real sound and the radio. I guess it's safe to assume he has not recorded the actual broadcast on to audio cassette, which could have been interesting to hear.

The taper has answered that the camera used was Sony Handycam DCR-VX 1000E Mini-DV Camcorder 3CCD 10x opt. Zoom

Post Posted Wed Mar 02, 2022 1:57 pm
AERO62

Just digged a bit more info on the person who filmed it. He is a russian scientist who has a wikipedia article... No wonder he had access to expensive camera and a great location with the view of the university.
Post Posted Wed Mar 02, 2022 4:28 pm
Finaero

Likes given: 101
Likes received  : 36

Cool finds - always amuses me how the "chorus fireworks/light display" in Magnetic Fields 1 was repeated during the second chorus on the official video, even though in the audience footage you can see there wasn't such a thing ;)

(Somewhat similar to how video footage from Equinoxe 5 and Rendez-Vous 4 was used in the PLD video even though the tracks themselves were omitted)
Post Posted Wed Mar 02, 2022 9:29 pm
AERO62

The taper has uploaded more

Post Posted Mon Mar 07, 2022 11:44 pm
AERO62

Lots of interesting photos of the stage, gear, projections, etc .

http://jsa-stage.company/jsa-stage-jean ... scow-1997/
http://jsa-stage.company/jsa-stage-jean ... scow-1997/

FM Radio broadcast was done by the radio station "silver rain"

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Silver_Rain_Radio
Post Posted Tue Mar 08, 2022 1:23 am
Dr_Jones

Likes given: 76
Likes received  : 115

Risking my own life, I found some more information about the Silver Rain broadcast on a Russian forum.
It was a 40 minutes broadcast, in mono. After that, they played Calypso with audience noise and at the beginning there's a jingle which went like "Hello! This is Jean Michiel Jarre talking to you".
Post Posted Tue Mar 08, 2022 7:48 am
AERO62

Dr_Jones wrote: Tue Mar 08, 2022 1:23 am Risking my own life, I found some more information about the Silver Rain broadcast on a Russian forum.
It was a 40 minutes broadcast, in mono. After that, they played Calypso with audience noise and at the beginning there's a jingle which went like "Hello! This is Jean Michiel Jarre talking to you".
Could you link it? Too bad if it was in mono... I was hoping for stereo. Ah well. I guess warrior video version is as good as it gets then.
Post Posted Tue Mar 08, 2022 8:01 am
Finaero

Likes given: 101
Likes received  : 36

Is it the same as this one?

[removed link: same as on the FTP]

Incidentally, that'd be the first JMJ bootleg I ever got back in March 2003 apparently (after all, I could do that with my 56k modem of the time ;)).

The files I've got seem to be 58 minutes in total and not only has a lot of the concert been cut out, but there are some edits like 50% of Ethnicolor missing (there's JMJ's speech at the beginning and then it fades into the last part of Ethnicolor after the translator's finished) - however, I can't be too sure about the missing tracks because there's a high chance that when I got my hands on a DSL connection later that year, I just didn't bother with the mono radio broadcast anymore due to finding the other recordings
Last edited by Finaero on Wed Mar 09, 2022 9:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
Post Posted Tue Mar 08, 2022 8:28 am
Dr_Jones

Likes given: 76
Likes received  : 115

AERO62 wrote: Tue Mar 08, 2022 7:48 am Could you link it? Too bad if it was in mono... I was hoping for stereo. Ah well. I guess warrior video version is as good as it gets then.
https://rutracker.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=680285
Post Posted Tue Mar 08, 2022 9:25 am
AERO62

This is funny. I actually was the one who created that torrent :D I guess I forgot the discussion. He said his recording was mono, not necessarily the radio.
Post Posted Tue Mar 08, 2022 9:13 pm
AERO62

I have found a folder called "moscow rehearsals". It's just audio with a few tracks. I haven't listened to them fully, they are probably very similar to the concert version...

Btw, it seems the radio broadcast or something similar to it (mono after all) is in your FTP already. :clap:
Post Posted Wed Mar 09, 2022 3:50 pm
AERO62

Well, what do you know. I used stereodizer and a few other plugins on the version from the database and it sounds way better now... Hmm... But i'm not even sure if it was actually any broadcast or was it just somebody recording with mic near the speaker.
Last edited by AERO62 on Wed Mar 09, 2022 8:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Post Posted Wed Mar 09, 2022 7:56 pm
AERO62

Ah I think I see now. It's the same audio that Warrior video used. His bootleg was never actually stereo, it was just processed to sound a bit better than pure mono. In any case, still curious to hear the 40 min of the radio broadcast... So far haven't found it anywhere. Well, apart from the guy on FB who showed the cassette but didn't want to reply about any trade/sale.
Post Posted Thu Mar 10, 2022 11:06 pm
AERO62

Btw the radio host advertised that they had received permission to broadcast 2 hours of the concert in stereo. So there's got to be a stereo recording of it somewhere.
Post Posted Sat Mar 12, 2022 1:07 pm
AERO62

So I took the risk of resyncing his video to the mono recording that was in the database. Except it's not mono anymore after all the witchcraft I used on it. I think it's nicer to watch now that there is no talking in the background. Still would best if we could find the stereo radio broadcast instead... But so far no luck.

I didn't ask the person who uploaded it. I mean, I have tried to ask for the source but he just wouldn't reply. So I thought , alright then I'll work with what I have. If he doesn't like it, I guess I'll delete it.

• 2020 Zoolook.nl