Welcome to the new BlahBlahCafe!

Having trouble registering? You can contact us at the "Contact us" link at the bottom of the page.

Peter Gabriel (Solo)

Post Posted Wed Nov 09, 2022 2:03 am
docklands88

Are there any Peter Gabriel fans on this forum? Peter Gabriel is often (unfairly) overlooked when it comes to electronic musicians however he has a long history of using synths, samplers (he was among the first musicians to use a Fairlight CMI) and digital production.

For me, his third & fourth studio albums are undisputed masterpieces. Tracks like Intruder, Games Without Frontiers, The Rhythm Of The Heat, Shock The Monkey are incredible songs however it was Lay Your Hands On Me that got me into Peter's music. That song is absolutely breathtaking and the version he performed live in Athens on his 'This Way Up' tour is mesmerising.

In my opinion, Peter Gabriel is one of the few musicians who've NEVER released a bad album. That is an incredibly rare/hard feat to achieve for an artist that's been around as long as he has.

After a 20 year wait, his new album I/O is imminent and is perhaps one of the most highly anticipated releases in some time. He also announced a new tour yesterday that will support I/O and is his first major tour since the 'Back To Front' tour of 2014. I was lucky enough to get a presale ticket for his concert at the O2 arena on June 19th next year and cannot wait. Seeing Peter Gabriel live was at the top of my list. I can't believe it's finally happening! Sure, the ticket prices for the forthcoming I/O tour are astronomical however I couldn't pass up the opportunity of seeing one of my all-time favourite musicians live. Tour dates and ticket information can be found at www.petergabriel.com

I thought it'd be good to start a Peter Gabriel thread to discuss his music and live performances. I'd love to hear what my fellow forum members think about his work. What are your favourite songs/albums? Have you seen him live in the past? Will you be buying/downloading I/O when it's released and/or getting tickets for the new tour?

I look forward to hearing your thoughts!
Concerts Attended :

Tour 2010: Cardiff CIA 06/10/10
Electronica World Tour: Cardiff CIA 04/10/16

Favorite Concert: Destination Docklands 1988
Post Posted Wed Nov 09, 2022 6:57 am
Dr_Jones

Likes given: 194
Likes received  : 402

I've seen him two times live, one was the Growing Up tour, the other was the Still Growing Up tour. Quite surprised there's an album coming, after so many years. Last time I heard about it was last year when producer Stephen Hague was being interviewed by a music related youtube-channel who had taken a mission to ask everyone involved with Peter Gabriel at any point in time about the status of the new album. Hague told him the album was being worked on, so I guess he's involved too. 20 years since the Up album...

I love his Passion album and I think So and Us are great. Thoroughly enjoyed the 1994 live album. The guy has a great attention to detail in his releases and his live performances.
Post Posted Wed Nov 09, 2022 8:10 pm
shadow

Likes received  : 35

I've only heard his Passion album, and that album is absolutely godtier and one of the best I've heard. Other pieces he's made, are those similar in vibe, or is it mostly similar to the stuff posted in the video?
27-11-10: Ahoy Rotterdam
22-11-16: Heineken Music Hall Amsterdam
Post Posted Wed Nov 09, 2022 10:31 pm
Dr_Jones

Likes given: 194
Likes received  : 402

shadow wrote: Wed Nov 09, 2022 8:10 pm I've only heard his Passion album, and that album is absolutely godtier and one of the best I've heard. Other pieces he's made, are those similar in vibe, or is it mostly similar to the stuff posted in the video?
He's mostly known for his songs, Passion is a bit of a side-project for him. He's done the soundtrack of Rabbit Proof Fence which is a bit comparable. The album Secret World Live is a must listen. Not only it's a great selection of songs he's done over the years up to the 90s, but the live versions are well done too. It gives a good impression of his songwriting skills.
Post Posted Thu Nov 10, 2022 1:19 pm
docklands88

Dr_Jones wrote: Wed Nov 09, 2022 6:57 am I've seen him two times live, one was the Growing Up tour, the other was the Still Growing Up tour. Quite surprised there's an album coming, after so many years. Last time I heard about it was last year when producer Stephen Hague was being interviewed by a music related youtube-channel who had taken a mission to ask everyone involved with Peter Gabriel at any point in time about the status of the new album. Hague told him the album was being worked on, so I guess he's involved too. 20 years since the Up album...

I love his Passion album and I think So and Us are great. Thoroughly enjoyed the 1994 live album. The guy has a great attention to detail in his releases and his live performances.
I think many Peter Gabriel fans gave up hope that a new studio album would happen given the 20 year wait for I/O, yet here we are. It's pretty incredible the lengths he goes to when recording an album as he doesn't restrict himself at all. There is an episode of The Southbank Show on YouTube that documented when Peter was recording his fourth solo record, it's a fascinating look into his creative process.
Concerts Attended :

Tour 2010: Cardiff CIA 06/10/10
Electronica World Tour: Cardiff CIA 04/10/16

Favorite Concert: Destination Docklands 1988
Post Posted Thu Nov 10, 2022 2:31 pm
plate of chips

Likes received  : 21

I can't say I'm a fan of any musician not even JmJ.
I'm into lots of music they do, been influenced lots by them musically.

90s were The time for JmJ to make an album with PG.
Both had already brought much elements from different parts of the World into their music.

JmJ would have resampled PG's voice treated it with fx chopped it up made leads sequences with it.
PG with his atmospheric synth pads and diverse ideas on percussion.
Instrumentalists from Real World label would added a lot to such an album.
JmJ would done plenty processing to the parts played by those instrumental musicians from Real World label to make them sound Electronic.

• 2020 Zoolook.nl